Votes: 29 28.4%
  • No - it doesn't work

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Keep it - but modify it

Votes: 68 66.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Now that I am sober.
Definitely keep it, I just can't help but feel a minor tweak will make superiorly more effective.
Like how we still use a hybrid version of the Forward press.

McGovern swinging forward and back next year is going to be amazing.
Precision kicking sliced us apart. Especially given space throughout the zone.

It's hard to blame it on the web when 80% of the problem yesterday was nerves/lack of gf experience and costly errors. The Hawks would beaten any team they played yesterday. Agree that the web was torn apart by the dockers,crows and north by not giving us s chance to setup. Also when we have players zoning off their man they get smashed when it's turned over-see Rioli yesterday. Maybe we will grow into it a bit more next year and make a few tweaks but it clearly works as we played in a gf with a very young list and a rookie coach.

This, I think they were caught napping.

Like the prelims of 2012, we'll be better for it and able to draw experience.

I think it works, but from a round-ball player's perspective, it needs to be modified for attacking and defensive football and changeable in different game scenarios.

Oh for * sake, the issue wasn't the game plan. Any game plan will fail when your midfield gets smashed at contested ball and turns the ball over in key areas. Any game plan. We couldn't get our hands on the ball, they could, and our pressure wasn't good enough, therefore they got good, clean ball into their forward line.

The issue was the midfield.

From Wellingham

"We've got belief that it holds up. But in saying that, it's not something that we trained for over the summer; it's not something that we came into the year trying to execute.

"It is something that grew through necessity.

A preseason of planning went out the door in Round 1. The adjustment took a few games to settle in and it worked brilliantly for much of the year but it came unstuck against a very well drilled side that has had years of development put into their game plan

This Simpson fella can coach a bit and our structures will only get better as he has more time to make them as instinctive as they are for the Hawks

It's been an effective strategy all year. No doubt it will be tweaked with Mackenzie and Brown becoming available.

Yesterday's capitulation was not the failure of the web but the failure of the entire team to apply pressure, force turnovers and 50/50s, and hold up play.

I thought our defenders did a pretty decent job yesterday - kept the Hawks inside 50 efficiency to 46% (27 shots from 59 entries) which was actually lower than ours (53%, 21 from 40).

Honestly think we just played one of our poorer game's this year.. Our game plan works when we are switched on but in this case the boys were nervous timid and flustered..Skills were non existent NO game plan could of worked yesterday...The boy's really did lower thier colours yesterday let's hope the pain of that drives them next year !!
We were right in it except for the missed shots on goal. Starting 3rd well but those couple of minutes hurt us when Shuey didnt give off the handball in F50 then Darls drops a sitter. Could have got to within 1-2 goals. Hawks punished us the heads hung a bit. Web is fine....

Modify the defensive structure to enable a transition to man-on-man when the opposition is moving dangerously through the zone...eg. opposition kicks into the web or around it, taking a mark and looking to move it on. This is where the deeper defenders need to man-up while the players closer to the opponent with the ball apply pressure to affect the quality of disposal.

So many times you can see a team looking threatening with the ball despite the web, and it is at that moment a modification should be made to make them second-guess the movement. North made it look easy early in the PF but ran out of puff, and yesterday with Hawthorn there were a dozen or more moments where you could see an inevitable score unfolding even when they were still in their defensive half of the ground.

I thought the wider 'G wouldn't compromise the web's efficacy (as the web is designed to defend the immediate field of play, not the whole ground), but Hawthorn stretched us laterally with absolute class. Clarkson basically opened up the web. Deserved his fourth premiership as he is clearly still the best coach in the business.

Not that I necessarily disagree with you but didn't actually think the hawks were even that great yesterday other than the fact that they kicked straight. Hawks held their nerves better is basically what it comes down to...

The web had nothing to do with our loss yesterday because we were never composed enough to let it settle. It only works where we can slow the transition of opponents, and this will never happen when we consistently turn the ball over and/or don't put sufficient pressure on the ball carrier.

Keep it, but tweak it. Needs to be able to be applied on wider grounds like the G.

Also needs to have a "defensive transition" when opposition players are looking to kick/ run through it. Hawks cut us up today by picking out the free man and running through the guys guarding space.

Keep and tweak, Figure out a plan B, C and D.
The Clarkson cluster was dead in 2011 but it cut Sydney to pieces in last year grandie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From Wellingham

A preseason of planning went out the door in Round 1. The adjustment took a few games to settle in and it worked brilliantly for much of the year but it came unstuck against a very well drilled side that has had years of development put into their game plan

This Simpson fella can coach a bit and our structures will only get better as he has more time to make them as instinctive as they are for the Hawks

Amazing we completely changed our gameplan and made it work during the season.

One game where it doesn't work and the first thought is to abandon it? Over-reaction much? I'm sure with different personal they make adjustments as necessary, but they shouldn't be abandoning it.

fwiw Hawks would have carved up any defensive strategy yesterday.

We were right in it except for the missed shots on goal. Starting 3rd well but those couple of minutes hurt us when Shuey didnt give off the handball in F50 then Darls drops a sitter. Could have got to within 1-2 goals. Hawks punished us the heads hung a bit. Web is fine....
We're you at the game mate ?

Absolutely baffled at the number of posts around bagging out the web last night and today. We got belted but it has very little to do with the web breaking down. It got beaten at times but Hawthorn are a reasonably handy side if you hadn't noticed.

We had a shitload of it but our skill execution just completely mullered our transition and a lot of scores were given up on the turnover. We were only 1 scoring shot adrift at half time. Hawthorn were very accurate and had a couple of insane goals that GF winning sides seem to conjure.

The web will be back with tweaks for personnel. Expect another huge preseason of skill work and GOAL KICKING practice.

Not that I necessarily disagree with you but didn't actually think the hawks were even that great yesterday other than the fact that they kicked straight. Hawks held their nerves better is basically what it comes down to...
Yeah but they were also first to the loose ball. Together with that phenomenon when watching on TV - "they seemed to have an extra couple of players on the field" - I just think they were much more efficient on the ball/midfield than we were and they also kicked straight. We turned it over too much, they punished us.

The web isn't the bit that failed. It was the lack of pressure on the kick taker that failed. If the kick taker is under pressure, the kick (more often than not) will miss the target and get mopped up by the web. When an accurate team like Hawks are allowed time to pick their shots and execute pin-point precision kicks, the web will be beaten all day.

Last edited:
WCE lost because they had too many passengers who didn't do the hard work that got them to the Grand Final .
Where was the pressure , tackling , team work that we had shown all year ? Hawthorn were ripe for us to pluck but we stuffed it up and left our game on the bus .

I was very happy with our year and losing on the great day will be a great learning lesson and disappointment filled with errors should burn in the players .

Tweaks required to allow for the width of the ground. Remember with the hawks outstanding ball use they are probably the only team that can really expose it . Still early in the 3rd quarter we were coming and I thought we could win, Shuey and darling cost us badly, we had massive momentum and our fitness could have carried us over the line. It is a shame for shuey because he had a great game and along with gaff, shep can say they did everything to win it

I'm not sure ...I sit right on the fence with the gameplan

Defensively blokes like Rioli and Gunston destroyed us ....that can't happen again

Mackenzie and brown will be huge for us in terms of lock down players ......means gov can play his role and play forward a bit too

web not as effective on bigger mcg, use it while we are still at subi but still need plan b for when we get games at the g and when we get our new stadium (which - correct me if i'm wrong - will be the same dimensions as the g?)

Back