B: Grimes Rance Batchelor
HB: Yarran Chaplin Houli
C: B Ellis Cotchin McIntosh
HF: Deledio Riewoldt Lennon
F: Edwards Vickery Yarran
R: Maric Miles Martin
I/C: Conca, Grigg, C Ellis, Moore

Depth
Griffiths, Lambert, Astbury, Menadue, Townsend, Rioli, Hunt, Lloyd, Markov, Drummond, Morris, Hampson

No space in your side for Vlastuin?

Round one I think I wanna see-

Grimes - Chaplin - Batchelor
Houli - Rance - Yarran
B Ellis - Vlastuin - McIntosh
Lennon - Vickery - Deledio
Edwards - Riewoldt - Griffiths
Maric - Cotchin - Martin
Miles - Conca - C Ellis - A Moore/Menadue/Grigg

Houli - Rance - Yarran
Maric - Cotchin - Martin
Griffiths needs a mammoth pre season to be selected round one IMO

Kicked the ball well and made good decisions with it in the match practise. He is the bigger bodied player we sought in the trade period good penetrations accuracy and also one of our best in the 1km time trials. Had he not been injured last year he would have been a regular for gws. Good frame

I will be surprised if Griffiths isn't in the side round 1. Unless McBean is in. The match committee was keen to rush him back for the final so they obviously see him as an important part of the side. I expect Jack to continue his role from last season at CHF, Vickery to play mostly deep at FF and Griffiths to be the floating tall forward/back up ruck. I think he'll do a lot more ruckwork than Ty this year and probably be used between the arcs a fair bit. He could be a real asset in this role. With the sub rule gone I think you'll see most sides go with a similar structure.

I will be surprised if Griffiths isn't in the side round 1. Unless McBean is in. The match committee was keen to rush him back for the final so they obviously see him as an important part of the side. I expect Jack to continue his role from last season at CHF, Vickery to play mostly deep at FF and Griffiths to be the floating tall forward/back up ruck. I think he'll do a lot more ruckwork than Ty this year and probably be used between the arcs a fair bit. He could be a real asset in this role. With the sub rule gone I think you'll see most sides go with a similar structure.
I just don't think he's in our best 22 players and with the sub rule gone I would rather an extra runner than a tall forward.

North worked out how to defend against our three talls and we had no forward pressure because we were too slow down there.

I just don't think he's in our best 22 players and with the sub rule gone I would rather an extra runner than a tall forward.

North worked out how to defend against our three talls and we had no forward pressure because we were too slow down there.

At the same time, Id expect many teams to adopt two rucks again.

Houli - Rance - Yarran
Maric - Cotchin - Martin
If that's our round one side I'll be disappointed as I am hoping one of our newbies (not Yarran)is so good they just have to play him.

Hope there is more rotation of players this year.
Hampson should fill in to give maric a spell everyone so often.
Same for vickery with mcbean & griffiths.
C.Ellis, Lennon and the other young kids needs same game time too, at least they should get a crack when playing the weaker teams.

My best 22 before the practice games.

Vlastuin-Rance-Batchelor
Grimes-Chaplin-Houli
B Ellis-Cotchin-C Ellis
Deledio-Vickery-Lennon
Edwards-Riewoldt-Yarran
Maric-Miles-Martin
I/C
Conca, Grigg, McIntosh, Townsend

Depth
Griffiths, Lambert, Astbury, Menadue, Moore, Rioli, Hunt, Lloyd, Markov, Drummond, Morris, Hampson

While the drop off in quality is obvious as you go down the list of depth its clear it's a pretty versatile group of players to bring in to play a role depending on injuries/suspension. Many have played afl footy and will want a spot in the 22, many are hard nuts too, so competition will be fierce.

On the 22, that's as hard running and versatile a group we can put out there while maintaining continuity amongst those who have played together for 4+ years now.
The ball can zip up and down the wing and there is enough height to swing players around to create mismatches up forward or plug holes down back.

