Mega Thread Delist/Trade/Draft Supermegaultrathread - It's Never Too Soon edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You could do that exercise for every draft for every club and get similar results nearly every time.

Go have a look and you will se just how good the 2008 draft was. Yes every draft has a slider or two but 2008 was a deep draft. After Naitanui we had 5 picks starting at 18 that could have netted:
  1. Ballantyne,
  2. Zaharakis,23
  3. J Trengrove,
  4. J Redden,25
  5. Dayne Beams,29
  6. D Hannebery, 30
  7. Steven Motlop, 39
  8. M Robinson,40
  9. R Sloan,44
  10. M Walters,53
  11. S Savage 75
  12. + Tom Rockliff PSD
  13. Rookies L Bruest
  14. M Suckling.
2008 was a deep draft.

With 5 picks we landed Shuey which is still good but geez we really did swing and miss after that and ended up with a 20% success rate in a deep draft.

Yes hindsight is wonderful but that was a target rich draft and we missed out badly. I'm a glass half full thinker most of the time but looking back we had a stinker in 2008. Also shows that there are good players who go later in drafts. Not sure what the club spends on scouting but lets double it:thumbsu:

Id be happy to sign Malceski if he didnt cost too much and didnt want too many years. I think he will cost too much though.

He would be really suited to Freo, and think it would be a logical signing for them.

Will all due respect he's 29-30

One injury away from retirement

Noooooooooooo..............

We don't need a type like him either

I also doubt he would move all the way to wa either to be honest

He's a great player no doubt but please don't recruit this guy

Will all due respect he's 29-30

One injury away from retirement

Noooooooooooo..............

We don't need a type like him either

I also doubt he would move all the way to wa either to be honest

He's a great player no doubt but please don't recruit this guy

I only want to recruit him if he's cheap.

He won't be cheap.

Lets hope his age isnt an issue and he has put that whole postcards to coppers thing behind him hey? hey?

ahhhh oh well. At least he has a nickname lined up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Go have a look and you will se just how good the 2008 draft was. Yes every draft has a slider or two but 2008 was a deep draft. After Naitanui we had 5 picks starting at 18 that could have netted:
  1. Ballantyne,
  2. Zaharakis,23
  3. J Trengrove,
  4. J Redden,25
  5. Dayne Beams,29
  6. D Hannebery, 30
  7. Steven Motlop, 39
  8. M Robinson,40
  9. R Sloan,44
  10. M Walters,53
  11. S Savage 75
  12. + Tom Rockliff PSD
  13. Rookies L Bruest
  14. M Suckling.
2008 was a deep draft.

With 5 picks we landed Shuey which is still good but geez we really did swing and miss after that and ended up with a 20% success rate in a deep draft.

Yes hindsight is wonderful but that was a target rich draft and we missed out badly. I'm a glass half full thinker most of the time but looking back we had a stinker in 2008. Also shows that there are good players who go later in drafts. Not sure what the club spends on scouting but lets double it:thumbsu:

There's a few gems there, sure. Not sure we need to have any angst about missing Trengove (is he any better than our current key backs?), Robinson (good honest trier), Savage (struggling to get a game at St Kilda) or Suckling (was a scholarship pick from memory).

We could have had one of Ballantyne, Zaharakis, Redden, Beam or Hannebery instead of Swift. That's unfortunate. But Swift was a high-risk, potential high-reward pick because he was considered a top prospect as an under 16 but basically didn't play for the two years after that. He was being talked about as possibly going top 10, and wouldn't have been around at 36, so the club rolled the dice. It didn't pay off. That's drafting.

We could have had Motlop or Sloane instead of Smith. We could have had Walters instead of JJones, although bear in mind Walters was a bee's whatsit away from being delisted a couple of years ago before he came good. Every club passed over Rockliff, and Breust.

That's not a stinker. For a stinker I refer you to the 2009 draft.

There's a few gems there, sure. Not sure we need to have any angst about missing Trengove (is he any better than our current key backs?), Robinson (good honest trier), Savage (struggling to get a game at St Kilda) or Suckling (was a scholarship pick from memory).

We could have had one of Ballantyne, Zaharakis, Redden, Beam or Hannebery instead of Swift. That's unfortunate. But Swift was a high-risk, potential high-reward pick because he was considered a top prospect as an under 16 but basically didn't play for the two years after that. He was being talked about as possibly going top 10, and wouldn't have been around at 36, so the club rolled the dice. It didn't pay off. That's drafting.

We could have had Motlop or Sloane instead of Smith. We could have had Walters instead of JJones, although bear in mind Walters was a bee's whatsit away from being delisted a couple of years ago before he came good. Every club passed over Rockliff, and Breust.

That's not a stinker. For a stinker I refer you to the 2009 draft.

Ay Caramba!

Not surprised we're into him. Should have got him last year but didn't have enough picks, certainly happy with the rookies we picked up. Abbott and Powell would certainly add some serious pace and ball use to our side if they proved good enough.

Bringing in old guys at this stage just to make finals leads to a false dawn and wasted time. WC's goal should never be to merely make the finals, but rather to win flags. Malceski would have no part in the latter. Hence his acquisition being a waste of time. The club rising up the ladder on the back of the oldies can set WC's build time back. Better to build from the ground up. Bringing in Malceski is asking for a repeat of 2011 and '12, whereby WC had solid seasons but were ultimately not good enough. Thereafter they're back at square one going the rebuild, two wasted years down the track. So, if WC acknowledge and accept that they're in a building phase and not bother with bringing in oldies, they could save themselves time and get on with the building that needs to be done. Bringing in Malceski is a futile attempt at a shortcut.

I just think the downside is minimal.

Yes we are a building side but strengthening our side in the short term doesn't compromise that IMO. As boda said we may slightly weaken our draft position over the next two years or so but we can't be in the business of trying to score decent picks in every year we're not premiership favourite.

We've had high draft picks in 6 out of the last 8 drafts. At what point are we done with a rebuild? We can't perpetually sit in the bottom half of the ladder, taking draft pick after draft pick and waiting until we're confident we're a top 2 side.

As I said, if I thought we were going to be consigned to the bottom 8 for the next 3 years I wouldn't have the same interest as I do. But I still think next year we will play finals in which case I'd prefer a Nick Malceski on the list instead of a Blayne Wilson, for instance.

Malceski isn't such a good player that he'd 'artificially' weaken our draft position significantly. But he would improve us as a side and give us a better chance of making the 8 if we were already pretty close.

Our recruiting has been poor since 2007.

I reckon we did well in a very poor draft in 2007. Picking up three best 22 players in Masten, Ebert and Selwood is a solid effort considering the talent pool.

2008 was solid and 2010 was very good. 09 was poor, and the jury is still out on 11-13.

What we've failed to do is pick any real elite player (putting Naitanui aside for a moment) and instead opted for a more conservative approach netting 'safe bets' which has cost us to an extent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back