Footy confessions

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong lost by 5 goals, not 5 points. They conceded 18 goals, 7 behinds. How many teams have won Grand Finals after conceding 18 goals? Hawthorn took their chances. That was the difference. Scoreboard pressure. We had Williams, Dew, Cyril, Brown, Young, Mitchell, Hodge and Buddy nailing goals from everywhere.

edit: 3 premiership teams in 119 years have conceded 16 goals or more on Grand Final day

1972 Carlton 28.9 def Richmond 22.18
1977 North Melb 21.25 def Collingwood 19.11
1989 Hawthorn 21.18 def Geelong 21.12

Since 1989, no premiership team has conceded more than 13 goals.

You forgot to mention the 11 rushed behinds, most of which were very blatantly deliberate, and led to a very rapid response by the AFL to change the rule.
IMO wouldve been a very different result if Clarko didnt use that tactic.

You forgot to mention the 11 rushed behinds, most of which were very blatantly deliberate, and led to a very rapid response by the AFL to change the rule.
No they weren't, only 2 at most would of resulted in a free with the current ruling.

The rule was change due to the Richmond player rushing the behind straight from the kick in not Hawthorn.

Geelong lost by 5 goals, not 5 points. They conceded 18 goals, 7 behinds. How many teams have won Grand Finals after conceding 18 goals? Hawthorn took their chances. That was the difference. Scoreboard pressure. We had Williams, Dew, Cyril, Brown, Young, Mitchell, Hodge and Buddy nailing goals from everywhere.

edit: 3 premiership teams in 119 years have conceded 16 goals or more on Grand Final day

1972 Carlton 28.9 def Richmond 22.18
1977 North Melb 21.25 def Collingwood 19.11
1989 Hawthorn 21.18 def Geelong 21.12

Since 1989, no premiership team has conceded more than 13 goals.

i'm not gonna bother going back through the stats of history but if you can find another team that had 9 more scoring shots and lost the GF i'll be more inclined concede your point. because had geelong kicked even at 50% they would have surpassed the magic 16 goal mark.

the only time when a significantly better team loses in a GF is because they don't kick straight. north in 98, hawks in 2012 come to mind.

No they weren't, only 2 at most would of resulted in a free with the current ruling.

The rule was change due to the Richmond player rushing the behind straight from the kick in not Hawthorn.

Yeah... Nah.
Im on my phone right now, so can't post the video - but there were a lot more than 2 that were blatant.

Yeah, exactly. Those weren't goal scoring opportunities however. That was Hawthorn defenders taking the piss - they were using rules & tactics of the day to their advantage. Subtract 11 rushed behinds and you have a scoreline of 18.7 to 11.11. Let's say Geelong scored 3 goals from Hawk defenders turning it over on those 11 rushed behinds. Ignoring chaos theory & cause/effect, the score would still be 18.7 to 14.11. The game wasn't really that close. Hawthorn had a match-winning lead at 3/4 time and they held Geelong at bay with ease. It was a warm day and the Cats had nothing in the tank.

My point is, St Kilda were a stronger team in 2009 than Hawthorn was in 2008 (going by H&A results) and yet they couldn't get the job done. I blame the weather (in addition to Geelong's superiority over St Kilda when it really counted.) More to the point, I blame St Kilda's fixture where they played 15 games under a roof with Milney dobbing goals from all angles, but then it rained on Grand Final day and they faced the AFL's best wet weather team. Their two best players suffered heavy knocks, their small forwards couldn't kick straight and they left the door ajar for Geelong to snatch it.

I don't have much time for beaten Grand Finalists who complain about facing "tough competition". The whole purpose of playing the finals series is to weed out the pretenders and find out who the best team is. If your team doesn't pass the test, then tough s**t, you don't get the prize. The comparison of past premiers to current day premiers is just meaningless...

Last edited:
Off-season yaaaaaay

Time to make your confessions:

- Players / clubs you should hate, but actually like or admire

- Your own players you should love, but don’t really rate.

And no, I don’t mean like “I admire Fyfe” etc, the obvious ones. If you’re gonna confess, it has to be something you feel a little bit wrong about.

I’ll start: in what appears to be stark contrast to most non-North supporters, I love Brent Harvey. Love watching him play, always have. Think he’s an absolute marvel and a freak. His speed at his age is ridiculous and at full flight he’s a joy to behold as he burns away guys nearly half his age.

Over to you BF

I dislike these players quite strongly

Patrick Dangerfield
Dan Hannebury
Luke Hodge
Joe Selwood
Joe Daniher
Andrew Mackie
Troy Chaplin

Not sure if this is considered "normal".

i'm not gonna bother going back through the stats of history but if you can find another team that had 9 more scoring shots and lost the GF i'll be more inclined concede your point. because had geelong kicked even at 50% they would have surpassed the magic 16 goal mark.

the only time when a significantly better team loses in a GF is because they don't kick straight. north in 98, hawks in 2012 come to mind.
As said in previous post, those weren't scoring shots. They weren't even 50/50 opportunities

Hawk defenders were taking the ball across the line with impunity

Geelong had 22 scoring shots to Hawthorn's 25

Geelong missed a few goals in the 2nd quarter (and early in the 3rd quarter) but of those, only 50% of them were simple chances.
Mackie, Stokes and others missed shots from the boundary line or 50m out. They were't easy kicks to make.

People went on and on about how Geelong "lost it" because the upset result defied the expert narrative. Easy to explain it away as Geelong kicking 23 behinds. Myth. Really, people would've been better off trying to ascertain why Hawthorn won it. The simple truth s they were dead-eye dicks. Watch the highlights and check out the goals they kicked. They couldn't miss. It was unbelievable… Great day!

