Rumour Gary Ablett might never play again

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd guess that it's technology that was cutting edge thousands of years ago, but has been superseded with modern knowledge.
You are making an unfounded assumption there. It wasn't "technological" thousands of years ago - it was actually how our bodies evolved (through necessity). Modern knowledge did not do any studies and reach a conclusion that more carbs are the best way to fuel the body. In fact, modern science is now reaching the opposite conclusion - that carbohydrates need to be kept much lower than they have been. Many conditions are caused by modern society's addiction to sugar. Our bodies did not evolve to take in the amount of carbohydrates we do. The Paleo approach is very sound for many people.

You are making an unfounded assumption there. It wasn't "technological" thousands of years ago - it was actually how our bodies evolved (through necessity). Modern knowledge did not do any studies and reach a conclusion that more carbs are the best way to fuel the body. In fact, modern science is now reaching the opposite conclusion - that carbohydrates need to be kept much lower than they have been. Many conditions are caused by modern society's addiction to sugar. Our bodies did not evolve to take in the amount of carbohydrates we do. The Paleo approach is very sound for many people.

It was tongue in cheek mate. I know that hunter gatherers consuming what ever they could get their hands on wasn't a technological matter. Where the joke was is that GAJ is choosing to ignore the many technological advances in diet and pharmacological support to assist him in his recovery and return him to elite level sport in the most effective manner.

It was tongue in cheek mate. I know that hunter gatherers consuming what ever they could get their hands on wasn't a technological matter. Where the joke was is that GAJ is choosing to ignore the many technological advances in diet and pharmacological support to assist him in his recovery and return him to elite level sport in the most effective manner.
Fair enough. I agree that he might be taking it a bit too far in the case of treatment for his shoulder. He might be prematurely ending his career for his all-natural cause. But the diet he's on is actually low-inflammation, so it's not all bad.

Amazing how all these people who seem to know how Gary Ablett should look after his body didn't seem to have an issue during the past 6~ years when he was the best player in the league and one of the best to ever play the game. A slow recovery from a badly dislocated shoulder and suddenly everything Gaz does is wrong.

Interesting that many people say it is his responsibility as a professional athlete to take ant-inflammatories when it is all an assumption that its based on his beliefs. Besides the fact that others have been misinformed by doctors about what is best for them (ala Essendon) it could be for other medical reasons. I know someone who recently had a stomach ulcer and she is not allowed to have Nurofen (which is a low risk anti-inflammatory) for the rest of her life. Not suggesting that GAJ has anything like that, but more suggesting that there could be other reasons than the 'personal beliefs' that Caro suggested- unconfirmed- in her article.

Interesting that many people say it is his responsibility as a professional athlete to take ant-inflammatories when it is all an assumption that its based on his beliefs. Besides the fact that others have been misinformed by doctors about what is best for them (ala Essendon) it could be for other medical reasons. I know someone who recently had a stomach ulcer and she is not allowed to have Nurofen (which is a low risk anti-inflammatory) for the rest of her life. Not suggesting that GAJ has anything like that, but more suggesting that there could be other reasons than the 'personal beliefs' that Caro suggested- unconfirmed- in her article.

It probably is a personal belief, but it has nothing to do with and is entirely separate from his religion.

In fact, I find it kind of bizarre that people would immediately assume it has anything to do with his religion, TBH. Just seems like a way to take a thinly-veiled dig at the bloke for his religious beliefs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't he just sign a new contract. Why sign if you wont play again?
That's pretty obvious isn't it

He was about to sign for ages, the moment he realizes his shoulder is no good (after struggling in games) he puts pen to paper

Couldn't have those $$$$'s offered being reduced. ..

Like everything the club says, take it with a grain of salt. Run by liars and assholes.

Clearly not impressed by the club. Fair enough. I know you posted at one point that Zac Smith could a FA target and you didn't rate him. What leads you to be of that opinion?

Go Catters

Clearly not impressed by the club. Fair enough. I know you posted at one point that Zac Smith could a FA target and you didn't rate him. What leads you to be of that opinion?

Go Catters
Zac has a big attitude/motivation/confidence problem. I know he has the potential to be a good ruckman, but his pressure around the field is not even close to AFL level. Poor kick, can't tackle, can't run, can't focus. Great at hitouts, but terrible at everything else. I force myself to like him because he's a Queenslander and I want him to succeed, but he'll be 26 before the start of next season and doesn't look anywhere near AFL-level. He was a project player, and it seems to be the popular opinion that he just isn't right for us.

In saying that, there are multiple examples of clubs picking up a mediocre player and turning them into a superstar, so perhaps he'll shine somewhere else, but at the moment he's been overtaken by not only Nicholls, but by a first year rookie who's not even played at AFL-level yet in Brooksby. Real shame.

Zac has a big attitude/motivation/confidence problem. I know he has the potential to be a good ruckman, but his pressure around the field is not even close to AFL level. Poor kick, can't tackle, can't run, can't focus. Great at hitouts, but terrible at everything else. I force myself to like him because he's a Queenslander and I want him to succeed, but he'll be 26 before the start of next season and doesn't look anywhere near AFL-level. He was a project player, and it seems to be the popular opinion that he just isn't right for us.

In saying that, there are multiple examples of clubs picking up a mediocre player and turning them into a superstar, so perhaps he'll shine somewhere else, but at the moment he's been overtaken by not only Nicholls, but by a first year rookie who's not even played at AFL-level yet in Brooksby. Real shame.

I remember everyone (mainly non-GC supporters) being really high on Smith in his first couple of seasons, and people were expecting him to become the next Dean Cox. What happened? Did his knee injury just stuff him up (physically and mentally) totally? Or did people just get blinded by disposal numbers?

I remember everyone (mainly non-GC supporters) being really high on Smith in his first couple of seasons, and people were expecting him to become the next Dean Cox. What happened? Did his knee injury just stuff him up (physically and mentally) totally? Or did people just get blinded by disposal numbers?
Even as recently as the NAB Challenge game against Geelong, Smith showed truly awesome skill, athleticism, and aggression. After that, he's shown nothing even remotely close.

Overall, in my opinion, he's never been the same his doing his knee. But I think it's a mental thing, rather than a physical inability to perform. Watching Smith's NAB game against Geelong had me so excited, but he's been well and truly overtaken by Nicholls in the 1s, and Brooksby in the 2s - even Gorringe is better atm.

Even as recently as the NAB Challenge game against Geelong, Smith showed truly awesome skill, athleticism, and aggression. After that, he's shown nothing even remotely close.

Overall, in my opinion, he's never been the same his doing his knee. But I think it's a mental thing, rather than a physical inability to perform. Watching Smith's NAB game against Geelong had me so excited, but he's been well and truly overtaken by Nicholls in the 1s, and Brooksby in the 2s - even Gorringe is better atm.

He bathed us in that NAB game. Of course he runs riot against us…lol.

Surprised it was one off.

Will be interesting to see if someone pays for the potential ….

GO Catters

if the doc says he ready and he wont play I hope they are docking his pay. that club is screaming for leadership.
There's no way the club would dare dock his pay. He'd check his account every pay day and there would be hell to pay if he was a dollar short.

Tragic the best of Ablett is past us. Until he was injured, he was in career best form last year. This 3 year deal for a 1 arm Ablett is going to backfire and s**t has already hit the fan on and off field with the players. Wouldn't be surprised if there is an exodus soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back