2nds Norwood vs Port Adelaide - Round 10 @ The Parade

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't recall anything about Koch and Thomas wanting to retain our involvement in the SANFL under age competitions pieman and have been under the impression a major part of the one club agreement was that we always had to give up our zones which made it virtually impossible to field under age teams, but blokes like yourself, Rossfc and REH probably know more about the one club arrangement than I do.

I can recall an `academy' team playing in the SANFL reserve's comp for a season or two, but it was very ordinary and got regularly smashed by most of the other SANFL teams.

It may not have been the One Club deal but it was definitely a want in the Reserves agreement with the SANFL. Either way in 2013 Koch and Thomas were pretty strong on retaining our Reserves and under age sides plus a junior recruiting zone but they had to concede in the end. Keith Thomas quoted in the Advertiser in July 2013...

"We are simply asking to retain our under-16s, 18s and reserves sides and a junior zone for the Magpies," Thomas wrote.

Last edited:
The answer is not moving from the SANFL to the VFL. The VFL is the SANFL under another name and the Port Magpies would probably end up being dictated to by Victorian in place of South Aussie idiots. The only answer is an AFL Reserves competition in which all 18 or 19 clubs field a Reserves side. The AFL has prioritised the women's league and a Tasmanian team and procrastinated on the formation of a Reserves competition.
That's basically what the VFL is now. Look at the ladder, top sides are nearly all AFL affiliates. They will split to an AFL reserves before too long, probably just waiting on the SA and WA sides.

I'm in favour of moving our AFL reserves to the VFL - allow them to compete in the same conditions as other AFL sides, and will allow us to keep the Magpies in the SANFL which can then compete on a level playing field with the other SANFL teams. The status quo is getting both our AFL and SANFL (ie AFL reserves) side shafted.

That's basically what the VFL is now. Look at the ladder, top sides are nearly all AFL affiliates. They will split to an AFL reserves before too long, probably just waiting on the SA and WA sides.

I'm in favour of moving our AFL reserves to the VFL - allow them to compete in the same conditions as other AFL sides, and will allow us to keep the Magpies in the SANFL which can then compete on a level playing field with the other SANFL teams. The status quo is getting both our AFL and SANFL (ie AFL reserves) side shafted.
Surely to Christ people don’t actually want to keep a circa 1997 Magpie team seperate from the PAFC again…

Surely to Christ people don’t actually want to keep a circa 1997 Magpie team seperate from the PAFC again…
Wouldn't need to be separate. It would just be subject to the same rules regarding players etc as the other SANFL teams. There's no way the Magpies get any sort of equitable look at things otherwise - the umpiring bias alone is a blatantly clear example of this.

Our AFL reserves players would compete in a separate competition and that would also be better for those players.

Wouldn't need to be separate. It would just be subject to the same rules regarding players etc as the other SANFL teams. There's no way the Magpies get any sort of equitable look at things otherwise - the umpiring bias alone is a blatantly clear example of this.

Our AFL reserves players would compete in a separate competition and that would also be better for those players.
where are all the players coming from??
Assuming that this exact magpies team ie, AFL Bs + top ups, which player pool do we draw from to field a token SANFL team as well?

I absolutely believe the Goldsack should be given the freedom to play-to-win.
They can follow up on the AFL game plan when they train.
Burdening young guys with game plans that might not necessarily support their stage of physical development, against older, uglier, heavier and sometimes wiser oppo seems to be not a good idea to me.
Teaching young guys to win is pretty important. It also instills adaptability in transitioning between SANFL and AFL strategies.

I absolutely believe the Goldsack should be given the freedom to play-to-win.
They can follow up on the AFL game plan when they train.
Burdening young guys with game plans that might not necessarily support their stage of physical development, against older, uglier, heavier and sometimes wiser oppo seems to be not a good idea to me.
Teaching young guys to win is pretty important. It also instills adaptability in transitioning between SANFL and AFL strategies.
I agree. Our young guys should be getting reps and confidence in the SANFL and winning rather than playing the position they will play in the AFL.

Sinn, Mead, Jackson should play in the guts.
Burgoyne up and back, in the middle on occasion.

Accidentally put this in Dante's thread - Watched a bit of the first quarter and the last half on TV - as usual missed our best bits - and John Casey summed it up nicely when he said he tipped Norwood as Port playing 8 teenagers was a big ask. Norwood pump themselves up to play Port, especially at the Parade, and their bigger stronger bodies in trying conditions were always going to be hard to beat.

I liked Visentini's game. He gave some big efforts. Mead works hard and played well. Burgoyne was good but I don't think he did enough damage. Thought we did a good job to restrict them Norwood to 2.2 in the 3rd quarter when they had a strong wind with a bit of parking the bus but we didn't look like scoring more than 2 or 3 times. Last quarter the wind died down but we just weren't stong enough in the contest to break free. Lots of young players make it different.

