GF ticket allocations - the AFL's shame

Remove this Banner Ad

May I ask how ?

Had a mate who was a WCE member who gave me his ticket because he couldn't make it in 05.

In 06 I posted on redandwhiteonline.com and a fellow Swans member was forthcoming with a ticket.

On both occassions I paid listed price for the tickets.

All of that aside, I'd recommend that if you don't have a ticket, get to Melbourne and head fro Y&J's or any of the pubs on Flinders st on Saturday morning. Someone always has a ticket. Just got to be prepared to pay for it. My mate got a ticket at Y&J's for $300 at 11am on GF day in Y&J's.

You can currently buy a port adelaide package for about $750. And many packages exist for around 900 atm.

I don't like the system more to the fact that it makes the event lesser with a poor atmosphere but if you're really the true fan people here are telling everyone its not huge money. a couple nights out on the piss.

cos789 said:
FFS if nobody can see that this is the real issue .

Not an issue at all.

There are 100,000 members who pay an average of more than $400 in subscriptions each year. That's $40 million a year solely in subscriptions.

How do you think the MCG has largely been paid for? The MCG is the MCC members' ground and they are entitled to a seat at their ground at every event held there.

as mentioned this comes up every year, if you are an ordinary club member DO NOT expect to get a GF ticket, if you want to go to the GF become an AFL member/social clubs member, you have to pony up the $$$ if you want to go. I have been a full AFL member for the past 10 years and that include 4 years of uni, every year i made sure i had they money to pay it, if you want it enought you will make sacrifices to make it happen....

I agree that more tickets should be made available for supporters. However you have to also recgonise that sponsers are reason why we have a grand final in the first place. Sure they may not be passionate supporters but they are the reason why the AFL runs in the first place.

I always wondered why we (my dad and our friends) are all AFL members and always have been since MCG became our home ground. We were Collingwood members back at Victoria park, I remember we always sat in the same wooden benches each week back in the day.

Now I know why!

From the AFL members website:
A maximum of up to 60% of total tickets available to AFL Members will be allocated to Full Members with a nominated Club Support package for either competing team.

There are a sufficient number of Grand Final tickets available for all Full Members with a competing Club Support package

Moral of the story is: Yes, the southern stand doesn't have cushions on the seats, but if you want to see your club go all the way, become an AFL member. Even St Kilda and Collingwood AFL members combined apparently doesn't reach 12,900 people (60% of 21,500).

Incidentally, I'm here because I would like to know if AFL full club members can get Level P tickets at 10am on Sunday.

We do not like sitting on Level M and usually sit in Q for the home and away series, however for the finals I have been able to get us tickets on Level P through Ticketek which has been fantastic.

I did this by specifically choosing Level P during the transaction process, however I don’t want to waste time if this won’t be available for the GF.

I wish the grand final (fingers crossed) transaction process to go as smoothly as possible so I would like to know in advance.

I am sitting here in Perth and will decide next Monday whether or not I want to go to the grand final, I know it will cost me $4000 to go and thats the price to get there and be a part of the big day.

Excellent point - some of us in Melbourne need to get a bit of perspective and realise how good we actually have it.

I always wondered why we (my dad and our friends) are all AFL members and always have been since MCG became our home ground. We were Collingwood members back at Victoria park, I remember we always sat in the same wooden benches each week back in the day.

Now I know why!

From the AFL members website:
A maximum of up to 60% of total tickets available to AFL Members will be allocated to Full Members with a nominated Club Support package for either competing team.

There are a sufficient number of Grand Final tickets available for all Full Members with a competing Club Support package

Moral of the story is: Yes, the southern stand doesn't have cushions on the seats, but if you want to see your club go all the way, become an AFL member. Even St Kilda and Collingwood AFL members combined apparently doesn't reach 12,900 people (60% of 21,500).

Incidentally, I'm here because I would like to know if AFL full club members can get Level P tickets at 10am on Sunday.

We do not like sitting on Level M and usually sit in Q for the home and away series, however for the finals I have been able to get us tickets on Level P through Ticketek which has been fantastic.

I did this by specifically choosing Level P during the transaction process, however I don’t want to waste time if this won’t be available for the GF.

I wish the grand final (fingers crossed) transaction process to go as smoothly as possible so I would like to know in advance.

