Laura Kane - New AFL Exec General Manager of Football

Remove this Banner Ad

Stupid women bringing integrity to AFL...
Firstly Peggy stopping Richmond from continually destroying itself, now Laura intervening when the boys club were about to do their "everyone gets off in finals" thang..
It's been "5 minutes" and I dare say the woke card will come out to play very soon. Can the AFL handle that sh1tshow?

Debacle of a start for her.

Not really …

• Media - very happy about the circus that this became ✅
  • Insurance companies - satisfied that due process was properly followed ✅
  • Collingwood Fans - all’s well that ends well - happy ✅
  • Melbourne Fans - were never going to be happy with Brayshaw out ❌
  • Neutral Fans - engaged ✅

Not really …

With the shambles that is the MRO (Weeks on Monday, free to play the next day) you gotta wonder if half the time it's just to give the media a couple of days of filler.

Nope. It was a huge waste of time. Everybody with half a brain could see from the vision that it was not a suspendable offence.
She caved to the baying crowds of media and supporter nuffies and circumvented the established process to appease them.
Maynard drilled him with his shoulder. he just got away with it because suspending someone for a successful "smother" (ie touching the ball and preventing a mark downfield) is unworkable.

He probably should have been suspended imo because he meant to do it but I get why you can't suspend someone for that, especially in finals.

I thought she grew up as a Collingwood fan and from a Pies family before she came to North thru our involvement with womens footy and MUGARS

Given she’s only been in the job for 12 days, suspect South of the Yarra was just taking the piss 🤣

I thought she grew up as a Collingwood fan and from a Pies family before she came to North thru our involvement with womens footy and MUGARS

I was being a goose suggesting she had an agenda against for the entirety of her 12 days.

I don’t understand all the angst among my fellow Pies supporters.
I don’t pretend to know what other roles Laura does but on this occasion, she got it right.

Whilst I am happy Bruzz was found rightfully innocent, this case just had to go to the tribunal.
The MRO, could see it from a football action POV but in this environment the AFL must challenge because like it or not, someone getting knocked out cold, is a big deal.
In this situation, it was an unfortunate accident but it still needed to be played out.

There is no doubt Angus and Brayden would have had a horrible past week (for different reasons) and the process needs speeding up, so the media and the character of Maynard doesn’t get dragged through the mud.

Even though Maynard gets to play, from a personal standpoint, there were no winners.

It won’t happen again, I assure you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t understand all the angst among my fellow Pies supporters.
I don’t pretend to know what other roles Laura does but on this occasion, she got it right.

Whilst I am happy Bruzz was found rightfully innocent, this case just had to go to the tribunal.
The MRO, could see it from a football action POV but in this environment the AFL must challenge because like it or not, someone getting knocked out cold, is a big deal.
In this situation, it was an unfortunate accident but it still needed to be played out.

There is no doubt Angus and Brayden would have had a horrible past week (for different reasons) and the process needs speeding up, so the media and the character of Maynard doesn’t get dragged through the mud.

Even though Maynard gets to play, from a personal standpoint, there were no winners.

It won’t happen again, I assure you.
"Bruzz" - Peanuts on here really think they are mates with the players - it's so cringeworthy..

Name one other sport where you can recklessly jump into a player's head and knock him out without penalty. UFC, I think you can. Any others, Bruzz??,

Thousands of people who have dedicated their life to the game and they believe she is the person to be running football at the highest level.
Surely this type of role must be the role for an ex player or coach.
Just grabbing some suit from next door is unbelievable.

Can we get Steve Hocking back?

"Bruzz" - Peanuts on here really think they are mates with the players - it's so cringeworthy..

Name one other sport where you can recklessly jump into a player's head and knock him out without penalty. UFC, I think you can. Any others, Bruzz??,
So people refer to players like
Dusty
Buddy
Pendles
Sidey
Crippa
Trac

The list goes on, so I guess everybody in your eyes are cringeworthy.

Thousands of people who have dedicated their life to the game and they believe she is the person to be running football at the highest level.
Surely this type of role must be the role for an ex player or coach.
Just grabbing some suit from next door is unbelievable.