I agree entirely. There is little point in comparing the past Magpies with today's crop. The situations are entirely different. In the golden era Port Reserves players were mainly recruited from our suburban and country zones. The majority progressed through under age footy for Port and all of them were thoroughly steeped in the Port tradition before they got anywhere near League footy.

In contrast today's players are recruited from interstate or from other SANFL clubs. When the current One Club arrangement was negotiated we fought hard and long to retain our involvement in the SANFL under age competitions but thanks to the small minded attitude of the SANFL it was not to be. To their credit David Koch and Keith Thomas were pretty vocal about us miantaining our under age sides. We are paying for that situation with lack of an internal pathway.

Some time ago I posted that Coaching the Port Magpies in the SANFL is the most difficult task in the Club. The result of the SANFL agreement and the nature of a Reserve side is that the Magpies' side changes from one week to the next. In addition the Port Magpies Coach is limited by a game plan and team placings that are strongly influenced by the AFL Coach. In contrast his opponents have no such constraints. They can select an unchanged side if they choose and have a licence to play the game style they want to play. As far as the SANFL competition goes Port Magpies are not playing on a level playing field. Despite this we have made SANFL Grand Finals in the past but have not been good enough on the day.

I often wonder how much some of the AFL recruits care about the Magpie guernsey or the past. They come to Alberton with one goal in mind- to play AFL football and that is where their focus is.

It doesn't make it any easier but perhaps the bottom line is to remember the Port Magpies are what they are- a Reserves side playing in a league in which the odds are stacked against them. Maybe that is letting the players off the hook but the system is definitely stacked against us and that does not help.
I had a very long chat with Jackson Trengove when he first came to Port on the topic and history of the club and what to expect from supporters. I think he took it on board I think he was a Richmond supporter or he was expecting to get picked up by Richmond can't remember which. But anyway I always liked the Port attitude that he showed when he played with us but unfortunately Hinkley came along.

I had the chance to do the same with Charlie a month or 2 after he came over but I opted to leave him be.

In a way I think some supporters need to have a chat with these guys to let them know what to expect from us because in my opinion Port isn't a normal club. Anyway I think some of these types of discussions with especially the Vic lads are worthwhile because most wouldn't have a clue about SA footy pre AFL.

I suppose it depends whose doing the talking you don't want people garbling crap to them either.

Last edited:

The club does not intend to, but for sake of argument, if it was workable, we could have a league and reserves structure that constitutes only non-AFL players and coaches but is still under the umbrella of PAFC, not separate. Anyway, who knows what the state of sanfl clubs will be when the AFL have reserves, perhaps even control over u18s too.

I suppose it depends who's doing the talking you don't want people garbling crap to them either.
Dunderclod could tell them how bad we were in 2012 and how lucky they'll be if they finish 10th this year.

In a way I think some supporters need to have a chat with these guys to let them know what to expect from us because in my opinion Port isn't a normal club. Anyway I think some of these types of discussions with especially the Vic lads are worthwhile because most wouldn't have a clue about SA footy pre AFL.

I suppose it depends whose doing the talking you don't want people garbling crap to them either.
Yeah, nah… some of the s**t that I hear supporters saying as I walk through shopping centres and down the street as they “explain” all things Port to whoever will listen is cringe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's been going around for awhile.

They want it up and running before Tasmania comes in.
That's so Tasmania can be in it.

There's already 21 teams in the VFL. Going by the VFL ladder, the non-AFL clubs are:
Werribee
Box Hill (aligned to Hawthorn)
Williamstown
Casey (aligned to Melbourne)
Southport
Port Melbourne
Sandringham (aligned to St Kilda)
Frankston
Northern Bullants
Coburg

So, get rid of the 3 alignments and have a 10-team true VFL and punt Southport back to the QAFL. This would mean no requirement for the AFL to fund flights and accommodation in this comp.

WCE, Freo, Port, Crows and Tasmania replace the 3 alignments and the AFL subsidises flights and accommodation as previously. Most of the structure is already there, should be easy. I'll do it for free if that helps.

Last edited:
That's been going around for awhile.

They want it up and running before Tasmania comes in.
They also have the money in 2025. The TV/media deal cash component goes from about $430m this year to about $445m next year and then about $525m in 2025 and ends up at about $660m in 2031.

Isn't it funny no matter how much money they spend on the surface of Norwood Oval for AFL footy, it starts regressing back to being a paddock in a matter of weeks.

Would be happy to never see Francou again, he has been so bad all year.
At our preseason intraclub at the beginning of the year when it was 40 degrees in the shade, after everyone else had packed up Francou came out with Shaun Burgoyne and practiced running at top speed into goals, it was brilliant to watch Shaun giving instructions on footwork, ball drop etc, the kid did it again and again and again and againhe’s obviously really driven, I hope he can turn it around.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back