Expansion Geelong Chief Calls For International Expansion - AGE

Remove this Banner Ad

Waste of time and money.

In most countries soccer is the sport of choice as it is easy to play, easy to understand and the most accessible game. Aussie rules is really not any of those three things.
Australian football is easy to play and understand. You only need to watch the kids at Auskick, they have no troubles. Kick to kick in the backyard/street isn't really that different to soccer. Where it differs is you need an oval and goal posts compared to a soccer pitch and witches hats/jumpers/left over shoes can feature as goals for soccer.

But that's why South Africa makes some sense as they do have the cricket ovals.

If Colin Carter thinks 2 million dollars can see a return on investment in South Africa then I'd rather have a shot with the money over there instead of giving to Demetriou for 7 months of work.

The International Cup is sponsored and run by the AFL. So how can you say they don't care?

The USAFL is also partly funded by the AFL.

Sponsored as in they lend thier name to it and that's about it. It's not telecast anywhere when it's on, it's barely promoted, and the teams who are amateur associations have to fund the trips to get here themselves. You'd think the AFL would give them some money to at least get out here once every few years when these associations are promoting the AFLs product for them. It's not like the AFL doesn't have any money.
The USAFL should be fully funded by the AFL, because it's the AFLs product they are promoting, but they're not really interested in promoting it overseas, they only want the USAFL to help them find athletes to try and convert to our game for the marketing opportunity it brings.

An interesting question here would be how many players have made the AFL who didn't have an Australian background, grow up in Australia or learn Aussie rules in Australia? (Apart from the Irish and those from small islands near Australia)

I know Mike Pyke but can't immediately think of any others...

If it's going to happen it seems a long way off.

Australian football is easy to play and understand. You only need to watch the kids at Auskick, they have no troubles. Kick to kick in the backyard/street isn't really that different to soccer. Where it differs is you need an oval and goal posts compared to a soccer pitch and witches hats/jumpers/left over shoes can feature as goals for soccer.

But that's why South Africa makes some sense as they do have the cricket ovals.

If Colin Carter thinks 2 million dollars can see a return on investment in South Africa then I'd rather have a shot with the money over there instead of giving to Demetriou for 7 months of work.

Except you can practice soccer with anything....cans,socks, rocks, a ball of paper.....anything you can kick. You can't do that with Australian Football. Nothing in the world will prepare you for the bounce of an Australian football unless you have one.

image.jpg

I thought an illustration of the bleak north of england might enlighten some

Anyway its not a question of not wasting money overseas, that already happens. They think Brett Kirk is a household name and theve all met his wife and kids. And dont you know afl represents australia perfectly ?

What rot. By all means spend the money, but do it in a measured way consistent from year to year in the same countries. Prioritise some over the others if need be.

Eventually there will be money from elsewhere than the AFL.

View attachment 113771

I thought an illustration of the bleak north of england might enlighten some

If you can exaggerate, then so can i

woman_and_child_walking_in_industrial_uk_tow_450.jpg

That kid is on his way to Auskick.

Except you can practice soccer with anything....cans,socks, rocks, a ball of paper.....anything you can kick. You can't do that with Australian Football. Nothing in the world will prepare you for the bounce of an Australian football unless you have one.
None of those things are going to bounce like a soccer ball either. I have played footy with socks, balls of paper and cans before

None of those things are going to bounce like a soccer ball either. I have played footy with socks, balls of paper and cans before
Off-topic but actually I found as a kid practising with taped up balls of paper made me a better kick with an actual footy, especially set-shot goalkicking. It makes you focus on a consistent proper technique. The small paper ball forces you to kick the 'sweet spot' (i.e. centre of mass) to make the ball of paper go straight otherwise you spray it badly off the side of your foot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could i get a graph of the Port's share in the lucrative Chinese and Hong Kong markets? Preferably with squiggly lines and stuff.

This is new stuff, so try not to be a smart arse

In the United States, Basketball and Baseball each have a professional team in Toronto, and despite the frequent playing of games in London, the NFL remains United States only. Want to guess which league has a higher average attendance and is more profitable? That's right, the NFL. There is absolutely no need to expand overseas and there is no shame in not doing so.

Maybe the AFL should start playing some matches on Mars. There could be some Aliens that are missing out on our great game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back