Opinion Greatest Geelong Team of the AFL Era (1990-)

Remove this Banner Ad

Because of the scarred experience?
No I've never had an interest in going.
Was offered free tix and free beers in 89 and I passed.

92 was similar so i did it.
Since then, couldn't be bothered.

I paid $500 to sit in a super box and watch Warne take his 700th. That was the family Xmas day. I had to ring everyone to get clearance.
But I'd do that another 10 times before I did a gf.

My best Geelong team ever - they had to have talent- heart- courage - the will to win - the lot- and they had to play the majority of their career with Geelong

Bews Malarkey Scarlett
Enright J Hawkins Mansfield
Marshall Selwood Bruns
Sharrock Stoneham Ablett snr
Chapman Wade Johnson
Farmer Goggin Ablett jnr

Interchange Ottens Kelly Mooney Polinelli

My best Geelong team ever - they had to have talent- heart- courage - the will to win - the lot- and they had to play the majority of their career with Geelong

Bews Malarkey Scarlett
Marshall Selwood Bruns
Chapman Wade Johnson
Farmer Goggin Ablett jnr

Excuse me, umpire, no G Hocking?:mad:

Bews Malarkey Scarlett
Marshall Selwood Bruns
Chapman Wade Johnson
Farmer Goggin Ablett jnr

This team spans the time I have been following the Cats!

No room for Ian Nankervis?

Stoneham's 1989 finals, particularly the PF, was A grade
His semi against the dees was even better. In pooring rain he was clinking contested marks, playing on and side stepping defenders in single plays. His contested marking and mobility was just phenomenal. Time has badly forgotten how good he was pre broken leg.

How does kelly get in ahead of hocking, bartel, couch?

Or bruns ahead of turner or Riccardi

In the 2009 GF - late in the last qtr - Robert Walls commentating said the following " Kelly has been quite outstanding " - that was never said about Hocking in any GF he played - his GF record was attrocious

Head to Head - i reckon Kelly has got both Couch and Bartel covered - forget about Kelly this year - he was finished - but he was a top notch player for a hell of a long time

Bruns was an extremely good player for a long time - was there in 80/81 when Geelong were very strong and like wise 89-92 - was a brilliant kick - could rove - play on the wing - and had plenty of courage - i think he was captain for a while .Turner as good as he was - was an inferior kick - and could be quite undisciplined at times. Botom line - i think Bruns was a better player - the only ordinary finals game he had was the 92GF - and that was because he was 1st up for about 8 weeks ( returning from an injury ) which was a massive ask

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stoneham's 1989 finals, particularly the PF, was A grade

Stoneham's game in the '92 QF final against Footscray remains one of the best finals games I've seen from a Geelong player; was at the game, Brownless got amongst the goals (9) and Ablett provided some real highlights (two 'lazy' left foot goals from 50 among them), but Stoneham turned the tide when the Dogs were killing us in the middle during the first quarter and early part of the second.
Blight threw him into the ruck and he was absolutely inspirational.

Stoneham's game in the '92 QF final against Footscray remains one of the best finals games I've seen from a Geelong player; was at the game, Brownless got amongst the goals (9) and Ablett provided some real highlights (two 'lazy' left foot goals from 50 among them), but Stoneham turned the tide when the Dogs were killing us in the middle during the first quarter and early part of the second.
Blight threw him into the ruck and he was absolutely inspirational.

Actually got out to 68-34 in their favour when Stoneham got swung into the ruck. By half time it was 88-72 and we had the momentum. Ended up winning by 61 points. We kicked 21 goals to 6 after mid 2nd quarter.
Despite this, the Dogs fancied themselves against the Eagles but couldn't get over us.

Actually got out to 68-34 in their favour when Stoneham got swung into the ruck. By half time it was 88-72 and we had the momentum. Ended up winning by 61 points. We kicked 21 goals to 6 after mid 2nd quarter.
Despite this, the Dogs fancied themselves against the Eagles but couldn't get over us.

I recall Danny Del-Re and Simon Atkins cutting us up early before the Stoneham move.
Barnes must've been having a poor game; he was usually pretty good.

I recall Danny Del-Re and Simon Atkins cutting us up early before the Stoneham move.
Barnes must've been having a poor game; he was usually pretty good.

