Review Geelong defeats Saints by 8 points

Remove this Banner Ad

The forwards cant find space as there is none but what they can do is repeat lead higher up the field to create short kick chains and try and draw the defenders out. Cameron did this and also miers but the others largely didnt. And with the high balls they can compete in the air outnumbered to try and bring it to ground. Henry in particular needs to be doing this. It was largelt on the mids as the high balls in were too slow and loopy but the fwds need to do more to work through it. Otherwise teams (that are fit enough as you can only play the flood style if you are very fit as it requires high endurance) will play the flood against us more and more this year.

Scoring against Ross Lyon-coached teams in this manner is very difficult as there'll always be 2-3 defenders waiting at ground level to kill the footy and force a stoppage. I think we needed lower, flatter entries and more quick leads from Hawkins and O Henry. As another poster alluded to, I'd like to see Henry model his game off Jez more in that regard.

Umpire stopped play instead so he can put his shoe back on! Never seen that before.

A year or two back there was a free kick paid against Charlie Cameron(?) for doing similar, so complaints are why wasn't it a free against Miers

The umpire would have been deciding if it was Miers clearing a potential danger from the area or if Miers was being a dick & it was more of a misconduct situation which would warrant a free kick

Being that the shoe was dropped just behind the contest, Miers was given the benefit of clearing a potential hazard. And since play was already stopped, they allowed Marshall to put his shoe on

May be interesting to if there's a misconduct charge & fine for Miers in the MRO findings

Tom Stewart must be the quickest defender in the AFL. That first few meters of acceleration is unbelievable, and as as he gets closer to an opposition player with the ball, he actually gets faster. He reminds me of a heat seeking missile. He makes decisions so quickly, and once he decides, he just goes for it. There is no hesitation in him at all.

I get the feeling that most players don't realise how fast he is for a bigger defender and he just catches them faster than they can sidestep. And then his love of physicality/willingness to smash, means that he really puts them down.

Fun night at the new look ground, some bright points for us, especially Shaun getting a run and a few touches. We christened Dempsey The Ghost- apart from popping up for goals, looking down the ground he was free so many times without receiving. Seems to have a great knack of finding space.

To rain on the parade, if GFC are going to cater for a crowd of 40k going forward, they need to employ more gate staff. The queues were absolutely horrendous at every entrance. Lots of oldies in the heat of the moment saying never coming again.

Same as the team, improvement needed.
Made that same observation in terms of space. A bit of games sense but a lot of hard running I think.

He spent a lot of the last qtr on “wrong wing” so looked like “faded” a bit in terms of possessions. But if needed he was an option a lot of time on that wing. I suspect we see him play both positions as needed

Honestly, I'd be giving him a few - he's earned it. With that said, if he plays like tonight a few weeks in a row, it'll be impossible not to rest him. Was almost a liability tonight.
Hawkins seemed to be limping, right leg IIRC + appeared stiff.
May need some time to recover, but I reckon he’d play with two broken legs 😉
He’s an enormous influence, was encouraging his forwards enthusiastically + praised goal kickers proudly. They all adore him.

Made that same observation in terms of space. A bit of games sense but a lot of hard running I think.

He spent a lot of the last qtr on “wrong wing” so looked like “faded” a bit in terms of possessions. But if needed he was an option a lot of time on that wing. I suspect we see him play both positions as needed

Such a good reader. Has the ability/awareness to come from behind opp player at the last second and dart in front to mark.
And that, BT, is a basketball skill.

Good game - enjoyed it. Cats better in the first half and an even second half.
Loved sitting in the new stadium - beaut view. Comfortable seats. Crowd were up and about - for both teams- Geelong crowd very vocal last night. Is that just the extra numbers in there?
Club probs has to lift its game re getting in and out of it- log jams at both ends- inexplicable for a stadium which is now 40,000.
Hard game coming up-Comon cats.

Last edited:
You really don't like him do you?

Kid in his second game after 8 months out showed plenty IMO, and should play again next week.

He showed good signs and has progressed a lot from his VFL performances last year. But he was only given 59% TOG and 31% DE. Whether you’re a fan of his or not, he’s the obvious one to come out if Bowes comes in.

Though, I can see us pumping games into him regardless of form, which I wouldn’t be disappointed with.

Have done for years re accessible car park - crickets. Ess game no wheelchair spaces-crickets. Ess game- no entry- crickets.
So I'm telling BF, the AFL and KRock. Next stop discrimination board.
Your experience at KP, since J’s operation, is horrendous! Who controls the car park area, where disabled parking places are? Those non-disabled using disabled parking places should be fined.

No wheelchair seating? Isn’t that illegal?