A lot of talk of inside footy needing to be improved this off season and I agree, but it's not something one player will fix; the entire midfield needs to buy in.
I believe they will, that's as nuggety a midfield as any when you look down the bench and flanks who will run through the guts to give the engine room rest.
A lot of talk of inside footy needing to be improved this off season and I agree, but it's not something one player will fix; the entire midfield needs to buy in.
And on that basis wouldn't mind the blowtorch on B Ellis a bit more.

Kicked the ball well and made good decisions with it in the match practise. He is the bigger bodied player we sought in the trade period good penetrations accuracy and also one of our best in the 1km time trials. Had he not been injured last year he would have been a regular for gws. Good frame
Good to hear ~ cos we need improvement in that area big time

And on that basis wouldn't mind the blowtorch on B Ellis a bit more.
in regards to your B.ellis comment, he and the club have been saying they are working on him increasing his contested numbers, which did improve in 2014

in regards to your B.ellis comment, he and the club have been saying they are working on him increasing his contested numbers, which did improve in 2014

It's not really his go though.. I'm happy if he just keeps running his guts out, and can occasionally run through the middle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not really his go though.. I'm happy if he just keeps running his guts out, and can occasionally run through the middle.
Yeah fair enough. Need all sorts of players. But if we don't get the increase in contested numbers from the cattle we have, then we have to look at alternative players.

By round 22...

FB: Nick Vlastuin - Alex Rance - Dylan Grimes

HB: Bachar Houli - David Astbury - Chris Yarran

C: Brandon Ellis - Trent Cotchin - Kamdyn McIntosh

HF: Brett Deledio - Tyrone Vickery - Ben Lennon

FF: Daniel Rioli - Jack Riewoldt - Shane Edwards

R: Ivan Maric - Dustin Martin - Anthony Miles

I: Jacob Townsend - Corey Ellis - Reece Conca - Connor Menadue

I'm not sure if anyone saw the footage the other day but in the centre clearance Townsend pushed miles off the ball to win the clearance with brute strength. I love miles but he made miles look like a junior player.

I'm not sure if anyone saw the footage the other day but in the centre clearance Townsend pushed miles off the ball to win the clearance with brute strength. I love miles but he made miles look like a junior player.

Where?

Pick ******* 70 for him. Looks to be another absolute steal recruit. Our list management is certainly up there with the best, recruiting Townsend and Moore for a bag of chips.

Pick ******* 70 for him. Looks to be another absolute steal recruit. Our list management is certainly up there with the best, recruiting Townsend and Moore for a bag of chips.

Love the enthusiasm but let's wait until they 1) get a game and 2) make a contribution.

Love the enthusiasm but let's wait until they 1) get a game and 2) make a contribution.
I may have gotten carried away yes, but I expect them to both play a handful of games this year, if not more. Much more effective than if we used our pick 70.

same old...same old for me...

Grimes...Rance...Batch...
Vlas...Chaplin..Houli
Bellis.....Cotch....McIntosh
Lids....Reiwoldt...Lambert
Edwards..TY...Yarran

Maric...Martin...Miles..
Conca...Grigg...Townsend...Moore..

Hope there is more rotation of players this year.
Hampson should fill in to give maric a spell everyone so often.
Same for vickery with mcbean & griffiths.
C.Ellis, Lennon and the other young kids needs same game time too, at least they should get a crack when playing the weaker teams.

I agree in principle with rotating players, but unless you are absolutely flying you rarely see it happen. The competition is just to even that it becomes a risk not to put your best 22 out there each week. First and second years players is a bit different because many of them can't run out the season.
Mcbean is an intestine one, there are times when I think he should be in ahead of Griff or Ty and get more opportunities but the coaching staff obviously think there's weeknesses in his game that would get shown up at senior level. When/if he gets his chance though you'd think it would be at the expense of Griff or Ty.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back