Society/Culture Feminism part 1 - continued in part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, how is it hysterical to discuss the distinct possibility of an artist being banned from entering the country? I've actually been listening to Earl Sweatshirt a lot lately, who is part of the same crew and would be on the same stage, so this isn't some nobody I've never heard of. If my current circumstances were different, I might have been planning to go to that show. And feminists would have been trying to stop me.
No, its not that rather amorphous tag' feminists' why don't you be specific. Its Collective Shout-one organization.
It is hysterical, to talk, as you are, of many artists being banned when all that is under any scrutiny at the moment is one artist who pushes things a fair way past decent.
Earl Sweatshirt is, unlike Tyler, talented and creative.

No, its not that rather amorphous tag' feminists' why don't you be specific. Its Collective Shout-one organization.
It is hysterical, to talk, as you are, of many artists being banned when all that is under any scrutiny at the moment is one artist who pushes things a fair way past decent.
Earl Sweatshirt is, unlike Tyler, talented and creative.

Okay, replace "feminists" with "a feminist organization backed by feminist writers in the media".

I just don't get the mentality of these people/groups that "I don't like something and/or find it offensive, therefore it should be banned from being performed to people who do like it." It seems so simple, but why not just avoid the show if you find it offensive?

Don't get me wrong - the lyrics shown in that Guardian article are certainly offensive (and terribly written - at least someone like Eminem is generally clever with his rhymes/wordplay when being deliberately offensive), but banning him based on something as subjective as offensiveness? That just doesn't sit right with me, and reminds me of that Stephen Fry quote - (paraphrasing) "you're offended? So ******* what?"

His comments during his show about the woman who tried to have him banned aren't that shocking considering the situation. All types of artists say nasty things during shows about their perceived enemies, whether it be someone with an anti-mainstream image trying to be cool, talking about the violent acts they'd commit against Justin Bieber or a folk singer ranting about Tony Abbott . And their fans at the show will cheer and clap for all the horrible things they say, because that person is their enemy, too.

This woman was actually in attendance at the concert, checking to see whether she would be as offended as she thought she would be when she started the petition to have him denied entry to Australia and the chance to earn his living. It's ridiculous.

What did he say this week that was offensive? He tweeted that his visa had been blocked, which is not true yet, but there are definitely people working to make that happen. He didn't incite anyone to violence against the person responsible and no such acts have been committed. Naturally, there are a lot of pissed off people though. They're not all woman-haters (some are even women!) and it's unlikely anyone will take anything further than an angry tweet.

Whatever you think of Tyler's lyrics or his artistic merits, his songs are insignificant in the scheme of things. It's another example of how pathetic some factions of modern feminism are that they would pick out an obscure rapper to make a fuss about, injecting themselves into the story with overblown claims about death and rape threats.
We are miles apart in our thinking what is appropriate and not encouraging the nutters out there.

We are miles apart in our thinking what is appropriate and not encouraging the nutters out there.

Or maybe we're just far apart on how many nutters we think there are. How many incidents have there been in this country where a crazed fan has committed a murder or a rape? Are we really at the point where we need to deny people entry to the country because there's such a risk of this happening?

And I think we're also far apart on how to handle things we find inappropriate or offensive. My approach is don't listen to it if I don't have to, not to stop people who are not so offended from listening.

Or maybe we're just far apart on how many nutters we think there are. How many incidents have there been in this country where a crazed fan has committed a murder or a rape? Are we really at the point where we need to deny people entry to the country because there's such a risk of this happening?

And I think we're also far apart on how to handle things we find inappropriate or offensive. My approach is don't listen to it if I don't have to, not to stop people who are not so offended from listening.
Okay, we can just wait until it happens then do something about it.
As I said we are poles apart from what I think is appropriate and it differs to you so let us just leave it at that.

Has this guy been banned?

Has this guy been banned?

Not yet.

“The Department can confirm that Mr Okonma has a current visa application with the Department, and that no decision has yet been made,” they said.

“The Australian Government supports freedom of speech.

“However, the exercise of this freedom involves a responsibility to avoid vilification of, inciting discord in, or representing a danger to, the Australian community.”