I know it's footy and we should be analyzing footy/tactics/etc etc but I always notice players aesthetics and their haircuts

I always notice when they get new hair cuts or when they should, or when they do a little tint in them

I can't stand how clean shaven Priddis is!! and I know he got his blonde tints done for the brownlow

Zac Dawsons haircut makes him look like Kramer and he needs to get a looser fitting Guernsey.

Some of the Gold Coast boys have terrible hair cuts, especially the one with the long blonde hair... filthy!! get a haircut ffs you've got the money!!

the sexual objectification of nat fyfe by 45 year old women over social media is disgusting and makes me vomit a little in my mouth! that said Fyfe and Schoey are such specimens (no homosexual connotations intended). I love Schoeys haircut when it's done nicely. Fyfe's hair suits him and he doesn't need to get a hair cut.

Rance has a great haircut

dusty's haircut suits him and makes him look like a bad boy and he should be a model for bad boy clothing, mum reckons its horrible and that Dangerfield is a cutie.

Everytime Dangerfield gets the ball she says oh Dangerfield what a cutie

but when dusty gets it she will say oh that dustin needs to get a new haircut and those tattoos are horrible, she also said swannie has no more room

am I the only one that notices haircuts?

As said in previous post, those weren't scoring shots. They weren't even 50/50 opportunities

Hawk defenders were taking the ball across the line with impunity

Geelong had 22 scoring shots to Hawthorn's 25

Geelong missed a few goals in the 2nd quarter (and early in the 3rd quarter) but of those, only 50% of them were simple chances.
Mackie, Stokes and others missed shots from the boundary line or 50m out. They were't easy kicks to make.

People went on and on about how Geelong "lost it" because the upset result defied the expert narrative. Easy to explain it away as Geelong kicking 23 behinds. Myth. Really, people would've been better off trying to ascertain why Hawthorn won it. The simple truth s they were dead-eye dicks. Watch the highlights and check out the goals they kicked. They couldn't miss. It was unbelievable… Great day!

be that as it may, when do we ever duduct rushed behinds from scoring shots to judge how a team plays? they're always included because even if they're not direct shots it still shows that the ball is in their forward half and the defense is under pressure. i'm not gonna say that hawthorn didn't deserve it. they were better on the day. but if geelong 08 played hawthorn 08 100 times geelong would in 90. geelong 08 was an insanely good team (in fact the best 1 season team i've ever seen).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I completely agree. I find his celebrity persona incredibly embarrassing. I hate listening to him speak and think he is an incredibly overrated player and did not deserve the BnF. I hate that he robbed Rough of a BnF in 2013.

I also hate his fashion crap and I don't find him even remotely attractive

There's something about him.

I thought after this long I would be over the trade. But seeing him play in the grand final every year and hearing everyone in the media call him 'Gibbo' just makes me sick. My housemate recorded a video of me (without me realising) watching the 2013 GF just ******* teeing off about him. He's just some guy that played for North for a few years but I just hate him so much it's almost unhealthy. It's actually comforting to know some Hawks fans think he's a w***er too.

In terms of confessions... I actually feel a little sorry for the Essendon playing group.... Sorry north fans

After my initial naive shock that there were drugs in the AFL, I was happy for Essendon to * over the AFL and drag it out as long as possible.

I would also like to thank blackcat (I don't know how to tag posters) for opening my eyes.

Last edited:
I really can't stand bob Murphy or the bulldogs?
That comment is what the thread is all about. Good one.
Even though I totally disagree.

I hate hawthorn don't get me wrong but once I knew wce couldn't win I just sat there at my lowest point and marvelled at the Hawthorn Football Club. Clarko, Hodge, Frawley. The recruitment staff are genious. It really is the family club, the way they celebrated with there young families on the ground. Total respect for them as the best team of all time. Until rd 1 and then I can return to my spiteful and jealous thoughts again.

I know it's footy and we should be analyzing footy/tactics/etc etc but I always notice players aesthetics and their haircuts

I always notice when they get new hair cuts or when they should, or when they do a little tint in them

I can't stand how clean shaven Priddis is!! and I know he got his blonde tints done for the brownlow

Zac Dawsons haircut makes him look like Kramer and he needs to get a looser fitting Guernsey.

Some of the Gold Coast boys have terrible hair cuts, especially the one with the long blonde hair... filthy!! get a haircut ffs you've got the money!!

the sexual objectification of nat fyfe by 45 year old women over social media is disgusting and makes me vomit a little in my mouth! that said Fyfe and Schoey are such specimens (no homosexual connotations intended). I love Schoeys haircut when it's done nicely. Fyfe's hair suits him and he doesn't need to get a hair cut.

Rance has a great haircut

dusty's haircut suits him and makes him look like a bad boy and he should be a model for bad boy clothing, mum reckons its horrible and that Dangerfield is a cutie.

Everytime Dangerfield gets the ball she says oh Dangerfield what a cutie

but when dusty gets it she will say oh that dustin needs to get a new haircut and those tattoos are horrible, she also said swannie has no more room

am I the only one that notices haircuts?
You and Brian Taylor...

. geelong 08 was an insanely good team (in fact the best 1 season team i've ever seen).

I reckon our 2011 should rate up there.

167% (wouldve been higher if not for a 96pt loss in round 22) and, including preseason, only got beaten by one team all year (unfortunately 3 times)... And only 2 of the other wins were even close- most were by massive margins.
One team had figured out how to beat us, and unfortunately they were too good for us, but that really was a season that got away, due a multitude of factors.

Yes. I think they've done more than enough penance for their sins. The competition needs a strong Carlton. And they have the best team song. By far.
Awwwww, I think I'm crying a bit.... Very nice words, thank you...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back