Grand final viewing overseas

Remove this Banner Ad

Appreciate it, mate - I really struggled to get hold of it last year. Our local Walkabout stopped showing it (you can tell that the Aussie who ran the bar had left, because when I spoke to them by phone to see if they were showing it, they sounded astonished that there was even a sport called "Australian Football") - and it's not looking good for this year. 5 bars in London and 1 in Scotland. Curses!

Symons - plenty of pubs in the Clapham area show it. You've got the Grand (where The Church is now, went there last year - good crowd, but the projection screen was shite and you could hardly see what was going on), Alexandra (opposite Clapham Common station, which I'm giving a shot this year), and there's another small pub in the area that I saw it in 2 years ago that wasn't too bad either (I was hammered that morning and put in a dry tank by the rozzers around 3 in the arvo, hence my hazy memory of the pub). Failing that, Temple Walkie is usually a safe bet.

Symons - plenty of pubs in the Clapham area show it. You've got the Grand (where The Church is now, went there last year - good crowd, but the projection screen was shite and you could hardly see what was going on), Alexandra (opposite Clapham Common station, which I'm giving a shot this year), and there's another small pub in the area that I saw it in 2 years ago that wasn't too bad either (I was hammered that morning and put in a dry tank by the rozzers around 3 in the arvo, hence my hazy memory of the pub). Failing that, Temple Walkie is usually a safe bet.

Temple walkie is a great spot to watch it although you have to pre-book tickets and get there early-ish to lineup up just to get in. Once you're in though there's screens everywhere including a big projector screen in the middle. You can also book a table if you get 10 or more people which is the best way to go but they might be booked out by now

ESPN africa has shown every final live this year. First time ever. Awesome timing. They also show Saturday night games live too which although rarely Hawks games it's still nice to get something. I almost forgot what watching footy live was like :)

If anyone's in a slightly more obscure country - one of ESPN UK and Eurosport2 will show it. You just need to find a bar that has access to these channels.

One thing I've noticed in Russia, is that a lot of sports bars will show events via internet streaming (to avoid paying for the cable TV). If this is the case, I seriously suggest registering here - http://www.afl.livesport.tv/ - paying the fee, and giving the password and login to the bar you wish to go. This is my intention.

Live streams available here for a small fee www.afl.livesport.tv
really good stream and can watch replays as many times as u like

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Live streams available here for a small fee www.afl.livesport.tv
really good stream and can watch replays as many times as u like

Their finals pass is only $20.

The only gripe I have with them is that it often takes them a couple of days to put the replay up.

I havent noticed that.
I've only been watching since just before the start of the finals but I watched us vs the swans and pies games straight away

I watched the 08 GF in the Walkabout with a fellow MCC member and 20/30 people. It was a special game but atmosphere was pretty weak.
We both vowed to never miss another Hawks GF (win or lose) so Im all booked up. Might have put the mozz on them but you just never know when its going to happen again, if you can somehow get home, do it.

I watched the 08 GF in the Walkabout with a fellow MCC member and 20/30 people. It was a special game but atmosphere was pretty weak.
We both vowed to never miss another Hawks GF (win or lose) so Im all booked up. Might have put the mozz on them but you just never know when its going to happen again, if you can somehow get home, do it.

The thing is that I actually do have a ticket to the GF. Unfortunately, circumstances have prevented me from coming back this time round.

I was at the 2008 GF though and will be back for our tilt at back to back flags when we make the GF next year. ;-)

The only gripe I have with them is that it often takes them a couple of days to put the replay up.
They've updated it in the last month or so. Replays seem to go up within a couple of hours now.

Went to the Temple Walkie for all the Origin matches this year. Pretty good setup. Good Chicken Parma too.

Played with the Putney Magpies this year who are sponsored by the Larrik Inn in Putney. I'll be heading there, though it's inconvienient as I live on the northside.

Appreciate your efforts, mate - but my whinge was because I'm a northerner...it's 200 miles down to London and 200 miles up to Scotland.

I don't know if I'm better just watching it at home after the fact. It's keeping away from spoilers that'll be my downfall - I will be filthy if the result is spoilt for me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back