Preview GRAND FINAL: Port Adelaide v Norwood

Remove this Banner Ad

have to say how awesome it was back at the club after the match to see wingard, wines, hartlett, carlile, white and the rest all there, all in the prison bars, all united in support for the boys, we have a great club with great blokes who will drive this club to where it belongs. great stuff.
That's fantastic to hear , good on them , not like some supposed Port supporters .

That's my understanding and would be why we played other than our best 22 yesterday. I sort of understood that as I watched Butcher back in but did not see Robbie Young (though he may have been still injured). Hard to take when you want to win, but understandable in the context of being the AFL reserve team.

It is not understandable. The NFC still defeated the PAFC in the sanfl gf and that record will stand forever. If the NFC defeat the PAFC in the next 15 sanfl GFs it is not understandable. The PAFC name is still being carried at the highest level in SA football and should be honoured by players and supporters.

That move late in the final quarter that was cut off by one Norwood hand was the final chance we had. When Lewis Stevenson had the ball in defence he switched it and we had a free run had the ball evaded the Norwood player. But he got one hand to it and although he did not turn it over the delay allowed Norwood to close the play down and set up defensively again. The final two kicks into attack were just too late to allow us to have another shot on goal.

Ed Smart, I thought you were out and we were gawn and somehow he got his hand to it.

Well for the campaigners who were whinging how unfair it was - for all the season - no AFL in SANFL people - the whingers on 5RPH etc, yesterday was a confirmation that SAFC actually got it right.

The last GF at AO in 1973 was a classic, and yesterday's GF - whilst maybe not as revered as 1973 because the comp has changed so much - was a corker of a contest that had everything you would want in a GF - unless your team lost - which mine's did.

South Adelaide and Norwood have raised their standard and stopped whinging and had a crack. Most of the rest of the SANFL clubs should take a leaf out of their books.

Saw Andy D enjoying himself at the game. He like everyone else who rocked up, saw a game that show cased everything that was great about our game.

Apparently Norwood supporters held their scarves over their head while NTUA was played over the tannoy back at the Parade last night.

Oh Fruchoctopia, don't go changin' <3
Only a snap chat? I've seen the video on Facebook.

No big deal, I'm happy to let them have their fun. We know we've got a pretty good deal and they can only dream of playing with the big boys.

Yep. It's just what you'd imagine it to be, it's not worth posting.

Did it resemble this screenshot?

2ljt5lk.jpg

#tare

The only positive out of losing a tight GF is that the whole of the Port Adelaide squad, the 22 who played at the MCG, the 21 who played at AO the injured players and those who missed selection will all be driven to have some redemption next year. That will make the preseason bonding even stronger.

That's my understanding and would be why we played other than our best 22 yesterday. I sort of understood that as I watched Butcher back in but did not see Robbie Young (though he may have been still injured). Hard to take when you want to win, but understandable in the context of being the AFL reserve team.
That's what ive been told , fine print deal with Sanfl , Afl guys must be played ! , Bruggemann , Beimans , Johansen told week previous that they wont be playing in the GF regardless !.

I thought Anthony Biemans was very stiff not to play in the GF as was Bruggerman. Also I thought Slattery deserved a spot in the side. Think all 3 of these guys were the emergencies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

all three werent allowed to be picked under the dodgy system we have.

What do you mean the SANFL said we had to play all available AFL listed players first? Why? Or did the club chose to only play 2 contracted payers?

Are you saying that if all 45 players on the list were fully fit, Summo wouldn't have been allowed to play in the GF? Find that hard to believe.

What do you mean the SANFL said we had to play all available AFL listed players first? Why? Or did the club chose to only play 2 contracted payers?

Are you saying that if all 45 players on the list were fully fit, Summo wouldn't have been allowed to play in the GF? Find that hard to believe.
we have to play all afl listed players above the sanfl listed players. once butcher came back, it was either bruggeman or krakouer who had to be dropped, we couldnt drop one of our rookie listed or even soon to be delisted players. im guessing if we ever have 21 afl listed players available summo will be in the magpies reserves side, as absurd as that is. i understand how we have restrictions on who we can recruit and bring into the club, but we shouldnt have further restrictions on who we have to select from there, especially when it clearly messes with the teams structure.

Finally got an opportunity to watch the GF tonight...so far

1st qtr

Newton....very disappointing. Terrible kicks, zero accountability
Stevenson...good endeavour but an awful 1st qtr
Heath, hitchcock definitely not fit
Harvey....tried hard in ruck but clearly not a ruckman. Also tries to outbody opponents too mch
Clurey....ok to good.
Impey....altho philips got a couple, impey was ok.
Mitchell....crap
Butcher...dont think he looks 100%. Would be nice for him if he had guys like summerton, krak kicking to him rather than the crap Mitchell and Newton served up
Flynn...some good glimpses
Arch..ok,
Mason Shaw...rubbish in ruck but some nice moments around the ground
Russell...not bad
Amon...good goal, some almost moments
Stewart .....disappointing so far
Gray....see Stewart
Krak....meh
DBJ...double meh
Logan...throws his body in but very ineffective
Summo...some quality touches but not enough
Young...good. Not outstanding but good.

