General MFC discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody see Trengove's leg on instagram?

atrophy from non-conditioning is amazing and (IMO) worrying.

http://instagram.com/p/wnpfA_je_j/
I wouldn't be worried about it at all, I had the exact same thing after my knee Reco a few years back where I only had plaster on for 10-12 days nd it looked like I had 1 school girl leg.. builds back up fairly quickly

How do you feel about Michael Long's effort in the 2000 GF? And the Daniel Bell/Ben Johnson incident mentioned above? Matthew Lloyd/Brad Sewell rates a mention too. Maybe Kevin Sheedy was behind it all - if so, add him to the list of Essendon campaigners. Now we have Hirdy of course...
Also, Lloyd's hit on Sewell is the greatest piece of captaincy seen for many a year. Find me another example of a captain single handedly lifting his side into the finals ;)

Just never seen it before to that extent. I've never broken a leg or arm and had it happen to me. But as you said, it's promising; especially to show how little fat he has in his legs.

I've had a knee reco and it's quite surprising how much the muscle wither away - but it's equally as surprising how quickly it returns.

It's not a problem.

Also, Lloyd's hit on Sewell is the greatest piece of captaincy seen for many a year. Find me another example of a captain single handedly lifting his side into the finals ;)
Sorry, no way I can agree with you here. That's not leadership. It's certainly not 'captaincy'.

I wouldn't be worried about it at all, I had the exact same thing after my knee Reco a few years back where I only had plaster on for 10-12 days nd it looked like I had 1 school girl leg.. builds back up fairly quickly
Yep. I had exactly the same experience when I had mine done. Takes you 23 years to build muscle up and a week to lose it

Everyones gone soft, in 2004 that would have been hailed as the defining moment of the season , i know i loved it at the time

Footy is comparetively boring without moments like that

Everyones gone soft, in 2004 that would have been hailed as the defining moment of the season , i know i loved it at the time

Footy is comparetively boring without moments like that
Game ******* exploded. I was in standing room and none of us could actually tell what happened until a few minutes later.

Not as insane as the line in the sand game (that was something else entirely) but it was insane.

I still laugh at the coward Campbell Brown. "We'll get you next time Lloydy". You had half a ******* game Campbell and didn't go anywhere near him.

So the deed is measured by the outcome rather than the deed itself? Not sure Michael Long's effort in the 2000 GF is any different to the Lloyd/Sewell incident. Both took opposition players out of the game in order to win. Anyone who can say that was fair play goes down in my estimation. And no, I don't think Long is a "fantastic bloke". He has his vested interest in his own community, but that doesn't equate to fantastic allround bloke to me. He has never apologised for what he did to Troy Simmonds. He's a thug. He's smug, self-important and humourless - loves being told what a great leader he is. Ego personified. At least Lloyd expressed remorse about Sewell.

So the deed is measured by the outcome rather than the deed itself? Not sure Michael Long's effort in the 2000 GF is any different to the Lloyd/Sewell incident. Both took opposition players out of the game in order to win. Anyone who can say that was fair play goes down in my estimation. And no, I don't think Long is a "fantastic bloke". He has his vested interest in his own community, but that doesn't equate to fantastic allround bloke to me. He has never apologised for what he did to Troy Simmonds. He's a thug. He's smug, self-important and humourless - loves being told what a great leader he is. Ego personified. At least Lloyd expressed remorse about Sewell.
Okey m8

Thats what footy used to be though, there used to be genuine courage putting your head over the footy and sometimes teams could get distracted with the rough stuff which made it a better all around spectacle, no one wants to see players almost never walk again but a great hip and shoulder was one of the best things about the sport and I certainly wish there were more still

Game ******* exploded. I was in standing room and none of us could actually tell what happened until a few minutes later.

Not as insane as the line in the sand game (that was something else entirely) but it was insane.

