Laura Kane - New AFL Exec General Manager of Football

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep - all cringeworthy. Most of the people using nicknames think they are part of the team and mates with the players because they watch them on tv. They are the same people who join the cheer squad. Just so embarrassing for them.
Pretty sad life you must live.
I have met many players and played golf with plenty of current and ex players, as well as other sporting personalities during sponsor days and all would rather be called by their nickname.
If I was to call Dipper "Robert", he would think he had done something wrong.

Yep - all cringeworthy. Most of the people using nicknames think they are part of the team and mates with the players because they watch them on tv. They are the same people who join the cheer squad. Just so embarrassing for them.
What an odd take on things.

Thousands of people who have dedicated their life to the game and they believe she is the person to be running football at the highest level.
Surely this type of role must be the role for an ex player or coach.
Just grabbing some suit from next door is unbelievable.
This is based on your detailed knowledge of the job description, I imagine?

As for this absolute horses*** about Brayshaw moving off his line, it wasn't actually a reason for him getting off. While Gleeson's statement makes reference to where Brayshaw ended up after kicking the ball "After kicking the ball with his right foot, Brayshaw lands on that right foot. He lands or moves in such a way that his body moves to the right or directly into the path of Maynard" there is no suggestion that this was unreasonable/unexpected/a deviation. Collingwood used it as a defence, but it wasn't part of the finding.

It wasn’t part of the finding because it wasn’t Brayshaw who was up in front of the tribunal. The tribunal wasn’t asking “who was to blame?” It was asking “Was Maynard to blame?” and the answer was a resounding “No” with Laura Kane confirming “There are no grounds for appeal”.

If it had instead been Maynard who’d been knocked out cold in the same incident and Brayshaw was up in front of the tribunal for Careless/High/Severe then “[Brayshaw] lands or moves in such a way that his body moves to the right or directly into the path of Maynard” would have been explored in a bit more depth.

Maynard turned himself into a flying missile that had the potential to cause serious injury.

It was closing speed. This is going to happen in any incident when two players are coming at the contest from a long way back in opposite directions, and both players had fair play on the ball.

Of course it’s unreasonable to suggest that this whole incident could have been avoided by Brayshaw had he kicked it earlier, or sold Maynard some candy and run around him while he was airborne.

It’s similarly unreasonable to suggest that this whole incident could have been avoided by Maynard if he’d not attempted to smother the ball.

FWIW, I think MFC have played this well. They’ve energised their base to get them engaged and to turn up tonight. I’ll be cheering for them to beat Carlton ;)

Pretty sad life you must live.
I have met many players and played golf with plenty of current and ex players, as well as other sporting personalities during sponsor days and all would rather be called by their nickname.
If I was to call Dipper "Robert", he would think he had done something wrong.
Haha - I used to serve him at a butcher's shop years ago, the number of peanuts that used to come up to him and think they were his friends because they saw him on TV was hilarous. He was always very polite, but I could see the frustration he had when he was just trying to do his shopping. You must have been one of them.

Haha - I used to serve him at a butcher's shop years ago, the number of peanuts that used to come up to him and think they were his friends because they saw him on TV was hilarous. He was always very polite, but I could see the frustration he had when he was just trying to do his shopping. You must have been one of them.
Actually shared a golf cart with him for the day, then had a big night sharing a table with him at the sportsmans dinner afterwards.

If you really got to know the man, he would tell you "Dipper" is a brand, not just a name.
But you weighed his sausages, so I guess you would know.

Actually shared a golf cart with him for the day, then had a big night sharing a table with him at the sportsmans dinner afterwards.

If you really got to know the man, he would tell you "Dipper" is a brand, not just a name.
But you weighed his sausages, so I guess you would know.
Hahaha, you're the coolest!

Run along now little man.
I know you must hate life because of your second straight sets exit in a row but it will be ok
We only have to wait a few more months, until your rabble of a club makes the footy world laugh again.
Tell me again about the time you shared a golf cart with Dipper - That story is amazing!!!

Thousands of people who have dedicated their life to the game and they believe she is the person to be running football at the highest level.
Surely this type of role must be the role for an ex player or coach.
She played and coached at Melbourne University for 10+ years, as well as being on the Club's committee.

Let me know his favorite cut of meat, so we have something to chat about.
I don't pretend to know him, I just laugh at the nuffies that think they are mates with him.

Who drove the cart, this is really important information. Your friends must be enthralled with your re-telling of this amazing story.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back