2nd QTR

Newton....better but way below expectations
Stevenson...better
Heath, hitchcock....these guys could barely run. Not sure why we would clear them as fit. Healthy maybe but no way fit
Harvey....same as 1st qtr, jumped more at centre bounces. Needs more around grnd involvement
Clurey....good
Impey....some clangers, cost at least 1 goal from trying to be too cute. Needs to become 'solid' in disposing the ball. Slow decision making
Mitchell....got involved but not much effect. He is NOT a centre square mid. Other than running I dont see what Ken sees in him
Butcher...competed, lead to the ball. Just needs to do it more often
Flynn...same as 1st
Arch..wow, a few real quality movements in congestion. Can definitely see something to work with. Contested work is coming along great. Fix up his kicking and running capacity. Hope we keep him
Mason Shaw...ok but not enough
Russell...meh
Amon...barely saw him
Stewart .....got involved but need more from him
Gray....hmmm, expected more from him
Krak....better
DBJ...awful. I thought this kid had pace. Havent seen any and some absolute terrible defending
Logan...looked after phillips this qtr, got lucky and gave phillips way too much space. Said it for a long time, rubbish as a defender.
Summo...ok
Young...good -> excellent. Can see why he played so much AFL

Most disappointing part of this qtr was the way we couldnt lock down on Panos. Mitchell, Newton, young and Arch all rotated on him and they still barely paid him any respect.

I thought Anthony Biemans was very stiff not to play in the GF as was Bruggerman. Also I thought Slattery deserved a spot in the side. Think all 3 of these guys were the emergencies.

Slattery's leadership would have been nice but his form was below bar IMO. Bruggemanns shoulder wasn't 100%. But I will admit Biemans was stiff, was solid all year.

we have to play all afl listed players above the sanfl listed players. once butcher came back, it was either bruggeman or krakouer who had to be dropped, we couldnt drop one of our rookie listed or even soon to be delisted players. im guessing if we ever have 21 afl listed players available summo will be in the magpies reserves side, as absurd as that is. i understand how we have restrictions on who we can recruit and bring into the club, but we shouldnt have further restrictions on who we have to select from there, especially when it clearly messes with the teams structure.

We played Robbie Young over Russell in the semi vs Norwood. It's not a rule that we have to play AFL listed players over Maggies listed players it's a preference.

Last edited:
Slattery's leadership would have been nice but his form was below bar IMO. Bruggmemanns shoulder wasn't 100%. But I will admit Biemans was stiff, was solid all year.

We played Robbie Young over Russell in the semi vs Norwood. It's not a rule that we have to play AFL listed players over Maggies listed players it's a preference.

poor form or not, slattery was the perfect option to tag their best player and jack oatey medallist panos out of the game like he did when we beat them earlier in the year. just had to sit on him, and provide a contest around the packs, not allowing panos to rack up 12 clearances.

not sure about rule though, we brought flynn straight into the a's when clearly the best option was to give him a week or two in the reserves considering he had never played the game before, same with russell, heath, shaw etc ehen they came back from long term injuries, they all could have used a run in the reserves but were put straight in the a's.

its not 100% clear but. it does appear our afl players can only play league footy.

» From 2014, all of Port Adelaide’s AFL-listed players will play for the club’s SANFL League team when not selected to play for the Power
» The SANFL League team will be supported by a pool of 15 contracted SANFL-only players
» Port Adelaide will operate an Academy team in the SANFL Reserves competition with a list of players aged 18-22.
» Port Adelaide commits to ‘playing the line’ including:
- Not resting players and taking up elective surgery options
- SANFL doctor to provide second opinion on surgeries prior to end of season.

poor form or not, slattery was the perfect option to tag their best player and jack oatey medallist panos out of the game like he did when we beat them earlier in the year. just had to sit on him, and provide a contest around the packs, not allowing panos to rack up 12 clearances.

not sure about rule though, we brought flynn straight into the a's when clearly the best option was to give him a week or two in the reserves considering he had never played the game before, same with russell, heath, shaw etc ehen they came back from long term injuries, they all could have used a run in the reserves but were put straight in the a's.

its not 100% clear but. it does appear our afl players can only play league footy.

» From 2014, all of Port Adelaide’s AFL-listed players will play for the club’s SANFL League team when not selected to play for the Power
» The SANFL League team will be supported by a pool of 15 contracted SANFL-only players
» Port Adelaide will operate an Academy team in the SANFL Reserves competition with a list of players aged 18-22.
» Port Adelaide commits to ‘playing the line’ including:
- Not resting players and taking up elective surgery options
- SANFL doctor to provide second opinion on surgeries prior to end of season.

We have to remember when Robbie Young replaced Russell, Russell didn't play Academy. (Mainly because the Academy didn't make the finals)

But from what I've read we can only have AFL listed players in the Academy if we are granted permission.
This would include situations like if our AFL squad + Summerton were fully fit. We would then be granted permission to play the 4 extra AFL players (Most likely Wagner, Flynn, Russell and the rookie we replace Renouf with) in the Academy.
If anyone is comes back from a long term injury I'm guessing we would need to have a pretty full squad for them to play Academy otherwise they will be thrown in the deep end and play SANFL straight away.

Yes the rule is we have to get AFL permission to play players in the Academy side. That was clear from the conditions last September.

But we played several non AFL players in the semi final and only Butcher and Young I think werent available. I have never seen that rule about having to play AFL players first over Maggies contracted players. I know after September last year they had a working party that was able to adjust things as the season went but it just doesn't sound right that its a rule and definitely isn't a good and fair rule.

We had 6 maggies play in the semi ie Bruggers, Slattery, Biemens and Robbie Young plus Summo and Krak.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back