Injury Fev & Brown Out

Remove this Banner Ad

Can this season slide any further ? Maybe it's the high level of rotations are condemning the larger players to injury - Riewolt etc.

BTW it is AMAZING that just by using those three innocent letters - FEV - you attract a crowd of clearly lost / confused / heart broken supporters from Lygon St. We got over AKA ...

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...er-gabba-surface/story-e6frepex-1225868383663

Does anyone else think it is embarrassing that the Club continues to deny that Brown is injured?

Watching him closely against Geelong, it is clear he has a similar ailment to what he has had a couple of times before. He can now only run in a straight line, once the ball deviates from that he is stuffed. His kicking is also being affected because he is trying not to kick too far through the ball as it is obviously is hurting him.

Hearing Voss and Brown continually deny there is a problem is ridiculous. Everyone knows he is injured - why can't we just come out and say that Browny is injured but he is going to play on. I mean what is the big deal about admitting something that everyone already knows - it is getting kind of farcical.

Does anyone else think it is embarrassing that the Club continues to deny that Brown is injured?

*shrug*

In that article Vossy only supposedly denied it was OP and from what I've read about OP it doesn't sound like they've got it.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...er-gabba-surface/story-e6frepex-1225868383663

Watching him closely against Geelong, it is clear he has a similar ailment to what he has had a couple of times before. He can now only run in a straight line, once the ball deviates from that he is stuffed. His kicking is also being affected because he is trying not to kick too far through the ball as it is obviously is hurting him.

Hearing Voss and Brown continually deny there is a problem is ridiculous. Everyone knows he is injured - why can't we just come out and say that Browny is injured but he is going to play on. I mean what is the big deal about admitting something that everyone already knows - it is getting kind of farcical.

..Agree

Playing with a groin injury is probably the hardest ailment to play with, screws with your running, kicking, jumping and turning. Groin injuries linger unless they are given total rest, you come back too early from a groin and there goes 6-8 weeks of your season.

Our complete reliance on Brown is going to shorten his career greatly.

Our 2 key forward structure doesn't stack up consistently enough in this modern game.

Vossy needs to restructure the forward line with less emphasis on Brown and Fevola.

Playing with a groin injury is probably the hardest ailment to play with, screws with your running, kicking, jumping and turning. Groin injuries linger unless they are given total rest, you come back too early from a groin and there goes 6-8 weeks of your season.

Our 2 key forward structure doesn't stack up consistently enough in this modern game.

Vossy needs to restructure the forward line with less emphasis on Brown and Fevola.

100% spot on :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

It's quite ironic because that is what Carlton has done be getting rid of Felvola and it has worked, now Brisbane have him they have the same problem.

Interesting, Brown is either horribly injured, or horribly inconsistent where by the gap between his best and worst is as big as the Nile. I'm definitely thinking he is horribly injured and your club is looking silly and making Brown look silly for suggesting that there is nothing wrong with him.

Fev on the other hand, looks underdone, and really doesn't look comfortable at all. Not sure if its a case of injury, or just that the off field issues are now taking its toll. Its a shame really as when in full flight he is one of the most watchable players in the comp. Still love Fev, and would love him to be back to his best, but really happy with how we are traveling without him TBH.

Hope all goes well in Adelaide :thumbsu:

When was the last time Brisbane played a game without a power forward? Did Brown miss any games in 2007?

Fev on the other hand, looks underdone, and really doesn't look comfortable at all. Not sure if its a case of injury, or just that the off field issues are now taking its toll.

Not sure where I heard it but someone on TV said he is still having issues with his heel. Not the one he injured playing for us, but the oppositie foot this time and hasn't been training.

Its a shame really as when in full flight he is one of the most watchable players in the comp. Still love Fev, and would love him to be back to his best, but really happy with how we are traveling without him TBH.

Hope all goes well in Adelaide :thumbsu:

Yeah totally agreed, was going to go to the game at AMMI this weekend to watch fev, but won't bother if he is injured.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure where I heard it but someone on TV said he is still having issues with his heel. Not the one he injured playing for us, but the oppositie foot this time and hasn't been training.

The TV news [Ch10?] clip of him outside the medical centre in Adelaide last night showed he had a pronounced limp.

Im in eastern europe, unable to get to a tv to watch a game since the melbourne game but my friends have all emailed me to tell me the lions are gone, vossy has had it and we will finish bottom 4..

Now while i know most of the above is just my mates getting stuck into me... If Browny and Fev are both out then we are obviously in big trouble.

Im not back until October... This could have been the best year to miss completely by the looks

Must win this weekend.

there is no doubt Brown is impaired by injury.In the game against Freo he kicked a goal and just the action of kicking a set shot caused him to grimace and hobble away

whether it can be managed,or will it progressively get worse is anyones guess.If you drop the next few games maybe Voss will bite the bullet and give him a extended break.The guy is a deadset warrior.Might be too tough for his own good though

no-one has really said he is 100% and everyone seems to maintain he is sore. A sore browny that can't turn still takes a good defender and probably provides more than a healthy acorn to date

Im fed up with Brisbane playing injured players. If Browny and/or Fev are injured, then don't play them, simple as that. I would rather not win a game for the next 10 weeks and see our injured players rested back to full health, rather than pinch a win or two but still have the same players with the same damn injuries hobbling around in obvious pain. If Acorn can't get a game even when the other key forwards are injured then why is he on our list?