Amen brother.....if you are an AFl member, money still goes to your club, only 5-7 years waiting list before you are a full member and have access to GF tickets regardless of who playing, (guaranteed if your teams playing) as well as 40 games a years at MCG and the Dome. Best deal in town, i know people who pay more than me for social club and only get 11 games a year.

as for the seating, not sure best give ticketek or the AFL a call today or tomorrow, or just specify which area you want when you buy your ticket, but in reality who cares where they are ars long as they have t ciket for the big dance....

Re the article for a second there I thought he was going to explore new ground by analysing the seat locations of the 25,000 competing club members tickets. This is a real stinker that rarely gets mentioned however he just made some hard to understand commentary about the general lack of availability of Standard Reserved seating.

The graphic did not really help – it just showed the seating plan without divulging who sits where. Fine showing me where Standard, Prime and Premium seating areas are – I just want to know who gets allocated which seats.

The big problem with the GF atmosphere is that the team’s fans are not located together and the whole crowd seems fragmented as a result. If the corporates were kept to levels 2 and higher with the club members all on the bottom deck then the day would have a lot more buzz IMO.

If last year's debacle is anything to go by, the seating is allocated totally at random. Doesn't matter what membership level you have.

I have a Gold Membership (Priority 1 access) and was seated in standard seating, on M level, behind the Hawthorn Cheer Squad. This was allocated as Standard seating. I know of a considerable number of others (Kennedy Club, highest level of membership, also Priority 1 access) who ended up in the nosebleed seats on Level 4 (Q level). There was also a considerable number of General Admission members (Priority 3 access) who got either Prime or Premium seating.

To me, this is something that also needs addressing, because I believe that if you shell out the bigger bucks for your membership, you should be able to expect a fairly decent seat for the GF.

You register for a GF ticket in Priority order. eg - Priority 1 registers on a certain day between 8am-11am. Priority 2 registers on the same day between 12pm-2.30pm; Priority 3 registers same day, but between 3.30-6.00pm. The ticket agency KNOWS who registers, and in what order. The tickets are allocated on the Sunday before the GF.

What I want to know is why the seating cannot be allocated according to registration priority - eg start with allocating Prime seating to Priority 1 registrations, and work through to Standard seating/Standing Room and Priority 3 registrations.

I guess that would make too much sense.

If last year's debacle is anything to go by, the seating is allocated totally at random. Doesn't matter what membership level you have.

I have a Gold Membership (Priority 1 access) and was seated in standard seating, on M level, behind the Hawthorn Cheer Squad. This was allocated as Standard seating. I know of a considerable number of others (Kennedy Club, highest level of membership, also Priority 1 access) who ended up in the nosebleed seats on Level 4 (Q level). There was also a considerable number of General Admission members (Priority 3 access) who got either Prime or Premium seating.

To me, this is something that also needs addressing, because I believe that if you shell out the bigger bucks for your membership, you should be able to expect a fairly decent seat for the GF.

You register for a GF ticket in Priority order. eg - Priority 1 registers on a certain day between 8am-11am. Priority 2 registers on the same day between 12pm-2.30pm; Priority 3 registers same day, but between 3.30-6.00pm. The ticket agency KNOWS who registers, and in what order. The tickets are allocated on the Sunday before the GF.

What I want to know is why the seating cannot be allocated according to registration priority - eg start with allocating Prime seating to Priority 1 registrations, and work through to Standard seating/Standing Room and Priority 3 registrations.

You get 'guaranteed access to a ticket', not a 'guaranteed good seat', you pay a premium to make sure you get a seat.

The Afl say that they need the corporate sponsors to survive, but do they, or is it just greed?
Do we need billions of dollars to run the afl?
Should corporate sponsors get priority to the grand final?
Do we need corporate boxes at afl grounds .
Country football also needs sponsorship to survive but I have not seen a country ground with corporate boxes.
Question: Why do television stations pay hundreds of millions of dollars to get the rights to televise our game?
Answer: To sell advertisement.
Then why do the afl need to give their sponsors priority to grand final tickets when they already advertise their product.
If there was no support for football then there would be no sponsors, as the sponsor needs the supporter to see their product.
So therefore the supporter is what the afl needs to survive.
Approx. 7 million people will have gone to the footy by seasons end, that adds up to a lot of dollars.
I think it is time that the afl got their priorities right and gave the game back to the supporters.
Here’s an idea. When a supporter buys a club membership they should get an option of paying extra for an assurance to get a grand final ticket. If your team make the grand final, then you have first option for a grand final ticket. After the two grand final teams supporters have got their tickets, then 3rd, 4th and so on, any tickets that are left then go to the public or the sponsors.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stupid stuff like that throughout the finals. For example the Adelaide v Pies Semi last week, AFL members without reserved seating were forced into Q21-Q27 from row U. Behind the goals in the southern stand there were literally bays and bays full of empty seats, from Row A. Go figure.

