Preview Geelong at the 2014 AFL National Draft, Thursday 27 November

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really not sold on Weller. I can't quite put my finger on why, but I reckon it's a combination of his size, and being too outside for my liking. But I probably have a tendency to prefer ball winners with size. Weller is icing, but we need more cake - we can't just rely on Jansen to save the day (sorry Daniel McL).

There is plenty of cake in the oven cooking , we need to start to find the icing for the cake.

GHS , Hartman , Lang (in and out), Jansen ... and we we may well find a late pick type that can do the role. When I look at the best available its either a tall or or an outside player , maybe DeGoey at a pinch.

There is plenty of cake in the oven cooking , we need to start to find the icing for the cake.

GHS , Hartman , Lang (in and out), Jansen ... and we we may well find a late pick type that can do the role. When I look at the best available its either a tall or or an outside player , maybe DeGoey at a pinch.

We have that many holes in our list that it almost doesn't matter if we take an inside mid, an outside mid, a ruck or a KPD. Whilst we are hopeful that our current crop of young guys will become bona fide AFL players, reality is that not all will make it. We lack quality all over the park now. One top 10 player will hopefully help to cover one of our issues.

We have that many holes in our list that it almost doesn't matter if we take an inside mid, an outside mid, a ruck or a KPD. Whilst we are hopeful that our current crop of young guys will become bona fide AFL players, reality is that not all will make it. We lack quality all over the park now. One top 10 player will hopefully help to cover one of our issues.
Geez we're not travelling that badly mate.

Holes in the list and the side are differnt though YOTC. My point is we have some young guys recently drafted that should devlop as inside mids. Its unlikely that at 10 the best choice will be an inside mid.
To me the biggest are of weakness has been age/experience , so that will not be resolved in the draft. But what we lack in youthful talent is outside class mids and another good young KPP. We may decide to add another tall who can play ruck forward but it is not our greatest weaknes atm , likewise I do not think inside mids are our weakness "In list" especailly if Cowan and Smedts actually come good.

If everyone spent time looking at the GWS and GC list.
They'd realise we have holes EVERYWHERE.

The club just has to find a way to stay competitive for 1o years.

If everyone spent time looking at the GWS and GC list.
They'd realise we have holes EVERYWHERE.

The club just has to find a way to stay competitive for 1o years.

I've unfortunately returned to my pessimistic state of the first 37 years of my GFC barracking life. The wipeout of our 2009 draft I think will be telling in the next few years. Only Duncan effectively remains from what could have been a haul similar to those of '99 and '01.

The way I see it is we are undermanned already in the midfield with the imminent loss of SJ. Bartel and Kelly are no longer playing significant roles inside so we are batting very thin these days. I think that Caddy will be good. Duncan is good. Guthrie should be good but I think is better suited as an attacking small defender. Then we have a host of young guys where the jury is still well and truly out - Hartman, Lang, Jansen, Horlin-Smith and Smedts. The loss of Christensen is massive. He made things happen.

Compare that with the likes of PA, Sydney, GC and GWS as you have mentioned - the depth of talent in their midfields smashes ours.

Then we have the loss of Lonergan, Mackie, Rivers and Enright over the next 2 years. You just can't lose players of this calibre from your back six and expect to remain competitive. It's remarkable that we have been able to remain a top 6 team since 2011. But I think that will change soon. I think we will hang in there next year but 2016 will be a shocker.

I've unfortunately returned to my pessimistic state of the first 37 years of my GFC barracking life. The wipeout of our 2009 draft I think will be telling in the next few years. Only Duncan effectively remains from what could have been a haul similar to those of '99 and '01.

The way I see it is we are undermanned already in the midfield with the imminent loss of SJ. Bartel and Kelly are no longer playing significant roles inside so we are batting very thin these days. I think that Caddy will be good. Duncan is good. Guthrie should be good but I think is better suited as an attacking small defender. Then we have a host of young guys where the jury is still well and truly out - Hartman, Lang, Jansen, Horlin-Smith and Smedts. The loss of Christensen is massive. He made things happen.

Compare that with the likes of PA, Sydney, GC and GWS as you have mentioned - the depth of talent in their midfields smashes ours.

