General MFC discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't have a problem with Jackson aiming high either. Jackson has plans and everything on track however for this he has to put his faith that the football department and the players. Jacksons done all he can do and then some. Daring to Dream and Daring to do are two different things and it's about time some expectations where placed. The bar has been set, rise to the challenge.

Aiming high is fine, but odds of us making finals in 2016 are slim unless we've got some serious recruitment planned for next off-season. We've got a lot of ground to make up.

I like it, I know it's just talk at this stage but it's about time some real definitive expectations were placed on the group. We may not get there but at least there is some confidence coming out of the club.

The added effect is that there is an unspoken expectation to get ourselves out of the bottom 4, if not bottom 6, this year if we're any chance of getting to finals in 2016.

We need KPIs and making them public is obviously to provide a signal to existing members and disaffected supporters - namely the 12,000 lost members.

Most of those lost members probably won't come back on board until we win consistently and that's life but if, through the power of suggestion, we can get say 1000 of those lost members to sign on then that's a good start. More revenue, more supporters at games.

We can debate the numbers and aspirations PJ set out all day long but if nothing else it will pique interest and human nature is a funny thing.

To a degree it doesn't matter if we don't reach the targets. We all know the current personnel at the club will work their backsides off and PJ is no idiot. He knows we've been fed symbolic fluff for so long (under prior administrations) that we've had enough. Putting out there what we want to hear is the stimulus this supporter base needs.

I think we can get pretty close to those aspirations even if we don't meet them.

If we jag a free agent and trade our first pick away for a player next year, we will be ready to look for finals without doubt.

These are both likely scenarios in my opinion.

Not to mention if Jack Trengove recovers well towards the end of the year.

As I've said before, most teams playing finals are crap. We were crap when we were atop the ladder after round 18 in 2004. Nearly half the competition play finals. It's not some miraculous event to play finals in 2016 or any year; not withstanding the levels of ineptitude we've trawled. North are ordinary and finished top 4. Richmond are full of spuds.

And unlike others, playing finals won't give me any jollies. It's a means to the only thing that matters.

As I've said before, most teams playing finals are crap. We were crap when we were atop the ladder after round 18 in 2004. Nearly half the competition play finals. It's not some miraculous event to play finals in 2016 or any year; not withstanding the levels of ineptitude we've trawled. North are ordinary and finished top 4. Richmond are full of spuds.

And unlike others, playing finals won't give me any jollies. It's a means to the only thing that matters.
You've got to start somewhere though. You can't go straight from a decade in the wilderness to top 4. It's not that easy. The ultimate, overall goal isn't to make the finals and that's it, it's just a step forward along the path.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawthorn, Port and Sydney will still be right up there in 2016, and probably Gold Coast and Geelong too. We'll see what happens with GWS this year but I'd expect them to be around the middle, and they'll probably push on in 2016. North and Fremantle could drop off a cliff but there are other teams around better placed than us to take their spots. We could make finals that year but we most likely won't. I'll revise this if a Pendlebury, Treloar, Cameron etc get traded in.

Created a thread w/o seeing this.

Apologies, I'm not around here much at the moment and haven't kept track :oops:
Definitely warranted it's own thread, I've moved all related posts there.

Getting closer folks, a few weeks now and the time for talk is over. Well to be honest thats when the talk will begin on how our new recruits are looking.

I genuinely believe that Toumpas will be firmly in our best 22 by the end of the year.

You'd hope so. If he's not, it'd mean he's injured again or can't oust Matt Jones or Rohan Bail from the side.

Hi all, for those of you who are contributing to that MFC History Draft on another thread please hurry up and pick either Diamond Jim Tillbrook (in the centre) or even better Ross Dillon as a key forward. I've been waiting a while for their names to be called out. Obviously this can be seen as none of my business as I'm not involved, but some of the names mentioned aren't in the same league as these two genuine stars of the MFC. Anyway I enjoy reading all the threads - some of you guys are very witty as far humour goes and it gives me a good laugh reading all your comments. Keep up the good work!

Hi all, for those of you who are contributing to that MFC History Draft on another thread please hurry up and pick either Diamond Jim Tillbrook (in the centre) or even better Ross Dillon as a key forward. I've been waiting a while for their names to be called out. Obviously this can be seen as none of my business as I'm not involved, but some of the names mentioned aren't in the same league as these two genuine stars of the MFC. Anyway I enjoy reading all the threads - some of you guys are very witty as far humour goes and it gives me a good laugh reading all your comments. Keep up the good work!
Just starting to pick bench now. Dillon will get a gig for someone, Diamond Jim won't make the cut for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back