Deledio Vs Griffen

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't know if you meant to say rarely instead of of really. If you're claiming Cousins has stood out at Richmond more than West coast you're kidding yourself.

I'll assume you meant rarely.

Nathan Brown played his best footy at Richmond. Unfortunately it was for only a season and a half due to injury.

Cousins is a ridiculous example. You really are showing your lack of football intellect.

Didn't cousins come 5th in your best and fairest after doing a hammy and missing alot of footy? He stands out head and shoulders above the majority of your team as a 32 year old recovering drug addict that had a year out of the game. The skills and football nous in particular. He has lost a yard of pace and has had his fair share of injuries since being at your club yet is still one of the best players without a doubt.

Pretty hard to argue against i would have thought.

You've got your head in the sand thinking that everything that has gone wrong at Richmond has just been recruitment. It's the development of players that has really let you down. Sure Fiora was bad at the saints but there are many more success stories of players leaving your club to go on to becoming good players.

I would dearly love to have both in my side.

But posters cannot seriously compare the two - one is playing for a stacked team and (whilst he's playing very well), he has the assistance of playing alongside some elite/A-grade midfielders who take the heat off him.

Deledio is the main man at Richmond. With much of the focus directed at shutting him down.

Deledio has the support of Foley, Cousins, Cotchin, Martin, Jackson, Tambling and Collins.

Cousins > Cooney
Foley > Higgins
Jackson < Boyd
Martin > Gia
Tambling > Aker
Collins > Cross
Jackson > Ward/Picken/Addison

lolwut. You're not supposed to troll your own team.

Deledio is better. He is clearly underrated. Has won a BnF and kicks goals as a midfielder, lately he has improved his defensive game and if he continues, he will average over 4-5 tackles a game while gathering contested ball, like he's doing now. Before anyone says a Richmond BnF is easy to win, if you go through every Griffen year, he would have never won it at the Tigers or in Deledio's year.

I am a massive fan of both, they break lines and kick long. Can also kick a long goal. However, Griffen hasnt done much, he teases too much. Deledio is in front comfortably for mine and it will stay like that.

I'm not saying winning a bnf at Richmond is easy, but Griff is competing for that award with two AA defenders (Lake and Morris), a brownlow medallist in his prime (Cooney), two of the better inside midfielders going around (Cross and Boyd) as well as previously being up against the AA captain in 06 (Johnson) and Aker who has been handy since coming across.

Griffen for mine, he is finally starting to fire.

Deledio would win a Brownlow at Footscray. Griffen would be Bay 13 fodder at Richmond.

Most Richmond players are bay13 fodder, though. Not just because they are Deledio, or Griffen if he was a tiger for that matter.

So... you're saying I'm right?

I'm saying any Richmond player is bay 13 fodder. No matter what, they are still playing for Richmond.

Anyway, that isn't the point of this poll.

The people have spoken and it appears Deledio and Griffen are even in the eyes of the people. D-Lids has one more vote now but for the most part it has been even pegging. You'll see this change but I don't think either player will get more than three votes ahead before somebody chooses the other. I'd say that are even, but I'd rather Griffen if I needed to choose one because he is at the Bulldogs.

Deledio, he is a freak, unfortunately for him, he will be the next Richo in terms of going nowhere with his current club...

Come to the Blues son! :thumbsu:

Griffen is also of high quality, but seems to fade more often than not... Has more room for improvement though IMO...

We have our own version, Kade Simpson! :cool:

One year on and have any opinions changed?

In his "10 things I like" on the Herald Sun website, Mark Robinson had this to say:

link
6. Ryan Griffen

Elite. Next.
link

Admittedly I haven't seen much of Deledio this year, but Griffen has been our best player along with Matthew Boyd. Would probably lead this poll on current form.

Robbo also put Lids in his AA team in this article...
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/tackle

Until Deledio plays in a successful team opinions wont ever change because the question will always stand regarding his potential and how good he could be in the right team. Until then, the argument will stand (not saying its necessarily correct) that a player wont reach their full potential in a struggling team.

On the other hand to your argument, Griffen's reputation has only risen as the team he is playing in has fallen.

In a top 4 team he was pidgeon-holed as a downhill skier. Now he's in a struggling team people are starting to realise just how good he is.

