Prediction Geelong will bottom out some time between 2015-2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Reports of 'max exodus' of senior players at end of year may suggest we see the bottom next year. The age demographic of our list aren't going to get any better too quickly otherwise. Our 'upwards progress' all depends on the progress of our youngsters (obviously).

Also, whilst I'm wary of saying this (because I rate the blokes too), we're also paying a price for keeping a number of injury-prone players on our list. Yes, they may be quality - and they do fit the right 'age bracket' but the fact is they've been off the park for too long. The club has been very patient & supportive, but it must be recognised that it is partly to blame for where we're currently placed.

In all honesty, however, what has hurt us worse is the number of delistees from last year who 'didn't make it' (Burbury, Sheringham, Stringer, etc.) In an ideal world, there should've been a steady stream of 'seniors' retire at the end of last year, with those aforementioned guys filling their roles.

2-3 years

it wont be until the majority of oldies are gone

I don't think the club will push them all out in one go since we have too many other types of list cloggers

Reports of 'max exodus' of senior players at end of year may suggest we see the bottom next year. The age demographic of our list aren't going to get any better too quickly otherwise. Our 'upwards progress' all depends on the progress of our youngsters (obviously).

Also, whilst I'm wary of saying this (because I rate the blokes too), we're also paying a price for keeping a number of injury-prone players on our list. Yes, they may be quality - and they do fit the right 'age bracket' but the fact is they've been off the park for too long. The club has been very patient & supportive, but it must be recognised that it is partly to blame for where we're currently placed.

In all honesty, however, what has hurt us worse is the number of delistees from last year who 'didn't make it' (Burbury, Sheringham, Stringer, etc.) In an ideal world, there should've been a steady stream of 'seniors' retire at the end of last year, with those aforementioned guys filling their roles.
Where are the reports of mass exodus? Most senior players have said they want to keep playing next year and obviously they can't all continue. I think you're right some of those LTI players will go at the end of the year hopefully we get some luck and one or two can make a good career.

I don't see us bottoming out I.e finishing bottom 5 but that could happen by losing a couple more games than we should. But I think we struggle this year and next year will depend on recruitments and retirements that will see us improve or not.
Hopefully 2017 we could be competing for top 4 again we should have a number of players in the peak of their careers. And youngsters have developed and matured but will Selwood, Hawkins, Clark and Taylor still be elite players? I guess that's why the cats want to recruit to compete next year it's going to leave a massive hole when those guys retire.
Selwood is a once in a generation leader and player and what he contributes to the club is huge we've lost champions every year recently. But as an overall package I don't think any come close to Selwood.

Looking at our list it's hard to see us getting worse in the near future than we are right now. Our over 30s haven't exactly contributed a stack so far this year. I'd think from here the improvement in our under 25s should outweigh the drop off in our over 30s. And that's without considering the possibilities of trades or free agents.

Looking at our list it's hard to see us getting worse in the near future than we are right now. Our over 30s haven't exactly contributed a stack so far this year. I'd think from here the improvement in our under 25s should outweigh the drop off in our over 30s. And that's without considering the possibilities of trades or free agents.

It could go either way. It's not difficult to see more of the veterans crashing (Enright and Stokes looked very ordinary last week), and the young guys could easily run out of puff as the season wears on. No way to know for sure.

It could go either way. It's not difficult to see more of the veterans crashing (Enright and Stokes looked very ordinary last week), and the young guys could easily run out of puff as the season wears on. No way to know for sure.

Sorry I'm not so much talking about this season I mean in terms of upcoming seasons. For mine we've shown enough with the veterans contributing little this season to suggest that replacing them shouldn't be a major problem from here, particularly as our young players gain more experience. Key defence is the only real question mark to me and it looks like we're planning on going the trade/free agency route to fix that problem.

I think we've seen this year that we have a good core of young blokes coming up. I think where we really lack is in the midfield at the moment, and retirements of the likes of Bartel, Kelly, Stokes, StevieJ in the coming years won't help that. Duncan has shown he can be an A grade midfielder so that's encouraging. Nakia is realistically 2-3 years away from being a star, but will have some cameo's. Blicavs looks like he might turn into an elite midfielder too (I betchya a few people around here are suddenly distancing themselves from their previous negativity toward him now - LMAO).

So I don't think it's all that grim at the moment, it's amazing what some smart drafting and trading can do to turn things around.

Imagine if we snared Dangerfield next season, that's a game changer for us right there. We still have Jensen & Kolo to step up to AFL level.

We were competitive against Sydney last week (without Kelly & Bartel) until we lost Duncan, and our midfield weakness was exposed. So I don't understand the doom and gloom. Sure, we're going to lose a few this season that we may well have won in the last few years. But I'm excited again to see the club evolving. It's like we're back in that 2002-2006 period again. Remember back then how all the critics said we had no stars in the team, and our young blokes looked suspect. We're doing OK.

