Premier Lg EPL Matchday 21 - On Optus Sport

Premier League Football

Remove this Banner Ad

There's some controversy about Toney's free kick. You can see the white spray mark where the ref placed the ball. While the ref wasn't looking Toney twice moved the ball to the right, allowing him to bend it round the wall. The BBC report said he even moved some of the foam.

View attachment 1890084
I for one am absolutely shocked that Toney of all players would break the rules 😂

There's some controversy about Toney's free kick. You can see the white spray mark where the ref placed the ball. While the ref wasn't looking Toney twice moved the ball to the right, allowing him to bend it round the wall. The BBC report said he even moved some of the foam.

View attachment 1890084

Eh, tough tittles for Forest. The Forest players have a duty to themselves to speak up as soon as they saw it happening, which would have been before the free kick was taken. 😂

Eh, tough tittles for Forest. The Forest players have a duty to themselves to speak up as soon as they saw it happening, which would have been before the free kick was taken. 😂
Yeah moving the ball 3ft across isn't some crazy cheating thing. Who gives a * really lol

View attachment 1890084
pretty sure david luiz did similar at psg, might have even been against chelsea?

Yeah moving the ball 3ft across isn't some crazy cheating thing. Who gives a * really lol

Yeah the Forest players should have arced up. But I wonder if VAR should have brought it back. Generally, with free kicks around the field, it doesn't matter if they are taken from slightly the wrong position. But a free kick just outside the box with a wall is a special situation. When the ref sprays the foam it almost becomes like one the markings on the field. I reckon VAR would step in if a penalty or a corner was taken 3 ft from the correct position. It's a slightly grey area so it will be interesting to hear Howard Webb discuss it.

Yeah the Forest players should have arced up. But I wonder if VAR should have brought it back. Generally, with free kicks around the field, it doesn't matter if they are taken from slightly the wrong position. But a free kick just outside the box with a wall is a special situation. When the ref sprays the foam it almost becomes like one the markings on the field. I reckon VAR would step in if a penalty or a corner was taken 3 ft from the correct position. It's a slightly grey area so it will be interesting to hear Howard Webb discuss it.
I think that's insane. Who gives a s**t where he sprays it, the wall is set by the keeper based off the ball not where some white line sprayed

He moved the ball twice, one time being after the wall was set. Blatant cheating
Woopdy doo. Players spend 99% of the game falling over from a slight breeze and begging for yellow cards. They all spend every game trying to cheat

Yeah I'm sure you wouldn't hold that same energy when a player goes over and earns a free kick from no contact for Tottenham

It's such a non issue
The ref gives a foul for a dive, that happens. They run the risk of being caught like Bissouma and getting another card.

This was Toney moving the ball to get around the wall that had been set. Ref should have picked it up but didn't. VAR probably can't enforce it, but should. Goals get ruled off for offside by less than what he moved the ball by

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The ref gives a foul for a dive, that happens. They run the risk of being caught like Bissouma and getting another card.

This was Toney moving the ball to get around the wall that had been set. Ref should have picked it up but didn't. VAR probably can't enforce it, but should. Goals get ruled off for offside by less than what he moved the ball by
Same way toney risked having the ball moved back by the ref

You're picking an choosing, the forest team even told the goalie he was looking to go round the wall and they didn't do anything to fix it. You literally see the keeper ignore it

Same way toney risked having the ball moved back by the ref

You're picking an choosing, the forest team even told the goalie he was looking to go round the wall and they didn't do anything to fix it. You literally see the keeper ignore it
Something leading directly to a goal VAR is meant to intervene. He only got around the wall because he moved the ball away from where the ref lined it up, and they lined their wall up.

Ref allowed it to be taken and they wouldn't have a chance to reset the wall where he put the ball.

This is far worse than players creeping yards for a throw in, although its another peeve of mine. As this means he goes around the wall using his cheating as the way around it. It's like a dive for penalty, blatant cheating but if VAR saw a dive this obvious the penalty would get overturned if the on field ref was duped.

No doubt the fact it was Toney and the way he and Frank have handled themselves upon his return, plus the absolute goo fest all the pundits and commentators were having about him being back, make it more annoying. If it was Mbuemo or Wood I'd still have thought it was dirty, but this guys just a flat out campaigner

Something leading directly to a goal VAR is meant to intervene. He only got around the wall because he moved the ball away from where the ref lined it up, and they lined their wall up.

Ref allowed it to be taken and they wouldn't have a chance to reset the wall where he put the ball.

This is far worse than players creeping yards for a throw in, although its another peeve of mine. As this means he goes around the wall using his cheating as the way around it. It's like a dive for penalty, blatant cheating but if VAR saw a dive this obvious the penalty would get overturned if the on field ref was duped.

No doubt the fact it was Toney and the way he and Frank have handled themselves upon his return, plus the absolute goo fest all the pundits and commentators were having about him being back, make it more annoying. If it was Mbuemo or Wood I'd still have thought it was dirty, but this guys just a flat out campaigner
That's just wrong, he moved the ball 1 meter to the right, there's absolutely nothing stopping you from moving the wall left or right.

That's just wrong, he moved the ball 1 meter to the right, there's absolutely nothing stopping you from moving the wall left or right.
Once the ref says he can take it, if the keeper and wall aren't ready he can take it while they're resetting can't he?

If anything Toney has taught us, is that it’s not a problem when deliberately cheating the rules, it’s only a problem when you get caught.

Good on him.

Every player in the league appeals for throw ins and corners when they know they touched it last, that’s blatant cheating as well. Do we do something about that?

Players will look for any advantage, well played Toney for getting away with it.

I wouldn't call it cheating. Every player and manager is looking for a way to bend or break the rules to their advantage,

It's up to the officials to apply the laws of the game consistently and fairly. The law says "All free kicks are taken from the place where the offence occurred". So once the ref has positioned the free kick with the spray then that's where the free kick should be taken from.

I think VAR can intervene.

The referee may be assisted by a video assistant referee (VAR) only in the event of a 'clear and obvious error' or 'serious missed incident' in relation to: goal/no goal.​

It could be a serious missed incident like if a penalty or corner was taken 1m away from a metre where it was supposed to be.

People have been moving the ball the second the refs back is turned for decades now.

You'd think they (or their linos) would be wise to it by now.

VAR should certainly see it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back