Preview GRAND FINAL: Port Adelaide v Norwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair collection of autographs, Scott Hodges, Troy Hull, Puffer McKay, Tim Ginever, Mark Tylor, David Hutton, Julian Wait, Damien Angove, John Cahill ... clearly not discriminating against anyone! :D

Fair collection of autographs, Scott Hodges, Troy Hull, Puffer McKay, Tim Ginever, Mark Tylor, David Hutton ... clearly not discriminating against anyone! :D

Should see the autographs my little brother got at Elizabeth back in '92!

League team gathered in front of the grandstand to watch the reserves. Lil' bro didn't know who the hell any of them were really. So me and the middle brother were telling him who to sign his Footy Budget.

Buckley. Chalmers. Abernethy. Willo. Choco. Kutchie. Batman & Robin. Timmy G... reckon the only player of note he didn't get was Scotty Hodges. But that didn't matter coz he already had it. Scotty's olds lived down the street.

Little bastard binned it without even knowing the treasure he threw away.

He did later. After we bashed him. Like any big brother/s would...

Last edited:
By the way , whats the bet Bruggemann ( if he doesn't get rookie listed ) leaves Port , might have been a match deciding move .

I still think Bruggemanns shoulder was not 100% Could barely get through the Prelim vs South.

The season rings true from AFL to SANFL. This was our big chance for a premiership and we blew it. Our record in close games was 1-3. diabolical across both leagues. The way we fell in a heap at the half time mark of the year was unacceptable. Unfortunately the team fell sway to the sins of the list manager. Bruggs and Harvey battled hard in the ruck but they were regularly fighting a losing battle. 64 to 28 hitouts, 45 to 33 clearances, 51 to 30 inside 50s. If you cant compete in the ruck you cant compete in finals.

Great result for the SANFL.

Well in that case lets remove ourselves from the SANFL and just simulate games for those players that are not selected in the first AFL 22 week by week. That would be a great environment for our budding young AFL players to develop in. They don't have to be concerned about developing by winning when they can try to develop by just having a good old lazy kick-around in the park.

Funny that Fiacchi and Ginever weren't smiling down at the club today. You would have thought they would be happy to just watch a bit of development happening.
Nobodies happy with our loss yesterday. MY comment was not meant to undermine anything or anyone. Simulating games ? Lazy kick around the park ? I pay to watch both of my clubs teams play and I want the both to win every week and my post was actually aimed at any would be at gloaters from the opposition. Iromically, playing as an AFL reserves side got us much closer to a flag than we have in 15 years and were likely to under the old system.

Nobodies happy with our loss yesterday. MY comment was not meant to undermine anything or anyone. Simulating games ? Lazy kick around the park ? I pay to watch both of my clubs teams play and I want the both to win every week and my post was actually aimed at any would be at gloaters from the opposition. Iromically, playing as an AFL reserves side got us much closer to a flag than we have in 15 years and were likely to under the old system.

My apologies for the misinterpretation of your post.

I'm not sure about this and it definitely needs to be clarified but if the sanfl medico deems an AFL listed player to be fit to play then we have to play him, we are not allowed to even rest him. Apparently they questioned when we rested Impey in the last minor round game against Glenelg anticipating to play him against Freo the following week. Since then, the SANFL looked closely at us to make sure we played all fit AFL players in the SANFL regardless of ability and form, meaning we couldn't select what we believed was our best 22 for each finals game. I stand to be corrected.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently Norwood supporters held their scarves over their head while NTUA was played over the tannoy back at the Parade last night.

Oh Fruchoctopia, don't go changin' <3

That move late in the final quarter that was cut off by one Norwood hand was the final chance we had. When Lewis Stevenson had the ball in defence he switched it and we had a free run had the ball evaded the Norwood player. But he got one hand to it and although he did not turn it over the delay allowed Norwood to close the play down and set up defensively again. The final two kicks into attack were just too late to allow us to have another shot on goal.

I'm not sure about this and it definitely needs to be clarified but if the sanfl medico deems an AFL listed player to be fit to play then we have to play him, we are not allowed to even rest him ....
That's my understanding and would be why we played other than our best 22 yesterday. I sort of understood that as I watched Butcher back in but did not see Robbie Young (though he may have been still injured). Hard to take when you want to win, but understandable in the context of being the AFL reserve team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back