AFL promoting from within is all they ever do.

Its not unbelievable at all.

Not really …

No way known insurers are happy with that outcome. I would expect the rules to be altered over summer so that jumping to smother is treated the same way as bumping i.e. if you choose to do it, you are responsible for the outcome (including accidental head high contact).

If this incident was to repeat itself, and the person responsible wasn't suspended, how would the AFL convince insurers they are taking head knocks seriously?

No way known insurers are happy with that outcome.

Of course they are. If these sort of things didn’t occur from time to time there’d be no insurance industry.

Sometimes it’s about the least worst option, and simply accepting the MRO’s determination that Maynard had no case to answer would have been a worse outcome.

And Maynard getting weeks was never going to be an outcome. As Laura Kane said afterwards “We have no grounds to appeal”.

I would expect the rules to be altered over summer so that jumping to smother is treated the same way as bumping i.e. if you choose to do it, you are responsible for the outcome (including accidental head high contact).

It was quite clearly shown in the tribunal that Brayshaw deviated off his line. Look at it this way, if the same incident had instead caused Maynard to be concussed (which is entirely plausible) the AFL would have had a much stronger case to give Brayshaw 3+ weeks because he deviated off his line.

I can’t see how you could ever write the rules to make it ‘somebody else’s fault’ when a player deviates off their line into danger, whether it’s a smother, or a bump or anything else.

If this incident was to repeat itself, and the person responsible wasn't suspended, how would the AFL convince insurers they are taking head knocks seriously?

Why would this be any different to the McKay concussion incident? Sometimes s**t happens, and that’s why insurance is a thing.

Last edited:
Of course they are. If these sort of things didn’t occur from time to time there’d be no insurance industry.

Sometimes it’s about the least worst option, and simply accepting the MRO’s determination that Maynard had no case to answer would have been a worse outcome.

And Maynard getting weeks was never going to be an outcome. As Laura Kane said afterwards “We have no grounds to appeal”.

It was quite clearly shown in the tribunal that Brayshaw deviated off his line. Look at it this way, if the incident had instead caused Maynard to be concussed (which is entirely plausible) the AFL would have had a much stronger case to give Brayshaw 3+ weeks ** because he deviated off his line **.

I can’t see how you could ever write the rules to make it ‘somebody else’s fault’ when a player deviates off their line into danger, whether it’s a smother, or a bump or anything else.

Why would this be any different to the McKay concussion incident? Sometimes s**t happens, and that’s why insurance is a thing.
Rather than address all of these points separately, I'll try to sum it up succinctly from a legal perspective. It's about risk mitigation. Yes, there will always be a level of inherent risk playing football (at any level). The line of what is able to be mitigated is moving towards lowering risk all the time. I can't see any way that an insurer/lawyer is looking at that and then going to the AFL and saying "ok, your internal processes said it's ok, so you're fine". Maynard turned himself into a flying missile that had the potential to cause serious injury. To not do anything to try and stop that happening in the future would be negligent on the AFL's behalf (particularly given they have been very vocal about protecting the head).

A hip and shoulder bump is a "football action". The AFL changed the rules to put the onus on the player who conducts that action, whereby they are responsible for the outcome. This is absolutely no different.

As for this absolute horses*** about Brayshaw moving off his line, it wasn't actually a reason for him getting off. While Gleeson's statement makes reference to where Brayshaw ended up after kicking the ball "After kicking the ball with his right foot, Brayshaw lands on that right foot. He lands or moves in such a way that his body moves to the right or directly into the path of Maynard" there is no suggestion that this was unreasonable/unexpected/a deviation. Collingwood used it as a defence, but it wasn't part of the finding.

So people refer to players like
Dusty
Buddy
Pendles
Sidey
Crippa
Trac

The list goes on, so I guess everybody in your eyes are cringeworthy.
Yep - all cringeworthy. Most of the people using nicknames think they are part of the team and mates with the players because they watch them on tv. They are the same people who join the cheer squad. Just so embarrassing for them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back