For mine I want Fev and Brown both rested and given time away to fully heal before they run out again. Acorn to full forward and Mitch to centre half forward. If that doesn't work or they aren't fit, try other options but for god's sake, please stop playing our boys injured. It's insanely frustrating.

I cant stand turning against the team I have grown up barracking for. But has Fevola taken more than one mark in the past month? I recall a cheeky one against Sydney but thats about it. Put him in the Socceroos squad if he just wants to kick it along the ground.

In all seriousness though, OF COURSE, he is injured. Let the big fella have a game off to get it all back in one piece. As Yippyio alluded to above me, I would rather us be 4 and 6 and have a fully fit squad win in round 11, than be 6 and 4 and have our whole forward and back line in the emergency ward for the rest of the season and not win another game until 2011.

Im fed up with Brisbane playing injured players. If Browny and/or Fev are injured, then don't play them, simple as that. I would rather not win a game for the next 10 weeks and see our injured players rested back to full health, rather than pinch a win or two but still have the same players with the same damn injuries hobbling around in obvious pain. If Acorn can't get a game even when the other key forwards are injured then why is he on our list?

For mine I want Fev and Brown both rested and given time away to fully heal before they run out again. Acorn to full forward and Mitch to centre half forward. If that doesn't work or they aren't fit, try other options but for god's sake, please stop playing our boys injured. It's insanely frustrating.

So if a groin injury takes up to three months of rest to fully heal but they can continue to play if it's managed, similar to OP... you'd rather throw away a whole season than play our stars? Sorry, I can't get behind that. :rolleyes:

I'm not a doctor so I don't know if that is the case, but I'm betting none of the must-rest-them brigade is either. It's just a knee jerk reaction to seeing one of our stars in pain, which is reasonable, but the way it's been adopted as a "fact" that its an option is a bit of a joke.

If the medical professionals we hire say that the guys are fine to go even if not 100%, or that whatever's wrong with them is going to get better on its own if managed (ala Fev's heel, as he mentioned in an interview), that's good enough for me because they actually know what the hell they're talking about. They're not just planning symptoms, diagnoses and treatments based off media reports and couch potato analysis.

Frankly dont give a damn if the medical professionals say they are ok to go out, obviously Brown and Fev are being limited by their injuries to the point where there output is extremely minimal (Fev more so), and unlike OP obviously this cant be managed.

Pretty tired of the constant denials by the club re their injuries also

If the medical professionals we hire say that the guys are fine to go even if not 100%, or that whatever's wrong with them is going to get better on its own if managed (ala Fev's heel, as he mentioned in an interview), that's good enough for me because they actually know what the hell they're talking about. They're not just planning symptoms, diagnoses and treatments based off media reports and couch potato analysis.

I totally agree with this, dlanod. I think that, physios and similar quacks aside, none of us are really that qualified to make an informed judgment on this stuff. Hindsight does allow us to query decisions but that doesn't necessarily mean that the original decision is flawed.

Doctors, physios etc who are employed by the club are in a somewhat awkward position. On one hand, they understand that players, coaches, fans and the club generally want the best players out there, even if said players aren't always 100% fit. On the other hand, they have a professional duty to ensure the best care for the patient in the circumstances. However, if I go to a doctor, and he tells me not to run for 2 weeks, and I run, then he's not responsible for my decision. The doctor has discharged his duty of care by providing me with appropriate medical advice. On the other hand, if the doctor informs the club that a player is not fit to play, then the club, as an employer, has a duty of care to take that into account. The club doesn't have to follow the medical advice but it certainly needs to take into account and make appropriate arrangements for the safety of the player - whether ruling him out, putting him on restricted duties etc.

Doctors, physios etc who are employed by the club are in a somewhat awkward position. On one hand, they understand that players, coaches, fans and the club generally want the best players out there, even if said players aren't always 100% fit. On the other hand, they have a professional duty to ensure the best care for the patient in the circumstances. However, if I go to a doctor, and he tells me not to run for 2 weeks, and I run, then he's not responsible for my decision. The doctor has discharged his duty of care by providing me with appropriate medical advice. On the other hand, if the doctor informs the club that a player is not fit to play, then the club, as an employer, has a duty of care to take that into account. The club doesn't have to follow the medical advice but it certainly needs to take into account and make appropriate arrangements for the safety of the player - whether ruling him out, putting him on restricted duties etc.

It is an interesting conundrum, where both are on the payroll of the same employer.

I suspect it's a spectrum. If a doctor says a player is not fit to play I find it hard to believe the club can or would overrule that, if for no other reason that if the player goes out and aggravates the injury that would be a very serious breach of the duty of care of the employer (club). They'd be opening themselves up to being sued by the employee, similar to the discussions about the Gabba contributing to injuries.

However if a doctor says an injury or condition is in a grey area, and most cases would probably fit in here, this is where the club's (and hopefully the player's) discretion would play a part. They have to weigh up the player's importance to the team, the player's well-being, how the condition will progress with and without playing, etc etc etc.

So in this case Brown and Fev presumably have a doctor's sign off saying they are able to play. They may also have information stating that if they continue to play they will play at 60% and get better in 12 weeks, but if they rest they'll get better in 8 weeks. In that case the club can understandably decide that 60% of Brown for 12 weeks trumps 0% of Brown for 8 weeks and 100% for 4 weeks.

It's not as clear cut as "rest them and it'll all be better". Trying to pretend it is is either self-delusional at best or disingenious at worst.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back