It was one of those weird games, although they were nearly six goals in front, you felt we were still 'in' the game. My recollection wasn't so much any one move as much as the team lifting. Once they got rolling everyone contributed.

In the 2009 GF - late in the last qtr - Robert Walls commentating said the following " Kelly has been quite outstanding " - that was never said about Hocking in any GF he played - his GF record was atrocious

Perhaps. He has also won four Best and Fairests, while Kelly never came close to winning one. Hocking every time for me.

Head to Head - i reckon Kelly has got both Couch and Bartel covered - forget about Kelly this year - he was finished - but he was a top notch player for a hell of a long time

They're all around the same level. Id probably nominate Bartel of the three.

Bruns was an extremely good player for a long time - was there in 80/81 when Geelong were very strong and like wise 89-92 - was a brilliant kick - could rove - play on the wing - and had plenty of courage - i think he was captain for a while .Turner as good as he was - was an inferior kick - and could be quite undisciplined at times. Botom line - i think Bruns was a better player - the only ordinary finals game he had was the 92GF - and that was because he was 1st up for about 8 weeks ( returning from an injury ) which was a massive ask

I saw a big chunk of that (not all), and to me Turner was easily the better player. Not forgetting how good and fast Turner was in his early years.

It was one of those weird games, although they were nearly six goals in front, you felt we were still 'in' the game. My recollection wasn't so much any one move as much as the team lifting. Once they got rolling everyone contributed.

Stoneham provided the spark; agree that everyone contributed once we started getting on top, but it was his desperation and class that kicked the team into action, and we were well down on the scoreboard. I've seen plenty of Geelong sides roll over when they got a few goals down (we saw it a few weeks later, unfortunately!) but that was a memorable win in that we struck back and struck back hard.

side story: driving in on the way to that game with a mate, we spotted a couple of girls in the back of a mini-van ahead of us, and started carrying on like young idiots do. One looked particularly hot, dark hair, sunglasses ..
At one point I held up my phone number on a bit of paper.
Got to the game, forgot all about the girl, but when I got home that evening my Mum tells me 'some girl' had called for me ... I ended up teeing up a date (I think I was 17 at the time) and met up with her about a week later.

Turned out that without the sunglasses, she was actually extremely cross-eyed. :cool: :drunk:

Thing is, she wasn't that keen on me, and we never saw each other again. :cry:

At least the Cats won handsomely.

Perhaps. He has also won four Best and Fairests, while Kelly never came close to winning one. Hocking every time for me.

They're all around the same level. Id probably nominate Bartel of the three.

I saw a big chunk of that (not all), and to me Turner was easily the better player. Not forgetting how good and fast Turner was in his early years.

Jump on you tube and look at some of our games from late 70's to early 80's and you'll see how good Turner was. Was curtailed by injury through the mid-80's. Still managed 37 goals in 16 games in his final season in 1988.

Ablett was sensational in the second term too. We were down close to 7 goals, he kicked one on the run from fifty then another a few minutes later on the left foot from 55 metres out (nearly cleared the fence) and helped setup a couple in the process. Really lifted the team and we piled on the goals.

What ever happened to that Danny Del-Re? Only played 60 games, booted 8 goals that day, 70 for the year then completely vanished

not sure; bit of Adrian McAdam syndrome?

In the 2009 GF - late in the last qtr - Robert Walls commentating said the following " Kelly has been quite outstanding " - that was never said about Hocking in any GF he played - his GF record was attrocious

So you're basing whole careers on a couple of games, addmitedly important games. Kelly never starred in a GF by the way. He played his part in 07 and 09, but never was close to best on ground and did very little in 11. Ironically Bartel was a star in some GF's. A Norm Smith in 2011 and took Hayes out of the game after quarter time against the Saints in 09 in a very underated performance and you have Kelly ahead of him for what reason? it can't be career and it can't be GF's??? Hocking didn't have the best GF's although he did injury himself in the first quarter of a couple of them and struggled on despite being clearly hampered by injury. Despite Kelly doing more in GF's in a different role to what Hocking had, Kelly ain't in the same league as Hocking. It ain't even debatable.

I loved Bruns but would take Riccardi every single time. Just a better talent. Can't remember enough of Turner to make a comment but think the consensus heavily disagrees with you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back