I still laugh at the coward Campbell Brown. "We'll get you next time Lloydy". You had half a ******* game Campbell and didn't go anywhere near him.

s**t mate I was having a beer and when it happened I almost had to cover up with a pillow because you just knew it was going to be a bloody good game of footy after that and it certainly delivered
Lloyd single handedly ruined the focus of the hawks boys and it should go down as one of the greatest moments by a captain in history and I mean that

Thats what footy used to be though, there used to be genuine courage putting your head over the footy and sometimes teams could get distracted with the rough stuff which made it a better all around spectacle, no one wants to see players almost never walk again but a great hip and shoulder was one of the best things about the sport and I certainly wish there were more still
That's the thing though, Nick, it wasn't courageous or a great hip and shoulder, what Michael Long did. It was total ambush. No way Troy Simmonds could have prepared for that. I know what you are talking about - and I agree to a point - it's a tough game and should be, but anyone who can support what Long did is most likely a psychopath. There have to be limits. Simmonds could have easily suffered permanent injury from what happened. Long is a dog.

That's the thing though, Nick, it wasn't courageous or a great hip and shoulder, what Michael Long did. It was total ambush. No way Troy Simmonds could have prepared for that. I know what you are talking about - and I agree to a point - it's a tough game and should be, but anyone who can support what Long did is most likely a psychopath. There have to be limits. Simmonds could have easily suffered permanent injury from what happened. Long is a dog.
Longy's hit wasn't okay at all. No disputing that.

However, I'd think twice about judging the courage of someone like Michael Long off one incident. Being one of the first players to stand up against racial abuse after decades of acceptance, that takes courage.

However, I'd think twice about judging the courage of someone like Michael Long off one incident. Being one of the first players to stand up against racial abuse after decades of acceptance, that takes courage.
Nicky Winmar says hi. Long's hit was absolutely disgraceful - not just "not ok". He showed a reckless disregard for another human being, and he stole away his chance to compete in a Grand Final. I'm not so quick to overlook that. A lot of people get judged off single incidents. I'll never like Long unless he makes a public apology about what he did. I don't think he gives a crap. He's been interviewed about his career before - doesn't seem to care about what he did. How can Long even talk about the 2000GF without mentioning what he did? Can you imagine the outcry if Troy Simmonds had poleaxed Long and taken him out of the grand final? How would the world view him for that? There's just something about Long that doesn't sit right with me. That gruff self-importance is a trait I don't like in any person.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's no disputing Long's courage and achievement in progressing indigenous matters. I've the utmost respect for that.

But you can't excuse a dog act like the 2000GF just because he did other things well. Have another look at the video. Not only does he come in with clear intentions for the man and not the ball, but he then has the gall to verbal and confront the umpire like he's the innocent one. Really?

I agree and those hits where the player is completely vulnerable are best gone for the game
Anything that involved the neck an a player completely unawareness was never tough

The Lloyd hit on Sewell IMO was a great hit though because Sewell was stood up right and Lloyd made impact roughly the moment Sewell gathered and it was a game changing moment

So I've gone back to the video on this one too. Clearly I'm ready for holidays and trying to avoid any actual work.

I don't get how you can call that "captaincy"? I really don't.

Is Lloyd's thinking that he needs to do something provocative to lift his team? In which case the hit on Sewell is premeditated, calculated, and a true dog act.

Or was Lloyd's action just in the spur of the moment? In which case it's not captaincy, but just a cheap shot.

Now, I'm not trying to remove physicality from the game. I actually think Lloyds hit wasn't too far away from a decent shirt front and that he may have been unlucky to have collected Sewell's jaw (which is what knocked him clear out) rather than his shoulder. Of course the four game suspension (reduced from 6 as uncontested) suggests otherwise.

I just don't see how you could claim that act was anything remotely like "captaincy".

There's no disputing Long's courage and achievement in progressing indigenous matters. I've the utmost respect for that.

But you can't excuse a dog act like the 2000GF just because he did other things well. Have another look at the video. Not only does he come in with clear intentions for the man and not the ball, but he then has the gall to verbal and confront the umpire like he's the innocent one. Really?
Wasn't making any effort to excuse it at all. Was poor.

So I've gone back to the video on this one too. Clearly I'm ready for holidays and trying to avoid any actual work.

I don't get how you can call that "captaincy"? I really don't.

Is Lloyd's thinking that he needs to do something provocative to lift his team? In which case the hit on Sewell is premeditated, calculated, and a true dog act.

