Saturday 28 May, 2.05pm

Williamstown Oval

B: Zaine Cordy, Josh Schache, Bailey Van De Heuvel

HB: Hayden Crozier, Jason Johannisen, Luke Cleary

C: Arthur Jones, Lachie Sullivan, Louis Butler

HF: Dominic Bedendo, Josh Kellett, Cody Raak

F: Mitch Wallis, Jamarra Ugle-Hagen, Sam Darcy

R: Will Lewis, Roarke Smith, Charlie Parker

INT: Ewan Macpherson, Joel Garner, Cooper Craig-Peters, Dan Orgill, Hugo Bromell (23rd player)

EMG: Nathan Drummond, Jarrod Gilbee, Nayef Hamad, Ethan Hunt, Austin Hodge, Angus Bade

That's a much stronger looking side now.

14 senior listed players ... although 2-3 of those will be scratchings as they'll be over in Perth.
Midfield still pretty weak, but the two ends of the ground are looking far better than we've seen recently. Wouldn't be surprised if Roarke is sub again just to make our midfield even worse

Midfield still pretty weak, but the two ends of the ground are looking far better than we've seen recently. Wouldn't be surprised if Roarke is sub again just to make our midfield even worse
Roarke isn’t one of the emergencies so it’s unlikely.

We might see Darcy play more forward with Cordy going into defence?

It'll be good to see whether Arty Jones can build on last week's solid game.

Early signs are that Milesi's draft last year was a good one.

Team looks a fair bit stronger now. Hopefully when JJ is fit and firing he can push McComb back to Footscray where he'll be more effective as an onballer.

Has anyone else been impressed with Joel Garner, seems to have a touch of class about him?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The extra 5cms can’t have helped Darcy’s agility. I like playing him there a bit to develop him but it is looking much more likely as a forward/ruck.

Wouldn’t write him off after to VFL games though.

Also - a couple of years ago teams would regularly have a resting ruck forward - this still happens with team like StKilda and so being able to drop back is a good skills and will harden him up.

Ultimately if I were Schache it would be hard to work out whether I try for the open role now (forward/ruck) or go the hard road (which I thought he was doing) and using the next couple of years to develop as a CHB and ultimately be ready when Keath runs out of steam - timing is perfect - he was showing signs and if he sticks at it he will get more muscle and build more confidence.

I would do the latter. Naughty, JUH and Darcy with Bont play 50% as tools would be envy of the league up forward. Down back we will have Gardner and maybe Cordy - both Keath and TOB will retire in a couple and so real opportunity down back.

Agreed, really can’t think of any slow modern day gun defenders. He has the perfect skillset to be a gun forward/ruck so hopefully that’s where develops.

Roughead maybe? McGovern also looks pretty slow. Agreed though, I think long term he projects more as a forward/ruck.

In any case, I don't think it's a bad thing starting him off down back. There's plenty of examples of players playing down back in the first year and then switching up forward. A good example would be Jarryd Roughead. High draft pick that spent the majority of his time down back to start off with and he has mentioned that it was a very good thing for his development.

Roughead maybe? McGovern also looks pretty slow. Agreed though, I think long term he projects more as a forward/ruck.

In any case, I don't think it's a bad thing starting him off down back. There's plenty of examples of players playing down back in the first year and then switching up forward. A good example would be Jarryd Roughead. High draft pick that spent the majority of his time down back to start off with and he has mentioned that it was a very good thing for his development.
McGovern and Collins are both really slow, but masters of bodywork which makes up for it

Yeah thought of Roughy, Not exactly top line though. Collins & McGovern good examples.

Completely agree that I don’t mind him playing back at the moment, just get him in the game - we’ve seen how unbeneficial it is for JUH to waste away at FF in the 2s

There's a little movement in the trees thanks to the breeze, doesn't look like it's blowing a gale like it has in the past.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back