GF Eve Public Holiday

Do you support a public holiday on GF eve?

• Yes

Votes: 56 33.9%
  • No

Votes: 61 37.0%
  • I'd rather it on the Monday

Votes: 48 29.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I actually think racing could be a big winner here. They're always itching to get the spring kicked off a bit earlier, and they lose the GF Saturday as nobody is watching. This effectively gives them a free hit. They'd be loving an extra public holiday just being dropped on them in late September. Reckon we'll see some big races scheduled for the Friday.

Unless the AFL put something on worth watching (ie a game, I dunno what), it'll just be a free kick to other sports.

Moonee Valley already has a night meeting that night (Stutt Stakes) so it could prove a winner for them indeed.

This idea that the GF parade on it's current route is the traditional route has whiskers on it too.

Maybe I'm showing my age, but, it has also gone done Bourke St into the mall and also down Swanston St from the State Library.

When non Vic club supporters are in town they'll be disappointed if retail is not going full bore - for many female fans a trip to Melbourne is as much about shopping as the game.

Not sure about Perth. But retail remains open as pretty much normal on public holidays in Melbourne (bar Good Friday/Christmas Day).

Who cares what business or the AFL think about it? The people of Victoria voted for it, deal with it.

It shows how bad politics is in this country that not following the mandate is a serious suggestion.

Just like they voted for the scrapping of Eastlink - based on the premise it wouldn't cost tax payers money.
600 million down the drain later, we are expected to actually listen to this government.
Andrews doesn't have much of a clue, and anyone who gets into power based on false promises - will not be respected, and will always battled to hold their job. Tony Abbott is the prime example, it is a daily battle for this guy to hold down (keep) his job.

Just like they voted for the scrapping of Eastlink - based on the premise it wouldn't cost tax payers money.
600 million down the drain later, we are expected to actually listen to this government.
Andrews doesn't have much of a clue, and anyone who gets into power based on false promises - will not be respected, and will always battled to hold their job. Tony Abbott is the prime example, it is a daily battle for this guy to hold down (keep) his job.

This is probably not for this thread, and I don't vote labour, but they have kept more of their promises than any other Government I can recall. It will send us broke but meh.

One thing not mentioned is the crowd who goes to the parade. Only some workers go and watch it. Most are workers who have taken sickies (it is known for being one of the biggest sickie days each year).

Let's throw in some overseas tourists supporting all clubs, not just the competing ones. I counted hundreds of Freo scarves last year (whoops!), plus a whole heap of kids already on school holidays and that just about covers the entire demographic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is probably not for this thread, and I don't vote labour, but they have kept more of their promises than any other Government I can recall. It will send us broke but meh.

We will still be rich at heart;)

Great idea. The GF parade is ideally suited to kids, and now they get the day off school to go and see it. Will be a massive turn out this year.

We got robbed of our day off for ANZAC Day this year. Only fair we get one back.
I thought that this was the main reason the public holiday was redeployed to GF. You would hope when Anzac is not on weekend that it regains PH status and this GF holiday vanishes. Thought it was placed there partly to space out the PHs.

Although some industries are still paying it as a public holiday (in mine you need to be a full time rotating shift worker or work at least 50% Saturdays)

One thing not mentioned is the crowd who goes to the parade. Only some workers go and watch it. Most are workers who have taken sickies (it is known for being one of the biggest sickie days each year).

Let's throw in some overseas tourists supporting all clubs, not just the competing ones. I counted hundreds of Freo scarves last year (whoops!), plus a whole heap of kids already on school holidays and that just about covers the entire demographic.

You can justify your sickie claim eh paZZZZ ... I try to manage my time to either take it in OR give the CBD a big miss. Non Vic AFL friends & relo's love it given their team is involved (not so, my mob).
We blokes kick on, but she who must be obeyed steps out & damages the line of credit :(

All governments fail to keep promises. You just back in the ones that are most likely to keep the ones that benefit you the most. And that's why I always vote against the sitting member in a safe seat as only marginals get the benefits of pork barrelling. Added benefit it denies them their pension if they don't make it to 10 years.

Back