General MFC discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amazing that the early feel of the AFL public is that GWS will win...they scraped over against St Kilda.

Or we just aren't going to get credit til we prove it.

This. We're understandably a fair way in the red.

Giants should still start very much favourites. It's their home ground, they've beaten us in our last three encounters, and they pumped us at our home ground last time we played them.
It's Canberra, not West Sydney.

Giants should still start very much favourites. It's their home ground, they've beaten us in our last three encounters, and they pumped us at our home ground last time we played them.

What's GWS' record in Canberra like though?

It's Canberra, not West Sydney.
Ah yes. I totally knew that. I'm not stupid enough to book the V-Line to Canberra and a hotel in Canberra and tickets for a game in Canberra and then forget that the game is being played in Canberra.

I SWEAR.

Last time we played in Canberra?
Wasn't last time that terrible wet game when the storm rolled into Sydney like 5 minutes in and there were about 15 people at the game?

Wasn't last time that terrible wet game when the storm rolled into Sydney like 5 minutes in and there were about 15 people at the game?

From memory it was 2012, GWS' first year and Mark Neeld sprayed the playing group after we won but before we sung the song.

I like the fact its somewhat a neutral venue. They have to travel too, weather by bus, plane or not sure. Chances are we will fly in, and be there before they are, giving us a chance to aclimatise. Clutching at staws, but its better than playing them in the bum f^#k burbs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've never been more confident, that our midfield, can match it with these young 'elite' midfielders. Stop cameron kicking goals and we win the game. Can we do that...yes we can!!

We are so 4th it's not funny!
Genuinely important that we stay there, even if it doesn't mean anything. If we can still by some miracle be a top 4 side after like 4 rounds (highly unlikely, but allow me this), it just changes the way that the media talks about us and the way that the footy public think. Suddenly there's something exciting to say about the Dees. The players feel more confident going into games v Freo, Sydney, and Hawthorn. The fans turn up to games v interstate sides at the 'G. These 'soft' factors in themselves inspire future success.

Anyone who thinks we're going to give up multiple players/picks for Treloar or any other single player is insane. As evidenced it's clearly not the Roos way. P2 for Tyson + 9, 23 for Frost + 40 and 53, etc. It's also why we were never going to trade both pick 2 and pick 3 for one player last year. Giving up Howe and a top 5 pick would be Judd to Carlton for Pick 3 and JJK-esque, especially if we have to add a second rounder too. And Treloar is sure as hell no Chris Judd. But sure, let's go shipping off the few good players we have like Jeremy Howe, especially ones who are extremely popular within the playing group. Excellent list management.

Last year we were light on for midfielders - hence a need for a 1 for 2 type deal.

Now we need talent. Don't discount a 2 for 1 type deal.

Last year we were light on for midfielders - hence a need for a 1 for 2 type deal.

Now we need talent. Don't discount a 2 for 1 type deal.
We might trade draft picks, but there's no way in hell we're going to trade one of our best players in Howe for anything. Good teams (or bad teams trying to be good) don't trade good players in mammoth deals just to get in other good players. Especially if Howe puts in more games like he did on Saturday without any match practice.

We might trade draft picks, but there's no way in hell we're going to trade one of our best players in Howe for anything. Good teams (or bad teams trying to be good) don't trade good players in mammoth deals just to get in other good players. Especially if Howe puts in more games like he did on Saturday without any match practice.

I think you're over rating Howe and under rating Treloar.

Anyway that's thr last of it from me - it was a hypothetical trade in, and a hypothetical trade out.

Geelong traded out Moloney to get ottens and it was vital in getting them 2 premierships

Hawthorn traded out Trent croad

You can pull the trigger when you see the right move , and a marking half back can be replaced

Geelong traded out Moloney to get ottens and it was vital in getting them 2 premierships

Hawthorn traded out Trent croad

You can pull the trigger when you see the right move , and a marking half back can be replaced
Neither of those deals was huge overs though. And Howe is also one of our most experienced players (and well respected players), rather than a junior midfielder or KPP with two years under their belt.

Genuinely important that we stay there, even if it doesn't mean anything. If we can still by some miracle be a top 4 side after like 4 rounds (highly unlikely, but allow me this), it just changes the way that the media talks about us and the way that the footy public think. Suddenly there's something exciting to say about the Dees. The players feel more confident going into games v Freo, Sydney, and Hawthorn. The fans turn up to games v interstate sides at the 'G. These 'soft' factors in themselves inspire future success.

I wouldn't quite say we have to be top 4, but we probably do need to be at least 2-2 as rounds 5-6-7 are going to be very difficult. Also agree on the reluctance to trade Howe, I'd love Treloar but trading Howe feels like we're ripping out the heart of the team.

Neither of those deals was huge overs though. And Howe is also one of our most experienced players (and well respected players), rather than a junior midfielder or KPP with two years under their belt.
I kind of agree, but theres only two years age difference between Howe and Treloar, its fairly like-for-like in that regard...do GWS need Howe though?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back