Society/Culture Feminism part 1 - continued in part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

It is pretty easy to choose to be a stay at home dad when you get a nice politicians pension in your account every fortnight but he does make a few reasonable points
Yes. I did note also that he isn't studying medicine full time as well.

What would his pension be? 100-150k? Would be a pretty easy gig. Plus I am pretty sure he isnt looking after babies, but older children who are at school most of the day and gets to spend his days gardening and cooking. Christ I am glad he never became PM.

His basic point is still valid though. That woman's comment about needing anti-depressants to cope was pretty pathetic and we do often see motherhood demonized by women who prefer to pursue a career. As a single dad, I got to experience a lot of the aspects of parenthood that other dads might miss out on. It would have been even more enjoyable/easier if I had a spouse going to work and earning money (and then being able to give a helping hand with things when they got home).

For the record, once my kids were at school, I was also studying and working. Maybe not as demanding as medicine, but still a full plate. I assume this woman makes use of day care or nannies or other things that she would have been able to afford that I couldn't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His basic point is still valid though. That woman's comment about needing anti-depressants to cope was pretty pathetic and we do often see motherhood demonized by women who prefer to pursue a career. As a single dad, I got to experience a lot of the aspects of parenthood that other dads might miss out on. It would have been even more enjoyable/easier if I had a spouse going to work and earning money (and then being able to give a helping hand with things when they got home).

For the record, once my kids were at school, I was also studying and working. Maybe not as demanding as medicine, but still a full plate. I assume this woman makes use of day care or nannies or other things that she would have been able to afford that I couldn't.
Were her comments self deprecating or serious?

I haven't seen her article. Is she one of the many women in this country who is taking medication to deal with post natal, or indeed any form of, depression?

It is a pretty cheap shot for someone in Latham's position to make.

Were her comments self deprecating or serious?

I haven't seen her article. Is she one of the many women in this country who is taking medication to deal with post natal, or indeed any form of, depression?

It is a pretty cheap shot for someone in Latham's position to make.

I don't know if she was serious, but if it was a joke, isn't that worse?

Agree it's a cheap shot to single her out like that though.

Yeah, seems like he's reading way too much into that.

He has a decent point buried somewhere in that piece, but he shouldn't be singling her out for anything in her article. The decent point, i think, is that being a parent is very rewarding and being a stay at home parent is preferable to having to go out and work for a lot of people. I can't really understand how anyone that loves kids and enjoys being a parent would prefer to go out and work. The parent that has to do that has drawn the short stick IMO and families where both parents do it probably shouldn't have had kids in the first place.

He has a decent point buried somewhere in that piece, but he shouldn't be singling her out for anything in her article. The decent point, i think, is that being a parent is very rewarding and being a stay at home parent is preferable to having to go out and work for a lot of people. I can't really understand how anyone that loves kids and enjoys being a parent would prefer to go out and work. The parent that has to do that has drawn the short stick IMO and families where both parents do it probably shouldn't have had kids in the first place.
+1
I guess he had to find something to write a paid piece for the AFR about to supplement his meagre parliamentary pension :rolleyes:

Yep. He's added his own spin into what she actually said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back