News Andrew Dillon appointed new AFL chief executive

Remove this Banner Ad

Im told they did search the whole of Victoria to find the perfect replacement!
They searched the executive level of AFL house but due to scheduling problems they were only able to look in the office right next to the current CEO, luckily for them the guy in there seemed to tick all the boxes.

Another North hater as CEO of the AFL just wish that my club could live under the umbrella of Protection like the QLD and NSW clubs plus the Western Bulldogs and St.Kilda.

Allen Aylett didn't look after your mob enough? Straight from the gig as club president to VFL boss for 7 years

Saw Andrew on AFL 360 and thought he spoke quite well and seems pretty genuine. I was never a big fan of Gil and argue that the game is in great shape, especially at surbuban and country level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dillon is really highly qualified, he played, coached, ran ozkicks throughout his life and has been in all the key areas in AFL house, so knows how the whole ecosystem works. A very smart guy. I think he will be a very good CEO.
And yet, he doesn't take over till October. Why is there such a massive lead in time for someone who is apparently eminently qualified, especially as Gill was meant to be out the door months ago? It is not as though you need that time for handover - Andrew already knows everything about the job and wont be any better prepared in five months time.

I can only imagine that the AFL doesn't have that much faith in him.

AFL could save a million dollars by Gill going now. Think how much better spent that money could be used rather than throwing it a lame duck.

And yet, he doesn't take over till October. Why is there such a massive lead in time for someone who is apparently eminently qualified, especially as Gill was meant to be out the door months ago? It is not as though you need that time for handover - Andrew already knows everything about the job and wont be any better prepared in five months time.

I can only imagine that the AFL doesn't have that much faith in him.

AFL could save a million dollars by Gill going now. Think how much better spent that money could be used rather than throwing it a lame duck.
The only thing I can think of is Dillon is an under-the-radar type of bloke. His old man is an extrovert, he could have walked straight into it, but young Dillon is more introverted, thoughtful and careful and doesn't have much of a profile, so the next few months will be about building him up and getting him used to the high pressure of the job.

And yet, he doesn't take over till October.
Someone has to take the blame for Tassie getting a team after hitting the goal post that the AFL told the clubs they'd never be able to hit. Gil coping it and Dill taking over in October with clear air for season 2024 makes sense.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back