Toast Fremantle's 1st 2018 National Draft Pick: Sam Sturt [Pick #17]

Remove this Banner Ad

Sturt can play a similar role, Schultz is partly a lead out forward

Tom Emmett will have to pick up the other side of the role
And will love to have the opportunity. I believe he can apply as much pressure which is exciting but his ability to impact the scoreboard like Schultz is unknown and unlikely.

He should be in the team even if Shultz is in, they play different roles
If Sam Sturt plays all 22 or 23 games next season, he should kick 30 goals minimum.

My prediction... He will have an ok season. Plays 15-17 games next season and kicks 20-25 goals and gets a 2 year extension until 2026 to make it to his 8th season as a free agent

Hopefully the focus is on what Sturt can do (not what he can't) and looking to maximise that.

All the evidence probably points to the failure of tightarsery as a way to manage a team.

I posted in the list management thread and got laughed at… but time to throw at the least a year’s extension to Sturt to keep him here till 2025. We’ve put 6 years of development and rehab into him - just watch him have a breakout year next year, then ask for a trade back home.

I posted in the list management thread and got laughed at… but time to throw at the least a year’s extension to Sturt to keep him here till 2025. We’ve put 6 years of development and rehab into him - just watch him have a breakout year next year, then ask for a trade back home.
Couldn’t agree more.
There’s far far lesser players signed up for the next 2 years

Need to sign this kid on 2 years with trigger for a 3rd (at least) ASAP or he'll be another Lachie Schultz.
Natural forwards like him don't grow on trees and in a good team he will dominate from minimal touches.
For memory he's only signed until the end of 2024, so you can guarantee VIC clubs will already be getting in his ear.
We're asleep at the wheel on this one (as usual) by not having signed him already beyond 2024. Unfortunately for us non-vic clubs we need to give these talented Vic players probably a year more than they're worth, just to stop the Vic teams from getting in their ear.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Need to sign this kid on 2 years with trigger for a 3rd (at least) ASAP or he'll be another Lachie Schultz.
Natural forwards like him don't grow on trees and in a good team he will dominate from minimal touches.
For memory he's only signed until the end of 2024, so you can guarantee VIC clubs will already be getting in his ear.
We're asleep at the wheel on this one (as usual) by not having signed him already beyond 2024. Unfortunately for us non-vic clubs we need to give these talented Vic players probably a year more than they're worth, just to stop the Vic teams from getting in their ear.
Amen brother.
I could not agree more. I’m the first on here to criticise the club for signing up fring guys on longer deals but this is different. He was our best forward for the last 6 games. He’s very obviously on the steep part of the improvement curve, with plenty more to come. Very capable of kicking 40 goals from 23 games next year.

If people like Worner, Banfield and Hughes are getting 2 and 3 year deals, then Sturt deserves one. A 2 year extension to his current deal would get him to free agency. It should be one of the more obvious list management moves.

While you are correct, the ghost of 2018 haunts this club and it might be better if we just bite the bullet and trade him after he dominates in 2024. Only then will the curse be lifted and the club shall prosper.

Out of all the dockery outcomes imaginable, Sam Sturt having an injury free 2024 and becoming one of the competitions premier medium sized forwards but ending up going back to Victoria at the end of the year because he got a better offer elsewhere might just be the one that would tip me off the edge and into Graylands.

I would dearly love to see him stay, be signed on for at least three more years.
He and the club have done the hard work to get him where he is now.Injury illness etc have held him back.
I think the season just gone was his last chance.He more than showed he can play at the required level and we need to keep him.
As the forwards begining to weld together more, the better and more involved he will be in rhe running of the forward line.
A must sign.

I think Sturt had a decent back half of the season and should look at Schultz leaving as a further opportunity to assert himself as an important piece for us, but I think people are getting a tad carried away with the player he is. Fergus Greene literally just got delisted for putting up similar if not better numbers for a worse team: Sam Sturt and Fergus Greene AFL Stats Comparison

2024 is a key year for him. 2023 felt like him having to fight for his AFL career. Now the door is open, and he can potentially be that 30+ goal fwd for us or he can get leapfrogged by players we draft in and once again find his AFL future in the balance.

Sammy has a WA based GF so hopefully that's on our side

I think Sturt had a decent back half of the season and should look at Schultz leaving as a further opportunity to assert himself as an important piece for us, but I think people are getting a tad carried away with the player he is. Fergus Greene literally just got delisted for putting up similar if not better numbers for a worse team: Sam Sturt and Fergus Greene AFL Stats Comparison

2024 is a key year for him. 2023 felt like him having to fight for his AFL career. Now the door is open, and he can potentially be that 30+ goal fwd for us or he can get leapfrogged by players we draft in and once again find his AFL future in the balance.
Lol yet another case of someone getting blindly lead by stats

Sturt is two years younger and a former first round pick whereas Green was a DFA and former 4th round pick.

Also Green only kicked 4 goals in his last 5 games, whereas Sturt kicked 12 in his last 7.

Last edited:
Lol yet another case of someone getting blindly lead by stats
Yes? Given the main praise of Sturt is that he is "a natural forward", it should be reflected in basic offensive metrics: goals, goal assists, score involvements. Fergus Greene outperforms him in all 3, and he got delisted.

Players like Schultz, Switta, Treacy, etc are the types who have games beyond stats. If Sturt's not putting up numbers, what does he do at an above average level?

S

Sturt is two years younger and a former first round pick whereas Green was a DFA and former 4th round pick.

Also Green only kicked 4 goals in his last 5 games, whereas Sturt kicked 12 in his last 7.
Sure, the youth is why you have more faith in Sturt than Greene. My point is people here are overcorrecting: if what Greene is doing was worth a somewhat harsh delisting, what Sturt is doing isn't worth "drop everything and re-sign him for 4 years this instant or the titanic will sink."

The recent uptick is why I'd have his name on the team sheet in pencil with the hopes that that small sample size is replicable, but it wouldn't move me to make any sort of long-term commitment, not by a long shot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back