Laura Kane - New AFL Exec General Manager of Football

Remove this Banner Ad

That night she goes on AFL 360 and talks about ball tracking technology with robots while the actual solution is lining the goal and behind posts with hi speed HD cameras which can cost as little as $1k each and then you get software to ensure they are kept in sync at all times.

Nope.

You know if the afl was so keen on getting a female as the ceo (goyder actually chose Watson wheeler before the clubs flipped it and always chooses female ceo's in his chairman gigs), then I really wonder why Nicole Livingston wasn't considered? She is super impressive (as seen on 360 tonight), has profile around the country and no doubt a lot of contacts.

I'm surprised she has just stayed as the W ceo and never moved up to a higher position in the men's game.
Nicole Livingstone is not the CEO of AFLW. That would be Gillon McLachlan, soon to be Andrew Dillon. That she speaks well, has a profile, and has contacts, makes her ideal for her actual job... which is AFLW spokesperson.

She doesn't have a fraction of the experience (in terms of years and variety of roles and levels) in football of Laura Kane, whose qualifications for a position below AFL/W CEO are being questioned (albeit by people with nfi).

Nicole Livingstone is not the CEO of AFLW. That would be Gillon McLachlan, soon to be Andrew Dillon. That she speaks well, has a profile, and has contacts, makes her ideal for her actual job... which is AFLW spokesperson.

She doesn't have a fraction of the experience (in terms of years and variety of roles and levels) in football of Laura Kane, whose qualifications for a position below AFL/W CEO are being questioned (albeit by people with nfi).

So how will she make the game better over the next 3 years ?

I watched and listened to her on 360, she made a lot of sense and made some excellent points regarding the score review, none of that political garbage that Gill likes to spout. I'm not sure what people here are complaining about.
Geez I thought her 360 interview was horrible. Expressionless, emotionless, stiff and boring. Says nothing about whether she is competent or not, just interesting to see that other people saw that interview completely differently.

So she was responsible or sent Brendan Maynard's straight to tribunal? Whether you agree or not, I personally don't even think he should have been reported let alone sent straight to tribunal for 3 weeks?! Whats next? Get rid of tackles? Get rid of smothering?

Shes already stamping out all contact, it is going towards turning into touch footy. The MRO is already a absolute mess, no one knows what anyone is allowed to do anymore.

This is a not a good start.

I was defending Kane earlier in this thread, she made some excellent points regarding the goal line reviews and am hopeful we'll see a considerable improvement in the future in that department.

As for the Maynard incident... I agree, it's quite concerning they've sent this to the tribunal. Just trying to save face again.

Not sure she could have done anything else. I don't think he should get any suspension and that it's the nature of the game that there are times where people will get injured as a result of a footy act. However, with the amount of litigation happening and that will happen in the future that accuses the AFL of failing in its duty of care relating to brain trauma, a match review officer who has a long history with Collingwood, and the fact that a player suffered a potentially career ending head knock, this one had to go through to the tribunal. It will be closely scrutinized and hopefully he will be free to play out the finals series but Kane had no choice but to send it through. It's not about saving face, it's about showing that the issue is being taken seriously to make sure the game doesn't get bankrupted by future litigation.

So she was responsible or sent Brendan Maynard's straight to tribunal? Whether you agree or not, I personally don't even think he should have been reported let alone sent straight to tribunal for 3 weeks?! Whats next? Get rid of tackles? Get rid of smothering?

Shes already stamping out all contact, it is going towards turning into touch footy. The MRO is already a absolute mess, no one knows what anyone is allowed to do anymore.

This is a not a good start.

Piffle

(Log in to remove this ad.)

extraordinary intervention in what is supposed to be an independent process.
This is literally how the system works:

Following review of each report or referral, the MRO in conjunction with the AFL Executive General Manager Football Operations will determine whether the Player is to be charged with a Reportable Offence and, if so, the appropriate type of Reportable Offence.

literally hundreds of examples of blokes being suspended in finals, so no idea where you have created that narrative from?

There was a high flying attempt for a mark at the Gabba on Saturday night, dropped the mark, knee to the back of opponents head. I dare say if that guy under the attempt was Brayshaw, he would have been out cold. Are we going to really suspend blokes for incidental contact in genuine footy acts, especially when the person injured is someone that needs only a slight knock to suffer injury.?

She has royally screwed up her first major call in the job. Intervening to send Maynard to the tribunal smacks of a knee jerk exec type with no real understanding of the game.
Or sending this to the tribunal and letting them decide based on the evidence provided was absolutely the correct way to go about.

Or sending this to the tribunal and letting them decide based on the evidence provided was absolutely the correct way to go about.
Nope. It was a huge waste of time. Everybody with half a brain could see from the vision that it was not a suspendable offence.
She caved to the baying crowds of media and supporter nuffies and circumvented the established process to appease them.

I think its great having more females at exec level in the AFL. Just prefer more experienced/higher credentialed individuals. I don't really rate a 5 year stint at north moving across different roles.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back