Freo's trading and drafting

Remove this Banner Ad

He has more pace than Hill but will have to play a similar role to Hill at the next level - unless he has a 50 cleared for him, what he has done at Subi - the most dominant side in the WAFL over the last 3 year - will not translate to AFL level.

Had the 50 to himself with a mountain of supply, that isn't going to happen in the big time.

Still don't quite understand why an ND pick was used on a bloke turning 27 next year....

this isnt true... last year shane yarran was the bit part to bolland and clancey wheeler

this year he has been more of the focal target but in the grand final again he was the bit part to bolland

yarran actually wasnt suited to being the primary target. he's more suited to playing as third tall where he can work his way around the ground and get on a break or a clear jump at the ball

as for the last part. shallow draft and premiership window. geelong did it with pods. helped them get another flag. its no different to using say free agency or DFAs on veterans (see ellis)

He may well be. I'm simply pointing out that your posting history where you claim things as "fact" can't be trusted.

Yarran could play nothing like Josh Hill but because you say he will be good, he is probably going to spud it up.

You're not Kim Hackdorn are you?

yes, yes i am.

thanks for proving my point by the way

He has more pace than Hill but will have to play a similar role to Hill at the next level - unless he has a 50 cleared for him, what he has done at Subi - the most dominant side in the WAFL over the last 3 year - will not translate to AFL level.

Had the 50 to himself with a mountain of supply, that isn't going to happen in the big time.

Still don't quite understand why an ND pick was used on a bloke turning 27 next year....
one question mate how many 17-18yr old pick 61's in the ND play in their first yr??? not many if any, if you dont know how the rookie draft works,just so you know you actually have to upgrade someone to the main list and if you still dont understand why we picked him then sorry mate cant help ya there

one question mate how many 17-18yr old pick 61's in the ND play in their first yr??? not many if any,

Two from last year's draft did this season. One (Zaine Cordy) in a finals team. The other was Clem Smith (Carlton)

one question mate how many 17-18yr old pick 61's in the ND play in their first yr??? not many if any, if you dont know how the rookie draft works,just so you know you actually have to upgrade someone to the main list and if you still dont understand why we picked him then sorry mate cant help ya there
Two from last year's draft did this season. One (Zaine Cordy) in a finals team. The other was Clem Smith (Carlton)
There were two pick 61's in last years draft?!

So who were they going to draft in the past 2 years that would have changed all this???

And this is exactly why Fremantle are where they are.

At no stage have Fremantle shown any creativity to put themselves in a position to draft requirements or orchestrate a mutually beneficial trade.

It's a complete lack of foresight.

The biggest error was not moving heaven and earth to snare Hogan in the mini draft - was the perfect fit, right under their noses and simply failed in their obligation to their fan base to do the right thing and secure a generational talent.

At no stage have Fremantle shown any creativity to put themselves in a position to draft requirements or orchestrate a mutually beneficial trade.

The biggest error was not moving heaven and earth to snare Hogan in the mini draft - was the perfect fit, right under their noses and simply failed in their obligation to their fan base to do the right thing and secure a generational talent.
'Hello hindsight my old friend'

So in other words, you dont actually know who...

So West Coast with a decent forward half have struggled with a second rate midfield and have done nothing to ease the problem,smashed by Hawthorns mids in the GF. Severe lack of creativity in WC,s midfield draft selections.:rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember when it was the freo fans who were obsessed with west coast
Not the other way around :cool:

Since when is josh hill considered a third tall?

I think you're getting too hung up on that phrase.

Hill can lead out of the goal square and take a mark, and plays as the de-facto "third tall" when the Eagles are only playing two key forwards (eg. when Darling was missing early this year, and Hill was playing some of his best footy). It's not his entire game, but it's not Yarran's either. They're both ideally "medium forwards" or just "forwards" if you really have to put a label on what they do, and they're both the same size and body shape (185-186cm, 79-80kg, long and lean) and move with a similar pace and "bounce" as well.

If you can't see the similarities in their games, and in the roles they do or will play at AFL level, then I can't help you.

Last edited:

So what do you suggest we should have offered that would have topped Melbourne's bid of pick 2?

I guess Fyfe might have got it over the line, what a great move that would have been.

So what do you suggest we should have offered that would have topped Melbourne's bid of pick 2?

I guess Fyfe might have got it over the line, what a great move that would have been.

Picks 17,36 & Michael Barlow - Which was what was mooted at the time - but Fremantle baulked.

I think you're getting too hung up on that phrase.

Hill can lead out of the goal square and take a mark, and plays as the de-facto "third tall" when the Eagles are only playing two key forwards (eg. when Darling was missing early this year, and Hill was playing some of his best footy). It's not his entire game, but it's not Yarran's either. They're both ideally "medium forwards" or just "forwards" if you really have to put a label on what they do, and they're both the same size and body shape (185-186cm, 79-80kg, long and lean) and move with a similar pace and "bounce" as well.

If you can't see the similarities in their games, and in the roles they do or will play at AFL level, then I can't help you.
Mate ive seen both play regularly. Yarran has a marking game. Hill doesnt. Yarran plays much taller than his height. Yarran would be 190cm not mid 180s

He is NOTHING like hill

Mate ive seen both play regularly. Yarran has a marking game. Hill doesnt. Yarran plays much taller than his height. Yarran would be 190cm not mid 180s

He is NOTHING like hill

I don't think you're watching Hill - he's very good overhead - don't ask him to tackle or apply pressure on the way out, but facing goals he's deadly - much like Yarran.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back