Then we have the loss of Lonergan, Mackie, Rivers and Enright over the next 2 years. You just can't lose players of this calibre from your back six and expect to remain competitive. It's remarkable that we have been able to remain a top 6 team since 2011. But I think that will change soon. I think we will hang in there next year but 2016 will be a shocker.

I'm a little negative also however with youth there is hope if we are injury free we can compete

Holes in the list and the side are differnt though YOTC. My point is we have some young guys recently drafted that should devlop as inside mids. Its unlikely that at 10 the best choice will be an inside mid.
To me the biggest are of weakness has been age/experience , so that will not be resolved in the draft. But what we lack in youthful talent is outside class mids and another good young KPP. We may decide to add another tall who can play ruck forward but it is not our greatest weaknes atm , likewise I do not think inside mids are our weakness "In list" especailly if Cowan and Smedts actually come good.

There's just too many question marks for me TC.

But I did use any question marks did I ? (till now)

I pressume you have doubts on those we have on the list. Your right , not all will be best 22 players. Just doesn't happen.

Doubts over the quality of our players under 24, and huge doubts about our capacity to cover the loss of a massive number of senior players in the next 2 years.

Doubts over the quality of our players under 24, and huge doubts about our capacity to cover the loss of a massive number of senior players in the next 2 years.

You have legit reasons for that , the doubt is fair enough.

I feel the draft last year was a good one , this years trade period is yet to be determined. If it gos bad you may well be right , but the additions of mid 20 types at least give us a chance.

Caleb Hislop from Tasmania would be a great pick up late. Hard running midfielder with striking similarities to the much more fancied Lachie Weller. Had a great carnival and performed exceptionally for the mariners in the TAC averaging 33 possessions and 4.5 clearances a game. He doesn't waste many possessions
I'd be happy with one of the Tassie Boys - McGuinness, Jones or Hislop. Possibly in that order, as we need depth in defender stocks, and I think Jones is the ball magnate, but Hislop isn't far behind.

Does anyone rate Hartley?

Seems like a big KPD that is ready to go, 21yo, averaged 4 marks in the VFL, still on the improve. 198cm, 102kgs. Not sure of his pace or endurance. Could be a late draft or rookie draft pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cal Twomey linked us to Daniel Butler with late picks , looking at the Draft machine he looks like a bit more a nippy goal scorer.... anyone seen him play at all?
Briefly. Looked OK but there are guys out there I like the look of more.

I like DeGoey, but with pick 10 I think we can find better. DeGoey needs to lift his work rate to get more possessions, I think he only averaged 17 per game at TAC level.

I like DeGoey, but with pick 10 I think we can find better. DeGoey needs to lift his work rate to get more possessions, I think he only averaged 17 per game at TAC level.

He probably fits the type we have seen plenty of , maybe not as exciting as a Pickett etc. Still looks a solid prospect to me , others have their reservations yet he has been linked with a pick as early as 5. Id pick others if we had a full range of choices but who knows what Wells thinks. Would it surprise anyone if he picks him?

He probably fits the type we have seen plenty of , maybe not as exciting as a Pickett etc. Still looks a solid prospect to me , others have their reservations yet he has been linked with a pick as early as 5. Id pick others if we had a full range of choices but who knows what Wells thinks. Would it surprise anyone if he picks him?
Agreed, yeah I pencilled him in too in a thread weeks ago based on that I thought he would be there at pick 10,pointless nominating players who will go earlier unless your chasing a like or two.

Hannebery, Kennedy, Parker, McVeigh, Jack would be all in the elite category now. Parker was a huge bolter this season as he was hanging around Duncan's level the year previously before really breaking out to become an A grader.
At Geelong, the blokes that are 30 and under and considered to be elite (consistently relied upon and will stand up again next year) are Selwood & Stokes.
Duncan isn't there yet but who knows where he goes in 2015 while Motlop is very close to elevating his game into that A class category.

Christensen obviously hurts us but we aren't that far behind those other teams you mention. We have to get big improvements from Guthrie and Caddy next season and then pray for Clark and Simpson to remain healthy and we could see dramatic improvements in our midfield numbers, right across the board.
Lang, Jansen, Horlin-Smith, Smedts, Thurlow, Cowan are still a work in progress at this stage in my opinion.
Lots of trial and error to find out who makes it from that bunch.

Stokes is 30 in a week.

Yes.

Well, perhaps surprise isn't the word I'm looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back