Mega Thread 2014 Free Agency and Trade discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I pay scant attention to other clubs, but what about Lewis Johnston from Adelaide. Anybody could have kicked six against us at the end of last year, but he's also kicked four and three in the space of 10 games - which by our standards would be cause for celebration. Has been injured (hand) this year but assuming Clark isn't going to make a surprise comeback we've got to get another forward to give Hogan some breathing room in his first season. The Crows might want to keep him around for when Pods retires but if not he could be a cheap get.

Please place NO THANKS replies in the space provided below.

I pay scant attention to other clubs, but what about Lewis Johnston from Adelaide. Anybody could have kicked six against us at the end of last year, but he's also kicked four and three in the space of 10 games - which by our standards would be cause for celebration. Has been injured (hand) this year but assuming Clark isn't going to make a surprise comeback we've got to get another forward to give Hogan some breathing room in his first season. The Crows might want to keep him around for when Pods retires but if not he could be a cheap get.

Please place NO THANKS replies in the space provided below.

He can kick goals , he bagged 4 earlier in the season against the cats without much effort

Probably more trading pick #20 odd for a 30 and 34 year old. There is no need to trade for RO'K - we should be able to pick him up for nothing as a delisted FA.
Oh yeah that's true, just like we picked up Cross. You'd think ROK would be as good as delisted.

The more I think about it the more I think we should take on ROK
He is a fitness freak, he has streamlined his body and he hasnt had almost any injuries in his whole career
I remember reading that he is a diet and fitness freak and he was a Norm Smith Medallist 2 years ago

He is one of the guys who could play on into the high 30's and he could also be a good option as an assistant coach

Seriously its either him or some more blokes like Nicholson, Evans, Terlich and co

But they could just sign Frawley as a free agent??
Yeah they could but this way would get a decent pick as well. If give up 3 for Mitchell and malceski. They might even throw in 17/18 in good faith.

Just a thought I had.

Yeah they could but this way would get a decent pick as well. If give up 3 for Mitchell and malceski. They might even throw in 17/18 in good faith.

Just a thought I had.

That would be a pretty good deal for us!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

pick 3 gives us tremendous bargaining power at the trade table. Surely it could get us a lot more than Tom Mitchell. Sydney are a strong side, but if he was worth trading pick 3 for he'd be playing now. Simple as that. Remember Brent Prismall? Shane Savage? Our very own Shannon Byrnes? Fringe players at good sides don't automatically become good players in s**t sides. Sure Mitchell's younger and thus has a greater scope for improvement but there's too much of an unknown with him. I'm all for trading pick 3 but it needs to be swapped for a surer bet than Mitchell.

Why give up any real currency for Malceski? Good player, yes, improve our team, yes, but for how long? He's just about 30 and has had his fair share of injuries. Pick #20 still nets you a pretty good kid. We have burned some draft picks in recent years, but that makes it more important to nail the ones we have now. You top up a list with trading - you build with draft picks. We don't have a list worth topping up at the moment.

If Chip signs a new contract, throw coin at the bloke. If not, there are other players out there, and ideally if we're going to give up something substantial for a player, they need to be no older than 27 / 28 and have 5 odd years left at the top.

pick 3 gives us tremendous bargaining power at the trade table. Surely it could get us a lot more than Tom Mitchell. Sydney are a strong side, but if he was worth trading pick 3 for he'd be playing now. Simple as that. Remember Brent Prismall? Shane Savage? Our very own Shannon Byrnes? Fringe players at good sides don't automatically become good players in s**t sides. Sure Mitchell's younger and thus has a greater scope for improvement but there's too much of an unknown with him. I'm all for trading pick 3 but it needs to be swapped for a surer bet than Mitchell.
This was exactly my thoughts re: Tyson last year. I think it's unrealistic to get a 'known' to come to Melbourne, despite how much we have improved.

Lets not forget Dom Tyson was a fringe player at GWS

Why give up any real currency for Malceski? Good player, yes, improve our team, yes, but for how long? He's just about 30 and has had his fair share of injuries. Pick #20 still nets you a pretty good kid. We have burned some draft picks in recent years, but that makes it more important to nail the ones we have now. You top up a list with trading - you build with draft picks. We don't have a list worth topping up at the moment.

If Chip signs a new contract, throw coin at the bloke. If not, there are other players out there, and ideally if we're going to give up something substantial for a player, they need to be no older than 27 / 28 and have 5 odd years left at the top.
He hasn't been injured for a few years now IIRC, also he's in what's arguably career best form. He still has a few years to give, he'd be a handy acquisition for us.

He hasn't been injured for a few years now IIRC, also he's in what's arguably career best form. He still has a few years to give, he'd be a handy acquisition for us.

Yep, all true, but I wouldn't give up pick #20 for two full good seasons from him, and we mightn't get that.

Yep, all true, but I wouldn't give up pick #20 for two full good seasons from him, and we mightn't get that.
Yeah I understand why you wouldn't, he could slow up anytime now as he's getting to that age, but he could also give us a few good seasons. Who knows. There's pros and cons. We might not even need to give up a 2nd rounder for him if the Swans are desperate for room in salary cap to poach more big names, and other reasons, but if we want Stretch then we have to consider what we give away picks-wise.

Mitchell has been injured this year, and on return, unable to break into a winning side (12 in a row?).

Mitchell is a better player then Tyson was at the same stage, do you complain about that trade now?

Tom will be a gun, Roosy knows him well and I'm sure he'll go for him.

We'll get just as good a value out of #3 for Mitchell and Malceski as we have for #2 for Tyson and Salem (#9).

Although ideally we'd get a pick upgrade thrown in there as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back