Or was Lloyd's action just in the spur of the moment? In which case it's not captaincy, but just a cheap shot.

Now, I'm not trying to remove physicality from the game. I actually think Lloyds hit wasn't too far away from a decent shirt front and that he may have been unlucky to have collected Sewell's jaw (which is what knocked him clear out) rather than his shoulder. Of course the four game suspension (reduced from 6 as uncontested) suggests otherwise.

I just don't see how you could claim that act was anything remotely like "captaincy".

Because it's closer to an era of hard hits than one of touch footy

Nicky Winmar says hi. Long's hit was absolutely disgraceful - not just "not ok". He showed a reckless disregard for another human being, and he stole away his chance to compete in a Grand Final. I'm not so quick to overlook that. A lot of people get judged off single incidents. I'll never like Long unless he makes a public apology about what he did. I don't think he gives a crap. He's been interviewed about his career before - doesn't seem to care about what he did. How can Long even talk about the 2000GF without mentioning what he did? Can you imagine the outcry if Troy Simmonds had poleaxed Long and taken him out of the grand final? How would the world view him for that? There's just something about Long that doesn't sit right with me. That gruff self-importance is a trait I don't like in any person.
You seem to think I'm trying to defend the hit on Simmonds. I assure you I am not.

I liked Lloyds hit on Sewell. If we were down in a final and getting physicalled by the opposition, and Hogan came out flattened one of their tough mids like that, we'd all be quite happy I'm certain. It was inspirational in my opinion.

Longs was more akin to kicking a bloke while he's down. Michael Long lost a lot of admirers that day. It was a dogs act in my opinion.

i actually had the privilege of meeting michael long last year as part of a school trip to dream time at the G. i took it as a free footy match hence why i went. Anyway our group got to meet michael in a room here he did he brief presentation, and got to have photos taken with him.

Anyway to make a long story short, i had a chat to him where i told him i was a dees supporter and as i kid i remember watching the 2000 grand final, he had a good laugh about it like a joke 'sorry mate' sort of thing that i took in jest. Anyways i asked him about that incident and he went dead quiet, his facial expression didn't change though because he always seems to look a little grumpy. Anyway after a while trying to find some words he decided to talk to my other fellow classmates.

i actually had the privilege of meeting michael long last year as part of a school trip to dream time at the G. i took it as a free footy match hence why i went. Anyway our group got to meet michael in a room here he did he brief presentation, and got to have photos taken with him.

Anyway to make a long story short, i had a chat to him where i told him i was a dees supporter and as i kid i remember watching the 2000 grand final, he had a good laugh about it like a joke 'sorry mate' sort of thing that i took in jest. Anyways i asked him about that incident and he went dead quiet, his facial expression didn't change though because he always seems to look a little grumpy. Anyway after a while trying to find some words he decided to talk to my other fellow classmates.

You should have punched him in the nuts.

Anyways i asked him about that incident and he went dead quiet, his facial expression didn't change though because he always seems to look a little grumpy. Anyway after a while trying to find some words he decided to talk to my other fellow classmates.

Yep, that's Michael Long for you. Could have shown some class and said that was a regrettable action or it wasn't his proudest moment, but nah, got nothing to say. Fantastic bloke though, eh MWNN? :rolleyes:

Yep, that's Michael Long for you. Could have shown some class and said that was a regrettable action or it wasn't his proudest moment, but nah, got nothing to say. Fantastic bloke though, eh MWNN? :rolleyes:
I'd take that as a clear sign that it's something he's not proud of and doesn't really want to talk about. He doesn't owe anything to Mike Melbourne-Member on the street. Only person he owes an apology to is Simmonds, and for all we know he did so years ago.

But that's just what I think. As I said, not trying to defend the incident itself.

Yeah i pretty much took it as if he regretted it. i meant it in good jest too, and i thought he'd react differently. he doesn't owe me squat, as ManWithNoName said i'm just some Melbourne supporter off the street. If i knew he was going to react the way he did i probably wouldn't have asked him on an important night for him.

Still though, don't agree with what happened on the day, but it was 14 years ago so live and let live i suppose. Although then again we Melbourne supporters do is seem to dwell on the past! (Guilty!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back