GF Eve Public Holiday

Do you support a public holiday on GF eve?

• Yes

Votes: 56 33.9%
  • No

Votes: 61 37.0%
  • I'd rather it on the Monday

Votes: 48 29.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I like it. Don't care about the parade.

Absolutely moronic idea, adds nothing and simply smashes the economy.

It was just something demanded of Andrews by the unions.

The most stupid idea. As the Opposition have said, what if it's a Swans v Freo grand final? What would Melburnians be celebrating? In fact, apart from the midday parade, GF eve is just another day.

This is a case of a politician coming up with a half baked idea to get himself elected and refusing to admit he didn't think it through. When you're happy to fork out $600M not to build a road, and $400M to compensate a corporate giant dudded out of pokies, what's an estimated loss to businesses of $500M for a public holiday?

I seriously reckon Dan Andrews does not even know the shape of an Australian football

Liberal voters making themselves heard.

For all those bitching and moaning about too many public holidays.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Which-country-has-the-most-public-holidays-30251954.html

Australia really does not have that many public holidays, especially compared to our nearest Asian neighbours.
Economic powerhouses such as China, Hong Hong and South Korea all have more.

Would love to see it become a national holiday just to see the reaction of league and soccer supporters.:D

Need to know the figures in wider context - China for example only has 5 days annual leave entitlement - so 22 days off to Australia's 30

Not to mention other things such as personal leave and long service leave, hours in a working week etc

Really it's putting back the public holiday that Kennett axed for no reason (Show Day). Think of it as an investment in families.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really it's putting back the public holiday that Kennett axed for no reason (Show Day). Think of it as an investment in families.
Working families?

I like it. Don't care about the parade.

Liberal voters making themselves heard.

I'm not a Liberal voter, we don't need to start that s**t.

This is a stupid idea that has been roundly criticised in many circles. It's not exactly a secret that Andrews has declared 2 more public holidays as a payback for union support during the campaign.

I voted for Andrews, doesn't mean I have to agree with every one of his ideas.

Here in NSW we have a holiday for the Monday after NRL grand final day, hence the Sunday night timeslot. Pretty dumb idea though, what is the point of having Friday off, like what would would be on? Would it be football related? Having Monday off to makes no sense as you have all day Sunday to recover from celebrating on the Saturday.

Here in NSW we have a holiday for the Monday after NRL grand final day, hence the Sunday night timeslot. Pretty dumb idea though, what is the point of having Friday off, like what would would be on? Would it be football related? Having Monday off to makes no sense as you have all day Sunday to recover from celebrating on the Saturday.

actually that was for bathurst but the V8's moved bathurst weekend and the NRL moved in.

I'm not a Liberal voter, we don't need to start that s**t.

This is a stupid idea that has been roundly criticised in many circles. It's not exactly a secret that Andrews has declared 2 more public holidays as a payback for union support during the campaign.

I voted for Andrews, doesn't mean I have to agree with every one of his ideas.

Sure but he went to the election saying he would do it, and got voted in, so he does it. Democracy at work.

As a Western Australian, all I can say is screw you all! You get a day off in November to watch some dumb horses run a circle while I'm stuck at work. Now you get another day off to watch some footy players sit in the back of a convertible, joke with each other and glare at the crowd underneath their shades, while I'm stuck at work.

Where's my parade? Where's my under-the-shades-glare? Where's my what-the-hell-is-Hodge-laughing-at moment?

As a Western Australian, all I can say is screw you all! You get a day off in November to watch some dumb horses run a circle while I'm stuck at work. Now you get another day off to watch some footy players sit in the back of a convertible, joke with each other and glare at the crowd underneath their shades, while I'm stuck at work.

Where's my parade? Where's my under-the-shades-glare? Where's my what-the-hell-is-Hodge-laughing-at moment?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Australia_Day

The whole thing is a joke.
And if you're going to have a public holiday then at least have it on the actual day.
What about Melbourne Cup Eve?

I thought I was the only one in Melbourne who worked on the day before the Cup? A holiday without penalty rates, get on to it Dan pay penalty rates for sickies?

I actually think racing could be a big winner here. They're always itching to get the spring kicked off a bit earlier, and they lose the GF Saturday as nobody is watching. This effectively gives them a free hit. They'd be loving an extra public holiday just being dropped on them in late September. Reckon we'll see some big races scheduled for the Friday.

Unless the AFL put something on worth watching (ie a game, I dunno what), it'll just be a free kick to other sports.

Back