Gameday - Suns VS Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Disagree with tuis. Its more frustration at the repeated failure to address obvious deficiencies in the way we play and the total lack of any improvement.

barlow and Mundy may have gotten another game but Barlow was a passenger today and Mundy was pretty poor early. Did a couple of nice things but nowhere near where I expected him to be.

Hopefully Hill will pull up ok for next week but much will depend on how bad the 'corky' was and how quick he recovers. He is an essential player for us, in my view, as we look so much better when he's playing well.

Spurr did look composed and was a positive today. If Fyfe is on the LTI, I'd like to see us bring in Menegola as he would ad a lot to our half forward line. May prove to be a better pickup than Spurr.

Wouldn't be worried about Barlow and Mundy, they're proven class. On the bolded, well that's rubbish. If you can't see how much better we're running out games than in the past then you're blind. Agree that first halves and our starts still need addressing, liked our forward setup more today though with the rovers in Mayne/De boer/Ballantyne/Neale all looking dangerous at the fall of the ball.

Clarke's continual rise is also special to watch.

I think some people love the attention they get from making shitty doomsday predictions. Another full game into Barlow and Mundy is good too, hopefully Hill being subbed out was purely a precautionary move.

Also reckon Spurr looked good when he came on, looks composed and makes the right decisions.
Agree, Spurr was solid.

Read that Hill had a corky on the main board.

As long as you're willing to forgive Pav, you were a little harsh on him back there ;)

Apologies to Pav for having a big second half. I still think he needs to kick more goals but was vital late on.

Said this a few pages back, and yes will reiterate my apologies to our loyal Captain. To think as well I hate those threads on the main board about players 10 minutes into a game, bagging the players big time.

Ahhh the good ole blame the coach comment.

Our players were clearly just not up to it today in terms of intensity. Thought we had much better structures though.

What's your actual gripe with how Lyon coached today?

Not making a decision on Hill and having a player short for half the game,letting Bennell run free to cut us up even when Swallow was gone,Roberton in the midfield,moving Mc Pharlin up forward who caused them grief only to move him back and replace with Mc Phee who did nothing,not having our best clearance players on the ball at the end just to name a couple and I never said it's all the coaches fault.

Wouldn't be worried about Barlow and Mundy, they're proven class. On the bolded, well that's rubbish. If you can't see how much better we're running out games than in the past then you're blind. Agree that first halves and our starts still need addressing, liked our forward setup more today though with the rovers in Mayne/De boer/Ballantyne/Neale all looking dangerous at the fall of the ball.

Clarke's continual rise is also special to watch.

Only thing I can agree with here is Clarke's rise but that was starting to be seen last year.

We are running out games but we ran them them out pretty well over over the previous 2 seasons until our injury list cruelled the team. From memory we ran out games pretty well early in the season but fell away as the year wore on. If that doesn't happen this year, I'll concede your point.

Actually I agree with your comments about our starts, they need work and I think out forward structure needs a lot more attention.

My original point was referring to our poor skills. They haven't improved and have maybe gotten worse. the GC kids were much better than us today in that area. They were able to kick to players where we were kicking up and unders too often allowing defenders an easy spoil. Notable exeptions were Clarke and Mundy (sometimes)

We also handball 'up and under' too often and seeming can't hit targets. How many times today did a handball miss a target or go to somebody's ankles? I lost count. I was ready to punch the screen in frustration as this is a point I've been yelling about for a long time but it seems worse this year (maybe thats just me)

Our skills coach and our main caoch should be dealing with this as a matter of priority. Lyon's gameplan requires more precision in ball movement that we are producing and its costing us games. It will continue to cost us games if its not improved but I dont see any acknowledgement of it by the coaches or efforts to address it. Hence my point.

Just a quiet observation, but the way Broughton slid into Swallow feet first was bloody scary. Dangerous, and I wouldn't want to happen to one of ours.

Just a quiet observation, but the way Broughton slid into Swallow feet first was bloody scary. Dangerous, and I wouldn't want to happen to one of ours.
Yeah I cringe when I see players slide in like that. I reckon it's only a matter of time until there's some sort of rule change to stop it from happening.

A trivial question - the commentators were saying this was the first we'd ever won at that ground. Is this the old Carrara stadium where we beat Carlton a couple of years ago, and the Brisbane Bears in the early years?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To me it looked like Broughton slid into the ball, not Swallow, who I thought arrived after Broughton had hands on the ball.

I was a the game. That is the best match ive ever seen GC play and without their stars!

Dockers shouldnt get too down on their performance. Up against a great team on the night and won the game when it mattered.

Rumour that a virus went through the group this week,Pav nearly didnt get on the plane
Maybe explains some of the lack of effort but in saying that GC were outstanding
Hard fought win by Freo

Did he say anything about Stephen's injury ?

Nope - I coach him and we were at our game.

I just asked him if he knew the score and he just said serious corky for Stephen.

I've only watched the first half - I assume Hill was subbed?

This. Silvagni should have come in for Fyfe - like for like replacement. If Silvagni was playing he would have had 39 possessions, 20 marks and 3 goals when drifting forward.

Ross said after the game that Silvagni was competing with McPharlan, Dawson and Johnson for a position in the team.

This indicates that he has been pigeon holed as a backman which surprises me given he has shown promise when he has gone forward in the past.

One thing Silvagni will give you is effort so I am surpised they haven't given him a run up forward given our lack of system up there.

There must be something else going on with him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back