Took the Duchess to Swans -v- Cats at Olympic Stadium in Sydney. We were given an allocated parking spot next to the lift. We were met at the parking spot by a guy with a wheelchair, who took us to our seats. At half time female staff member took Mum to the loo. After the game the same, assistance to return to the car. All at no cost. No waiting in queues.

But you have had to put up with this crap for years! Go to Anti Discrimination Board!

Agree with this. Freo also had a very good record at KP under Lyon, including the 2013 QF win, at least one other H&A win, and the Mundy after the siren miss.e chocolates there
100% on the money - Lyon has a strong game plan for GMHBA and he's been more successful than most at getting the chocolates there. They got a lot of scores on the rebound out the back so I'm sure we will tighten that , game 1 afterall.
Considering the amount of young guys we played and the manner in which we held on we'd be pleased I reckon:)

Liked the look of the midfield , Steven King will make a real difference there.
Defence looks solid with all players available and our forward entries should improve , particularly if we lower the eyes and forwards lead into space.

Finally, we look to be assembling a wing/midfield group that can play the high endurance/fast pace game style that's in vogue at the moment - Danger/Bruhn/Atkins/Miers/Close/Dempsey/Clark/Bowes/Knevitt/Blitz/Willis/Stevens/Mannagh/Holmes.
Exciting times ahead :thumbsu:

Your experience at KP, since J’s operation, is horrendous! Who controls the car park area, where disabled parking places are? Those non-disabled using disabled parking places should be fined.

No wheelchair seating? Isn’t that illegal?

Took the Duchess to Swans -v- Cats at Olympic Stadium in Sydney. We were given an allocated parking spot next to the lift. We were met at the parking spot by a guy with a wheelchair, who took us to our seats. At half time female staff member took Mum to the loo. After the game the same, assistance to return to the car. All at no cost. No waiting in queues.

But you have had to put up with this crap for years! Go to Anti Discrimination Board!

It's a long story Kitty, with mismanagement mainly small parking area with able bodies using it (no permits) and gates left closed so have to maneuver rocky ground. They have improved it this year though. Essendon game only 6 chair seats, unable to book as usual, I think the attendance took them by surprise. No excuse and sick of it.
To keep it on track, Ticketmaster took 3 weeks to get back to me for accessibility re this game. Too late, the person with a disability stayed home, unable to see Shaun's first game. Fab for your Mum, as it should be, those were the days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawkins seemed to be limping, right leg IIRC + appeared stiff.
May need some time to recover, but I reckon he’d play with two broken legs 😉
He’s an enormous influence, was encouraging his forwards enthusiastically + praised goal kickers proudly. They all adore him.
Excellent leader
Those 2 goals early in the GF out of the ruck really settled the side.

My initial thoughts from tonight.

Forwards continue to play from behind and don't compete when the ball is in the air. To many uncontested intercept marks to the Saints. Neale is a must inclusion going forward because he will at the very least provide a contest and give opportunities to our smalls to get to work.

Got caught out a few times in transition which opened up our backline which looked pedestrian at times. The development of a quick small defender should be a priority.

Dempsey is a future star and should stay in the side from this moment on. Bruhn lacks a little polish but makes up for it with grunt and workrate.

Sdk not the same player as 2022 where he would dominate in the air.
Agree on the inability to compete in the air down forward. Not sure I am sold on Neale as the answer, though I agree he needs to be tried. The missing piece for me is Rohan. He has the pace and desire to make those contests and he hits the contest hard.

Last edited:
Must be in with a very strong chance to get the nom this round.
Would be the pick of the bunch thus far unless someone from the Port/WCE or Freo/Brisbane match has a blinder. Reid's playing his first game as we speak.

He showed good signs and has progressed a lot from his VFL performances last year. But he was only given 59% TOG and 31% DE. Whether you’re a fan of his or not, he’s the obvious one to come out if Bowes comes in.

Though, I can see us pumping games into him regardless of form, which I wouldn’t be disappointed with.
This is my take on Jhye Clark's game last night. Was slightly out of his depth, but that's ok because it was his first full game of footy at the level.

Tom Stewart must be the quickest defender in the AFL. That first few meters of acceleration is unbelievable, and as as he gets closer to an opposition player with the ball, he actually gets faster. He reminds me of a heat seeking missile. He makes decisions so quickly, and once he decides, he just goes for it. There is no hesitation in him at all.

I get the feeling that most players don't realise how fast he is for a bigger defender and he just catches them faster than they can sidestep. And then his love of physicality/willingness to smash, means that he really puts them down.

#44 was a human cannonball last night. Absolutely brilliant to watch. Every chance he has a sixth AA jacket by the end of the year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back