The entirety of Odd Future was blocked last year from entering New Zealand. Funny thing was that they were supposed to open for Eminem. White guy idolized by millions whose every verse receives massive worldwide exposure is okay. Group of black dudes hardly anyone outside of hiphop circles has even heard of, they're terrorist threats. The feminists running this several years long campaign to protect us from Tyler don't appear to have ever raised an objection to Eminem coming here.

And apparently, this bit of exposure has the donations flooding in for Collective Shout. You keep fighting those important battles, ladies.

Not yet.

The entirety of Odd Future was blocked last year from entering New Zealand. Funny thing was that they were supposed to open for Eminem. White guy idolized by millions whose every verse receives massive worldwide exposure is okay. Group of black dudes hardly anyone outside of hiphop circles has even heard of, they're terrorist threats. The feminists running this several years long campaign to protect us from Tyler don't appear to have ever raised an objection to Eminem coming here.

And apparently, this bit of exposure has the donations flooding in for Collective Shout. You keep fighting those important battles, ladies.

Right. I'll discuss it, when there is something to discuss.

Other than that - Eminem is a moron.

I just don't get the mentality of these people/groups that "I don't like something and/or find it offensive, therefore it should be banned from being performed to people who do like it." It seems so simple, but why not just avoid the show if you find it offensive?

Don't get me wrong - the lyrics shown in that Guardian article are certainly offensive (and terribly written - at least someone like Eminem is generally clever with his rhymes/wordplay when being deliberately offensive), but banning him based on something as subjective as offensiveness? That just doesn't sit right with me, and reminds me of that Stephen Fry quote - (paraphrasing) "you're offended? So ******* what?"
Yep agree with this to a degree, but suppose I see freedom of speech/choice as a bit different to somebody who perpetuates violent, unhealthy stuff. Yep, you can just look the other way, but not everyone can or does and then they are exposed to very questionable stuff. Freedom of speech simply doesn't exist in the real world in anycase and it is limited for sensible reasons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep agree with this to a degree, but suppose I see freedom of speech/choice as a bit different to somebody who perpetuates violent, unhealthy stuff. Yep, you can just look the other way, but not everyone can or does and then they are exposed to very questionable stuff. Freedom of speech simply doesn't exist in the real world in anycase and it is limited for sensible reasons.

His whole body of work is being reduced to a few lines. You can make a better case for banning religious texts IMO. Those preach misogyny as the word of the supposed actual creator, not just a rapper who uses Creator as a stage name. It's just such an irrelevant battle to draw money and attention to in the grand scheme of things, but if they succeed it sets a terrible precedent.

His whole body of work is being reduced to a few lines. You can make a better case for banning religious texts IMO. Those preach misogyny as the word of the supposed actual creator, not just a rapper who uses Creator as a stage name. It's just such an irrelevant battle to draw money and attention to in the grand scheme of things, but if they succeed it sets a terrible precedent.
Yep, possibly.

???

How is it not a small step from banning one rapper that I think is okay to banning another rapper that I really like?
They let Snoop Lion in to tour
Drug and weapon convictions and all
Louis Farrakhan was allowed in with his racist hate speech
Meh let them all in as long as they have a return ticket to wherever

Haha couldn't help noticing this quote on the Adam Goodes thread.

'What if an indigenous person celebrates Australia Day for the great country we live in?
You can't assign a single collective opinion to a diverse group of people'

Will most surely be applying that logic to feminists.Thanks to Kfc for finally helping me see the light-halleleuah;)

Last edited:
You can't assign a single collective opinion to a diverse group of people'

Am applying that logic to feminists.Thanks to Kfc for finally helping me see the light-halleleuah;)

Wrt feminists, such has previously been discussed and debunked. Ignorance and cherry picking is your thing, though.

Wrt feminists, such has previously been discussed and debunked. Ignorance and cherry picking is your thing, though.
Perfect Tesso-you too can apply such logic to your discussions re fems-cheers to your old mate Chippy, setting us all straight. Can't wait to see you apply it either you old rapscallion.
ps If you have a spare mo, you might consider going and cherry picking the Victorian Royal Comm into Fam violence?

Perfect Tesso-you too can apply such logic to your discussions re fems

Logic is something fembots don't do, so someone needs to do it for them. Hence this thread.

ps If you have a spare mo, you might consider going and cherry picking the Victorian Royal Comm into Fam violence?

Nah, cherry picking is your thing. Don't project onto me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back