Let me put it another way - would you rather be supporting Geelong or Carlton at the moment?

Last edited:
Stokes was our best and Enright was among our best.

We'll have to disagree.

I thought Stokes tried his guts out. I also thought his disposal was poor and he looked very slow. Sydney realised it and buried him a few times (and it looked like they were telling him exactly that too). Enright's the same - trying as hard as ever. But the body isn't quite as capable now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We'll have to disagree.

I thought Stokes tried his guts out. I also thought his disposal was poor and he looked very slow. Sydney realised it and buried him a few times (and it looked like they were telling him exactly that too). Enright's the same - trying as hard as ever. But the body isn't quite as capable now.

Certainly Stokes made a couple of uncharacteristic disposal errors. But it's been noteworthy the last few times we've played good sides, especially Hawthorn, that they've made a concerted effort to target him because of his importance. And I don't think it's even controversial to say that he was our best, I think it was just obvious. Enright may be slower, but he played well again and has had another good consistent season.
Anyway, agree to disagree.

On the broader topic, the problem when our better players retire over the next 2 or 3 years - and thereafter - isn't going to be the age demographic, it's going to be the talent demographic. I don't know whether or not we'll ever bottom out, but I've seen nothing from the present list to suggest that once we do reach our lowest point we'll be good enough to then get back and become anywhere near a top side again.

On the broader topic, the problem when our better players retire over the next 2 or 3 years - and thereafter - isn't going to be the age demographic, it's going to be the talent demographic. I don't know whether or not we'll ever bottom out, but I've seen nothing from the present list to suggest that once we do reach our lowest point we'll be good enough to then get back and become anywhere near a top side again.
I agree with that our future right now is more in the hands of the administrators than the current list.The decisions they make over the next couple of year and who they can attract to the club will control our destiny.

Sorry I'm not so much talking about this season I mean in terms of upcoming seasons. For mine we've shown enough with the veterans contributing little this season to suggest that replacing them shouldn't be a major problem from here, particularly as our young players gain more experience. Key defence is the only real question mark to me and it looks like we're planning on going the trade/free agency route to fix that problem.

even if the vets don't contribute much they are still depth, when they are gone then the depth will be non existent

best 22 might be better but it'll fall away quick

Our over 30s haven't exactly contributed a stack so far this year.

Lonergan, Rivers, SJ, Enright, Stokes and Kelly haven't "contributed a stack" this year, heck I'd hate to think where we'd be sitting right now without them.

Looking at our list it's hard to see us getting worse in the near future than we are right now. I'd think from here the improvement in our under 25s should outweigh the drop off in our over 30s. And that's without considering the possibilities of trades or free agents.

Trouble with that is most of these kids, Bews, Gregson, Lang, Thurlow, Caddy, Guthrie etc. are already more or less regular players, in two years time they'll be the back bone of the side rather then the supporting cast, and we'll have to find another group to replace Bartel, Enright, Stokes, Lonergan, Kelly, SJ, Rivers and Mackie, (Taylor will be thirty one by then as well) going to take a hell of a lot of wheeler dealing at the trade table to fill those spots.

Bottoming out isn't as bad as it may seem, as it's clear we're no top 4/premiership chance. I don't condone tanking, but if the young guys run out of steam late in the year and we miss the 8, it's not all doom and gloom. I don't think trying to remain a premiership contender while rebuilding the list is viable in this age of equalisation. The mediocre teams who have finished the previous years mid table like Richmond and Essendon seem to be at a stand still while the Saints and Bulldogs look much more promising. We need to get as many young talented players into the club as we can, and consistently finishing around the 10th-6th mark won't do us any favours.

But these are the years that Scott said we would be contesting for the flag??? I'm confused. Surely if we are bottoming out then he has utterly failed in his long term plan for the club and must go.

I would suggest without the massive injuries to particularly the 2009 draftees we WOULD be smack bang in the middle of a Premiership period.

possibly. So we are blaming injuries for all our woes then? Not against that idea but we need to acknowledge it if so.
We might blame injuries but I can't see Scott or the board blaming them for our woes.

Imagine how delicious the Cats would be if we had Menzel, Vardy and Cowan all on 80-100 games, HMac playing in 2013-2015 fully fit, even Kersten and McCarthy on 40-50 games each....

When, where and what did he say about this exactly?

It was written in the 2011 premiership book. He told the board that he thought we had the list to challenge in 2011 and then in 2015. Lines about developing for 2015 as well as 2011 were thrown around by Cook in press conferences. So, four and a half years ago.

It was written in the 2011 premiership book. He told the board that he thought we had the list to challenge in 2011 and then in 2015. Lines about developing for 2015 as well as 2011 were thrown around by Cook in press conferences. So, four and a half years ago.

Didn't know about the premiership book, thanks.
The Cook comments about 2015 in the Scott Appointment presser weren't about a premiership in 2015, they were saying that the appointment was about 2015 as much as 2011, and handling the transition.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back