Probably best highlighted by the Carlton supporter above comparing Griffen to Kade Simpson. That comparison was made at the start of 2010. Kade Simpson as a footballer isn't in the same ballpark as Griffen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would never have called Griffen a downhill skier, throwing that sort of criticism around is probably best left for one-eyed supporters. His form so far this year does put a different spin on things, its just as much a credit to his character as it is his playing ability to consistently play well when your team mates don't seem to be returning too many favours. In comparison, consistency hasnt been a strong point of Deledios game, although it would be fair to say that he no longer goes missing like he did two years ago.

On character grounds you'd love Griffen over Deledio.

Yes, looks like to Dogs are in for a lean patch. Does Griffen come out and delay contract talks? no- he signs up and is basically a Dog for life.

Deledio gets made a life member of his club, you'd think he'd have signed up well and truly by now.

Griffen- best and fairest in a quality side AND a committed club man.

Deledio- dual best and fairest in a rubbish side AND considering walking out.

On character grounds you'd love Griffen over Deledio.

Yes, looks like to Dogs are in for a lean patch. Does Griffen come out and delay contract talks? no- he signs up and is basically a Dog for life.

Deledio gets made a life member of his club, you'd think he'd have signed up well and truly by now.

Griffen- best and fairest in a quality side AND a committed club man.

Deledio- dual best and fairest in a rubbish side AND considering walking out.

so an unquoted heraldsun article postulating he may delay talks is fact is it? absolute rubbish post.

In the end- has he signed up?

If he was as committed to the club he has just been made a life member of as Griffen is to the Dogs, the article would never have come up.

It's probably not up for debate anyway. The only time Deledio has ever been better than Griffen at AFL level was in their first season. And even then he was only just better.

Funny that they have both spent time at half back, but the truly better player emerged as a midfielder.

In the end- has he signed up?

If he was as committed to the club he has just been made a life member of as Griffen is to the Dogs, the article would never have come up.

It's probably not up for debate anyway. The only time Deledio has ever been better than Griffen at AFL level was in their first season. And even then he was only just better.

Funny that they have both spent time at half back, but the truly better player emerged as a midfielder.

he is still in contract for this year so why the hurry? or was it the lack of interest from other clubs for griffen so he may as well sign early?:D
and this will get the tired response of lower team b+f's but he has won 2 from the midfield. only went back bc our team sucked with skill out from there. either way we will tell this year with him back in the centre.

he is still in contract for this year so why the hurry? or was it the lack of interest from other clubs for griffen so he may as well sign early?:D
and this will get the tired response of lower team b+f's but he has won 2 from the midfield. only went back bc our team sucked with skill out from there. either way we will tell this year with him back in the centre.

Every single time Griffen has come out of contract, he has been chased massively by several clubs. Most notably Adelaide and Essendon.

In regard to B&F's, Deledio did win them in a lower placed team, and when your other star players weren't up and going. 2008 he beat a very good Richo, but in 2009 he had no competition at all.
Griffen won his in a top 4 team, where we made the preliminary final, with several other players who could have taken it out.

In regard to the poll, obviously I choose Griffen. He is more damaging than Deledio, both set up the play for their teams. They are very even statistically. Im looking forward to seeing Deledio more in the middle this year, though.

Every single time Griffen has come out of contract, he has been chased massively by several clubs. Most notably Adelaide and Essendon.

In regard to B&F's, Deledio did win them in a lower placed team, and when your other star players weren't up and going. 2008 he beat a very good Richo, but in 2009 he had no competition at all.
Griffen won his in a top 4 team, where we made the preliminary final, with several other players who could have taken it out.

In regard to the poll, obviously I choose Griffen. He is more damaging than Deledio, both set up the play for their teams. They are very even statistically. Im looking forward to seeing Deledio more in the middle this year, though.

i did say the tired response about b+f's!

Chose Griffin.

He's stepped up his game a hell of a lot in the past couple of years and he gets it done in the midfield.

If Deledio stops hiding in the backline and goes into the midfield and puts up similar numbers and hurts teams on the scoreboard like Griffin then my vote will change, but until then, Griffin is a better player as he is a very damaging goal-kicking midfielder.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back