Haven't read through the whole thread so apologies if it has already been mentioned.

If you struggle to afford the type of membership that guarantees a seat in the GF. Don't buy a memebership at all, wait each year and if your team makes it then buy a package (centre square, GF Breakfast etc.)
These packages are expensive but if you only pay for them if your team makes it, it ends up viable.

All those years you forked out for membership that gets a GF seat and your team didn't make the GF. If you add up the cost of those years (normally 5 - 10 years in between appearances) it would be cheaper to not have membership and just buy a overpriced GF package when your team does make it.

It wouldv'e worked for Geelong in 2007, not so much now.

So the corporate scalping is not all bad. Saints fans haven't made it since 1997. That is 10 years of wasted GF priveledge membership prior to this year. I'm not sure what that would cost, but surely a $2000 GF package is cheaper than 10 years of GF guaranteed membership.

I know memebrships financially support the club but in the long run financially supporting yourself is also important, so I say get basic memebership or don't bother at all and grab a GF package when and if your team makes it.

MCC and AFL members are legitimate.
Medallion members - is that from Docklands? Was that part of a deal?
Each player getting two tickets is fine.
Sponsors and corporates are needed and at 7500 isn't excessive.
AFL entitlements - what's that?

16,000 for the clubs seems a lot. The clubs won't argue though as these are massive fundraisers.

Solution - find a bigger ground!

MCC allocation - OK
AFL members - No. Only AFL members with their nominated club participating in GF should get access to purchase tickets.
Players - OK
Sponsors and corporates - Should limit to 1000.
Participating club members - Should get way more.

MCC allocation - OK
AFL members - No. Only AFL members with their nominated club participating in GF should get access to purchase tickets.
Players - OK
Sponsors and corporates - Should limit to 1000.
Participating club members - Should get way more.

so some nuffy who spends $150 on a membership and goes to 11 games should have priority over, a company that might pump a few hundred thousand into the afl and afl members who pay around $500 a year

wake up and get in the real world. , if you think a normal 11 game members have the god given rights to get tickets your wrong. and it not the afl raping the normal members to get ticket to give to corporate the current distribution has been in place for a while the reason it is getting harder and harder is that clubs members ship have grown significantly in the last ten years some clubs such as st-kilda and carlton were lucky to have 10-15 k members now most are nudging 30-35k. and the MCG capacity has not changed.

it all comes down to simple economics if you want tickets you have to pay. the whole real suppers cant afford it is bullshit if you were a real supporter you would make sure you were in the right position to have access..

...Solution - find a bigger ground!
That's it!

I have a novel idea - why doesn't the AFL buy some hactares of land in the outer suburbs and build a super stadium - with a capacity of, let's say, 157,000 or thereabouts. Then you wouldn't have to worry about the MCC members.

Of course, they would also need a promise from the State Gov't to build a suburban railway line past it ...

Why hasn't this been thought of before?

That's it!

I have a novel idea - why doesn't the AFL buy some hactares of land in the outer suburbs and build a super stadium - with a capacity of, let's say, 157,000 or thereabouts. Then you wouldn't have to worry about the MCC members.

Of course, they would also need a promise from the State Gov't to build a suburban railway line past it ...

good idea but knowing the vic government they would renege at the last minute and it would become impossible to get there.

That's it!

If only Waverley was still around ...

Maybe they should only allocate that amount of tickets to members for home and away games. Then we will see how much money the AFL will make. Vlad wants us all to come out in droves during the year and then high society get to enjoy the grand final. What a load of crap.

Had a mate who was a WCE member who gave me his ticket because he couldn't make it in 05.

In 06 I posted on redandwhiteonline.com and a fellow Swans member was forthcoming with a ticket.

On both occassions I paid listed price for the tickets.
So if you don't have mates who give you tickets you don't really want to go :confused:

Then they have no right to expect guaranteed access to the Grand Final. It's not a right, it's a privilege

That is elitist garbage. It might not be a right but a privilege!!!???

Have you ever wondered why our showpiece game has such an emabarrassing lack of atmosphere?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back