Opinion Greatest Geelong Team of the AFL Era (1990-)

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't agree then - I was at the game - and don't agree now. Unlike most of Matthews' hits it wasn't behind play, and unlike all of Dipper's there was no raised elbow.

Seriously you cant defend that - if you do your a hypocrit

If it had been a lesser rated player than Milburn - the Cats would have given him the flick - disgraceful incident - and took zero courage from Milburn .

I think Tony Hall had his measure for a short run of games. I saw Ron Deulio kick 5 on him once. Otherwise the only player that I noticed who gave him some grief was Peter Wilson for the Eagles. So could I have I....the ball was down there enough.

In fact that was the name given to me specifically, Tony Hall, as the player they preferred to put on Hinkley - then always look for him. In other words - play down Hinkley's flank.

Now that is not that Ken was not a terrific player but that was one key way our nemesis planned to best us - and it worked a few times . However, to be balanced, against most sides Hinkley was good enough to zone off and get a heap of the footy - and be a key driving force out our backline and into scoring opportunities. Very positive player was our boy Ken.

I just think when it comes to really big games when there is less time, a lot more inferred and actual pressure, it is faster and it is harder that you would go for the Milburn type over the twinkle toes of KH. Just my bias showing I guess.

But if Ken ever did play in a GF and played he played well - it could have been highlights real. He was sort of a SJ of his time and within the confines of the thinking and playing of these time. He backed himself - in his flying marking, in his run and carry thru the midfield from HB to wanting to kick goals from starting at the half back line !

I know time distorts memories but I cannot get the picture of Kenny running down a wing bouncing the ball 3 or 4 times and kicking long at goal. He looked so slow but fluid in his motions - but he was very rarely caught. It was like time slowed just a little around him !

I can't remember everyone sorry but I think John Blakey (Fitzroy/North Melbourne) & Simon Prestigiacomo (Collingwood) were two others on his list. Surprising they were two defenders too.

Yeah I can get that. Prestie was a very effective lock down FB. Didn't get high possessions or many marks but he did a very good job on some big boys often.

What can you say about Blakey ? Seemed to play forever. Another guy that gave 100 % every week - whether in a winning or losing team.

In fact that was the name given to me specifically, Tony Hall, as the player they preferred to put on Hinkley -

I know time distorts memories but I cannot get the picture of Kenny running down a wing bouncing the ball 3 or 4 times and kicking long at goal. He looked so slow but fluid in his motions - but he was very rarely caught. It was like time slowed just a little around him !

Well you have got a lousy memory - in the 92gf in the 3rd qtr - Hinkley had 3 or 4 bounces covered plenty of territory - and let go go a mighty drop punt - and hit the goal post high up - if that had gone through - it would have been one of the all time great GF goals- and unfotunately for Geelong that goal was desperately needed at the time

Seriously you cant defend that - if you do your a hypocrit

If it had been a lesser rated player than Milburn - the Cats would have given him the flick - disgraceful incident - and took zero courage from Milburn .

The word is hypocrite. And yes I can.

It wasn't 2015, when any kind of contact makes supporters dive under the covers trembling. Some physicality was still lingering on in the game. I've said the same things many times - if Milburn had raised an elbow, six weeks, no problem. Or if it was miles off the ball. But it wasn't like that. He used his hip and the ball was right there. If Milburn had been on the receiving end, or any Geelong player, there would have been endless jokes about handbags and all the other usual ignorant s**t. So I don't care whether it was Silvagni or a first gamer. Tough.

Didn't agree then - I was at the game - and don't agree now. Unlike most of Matthews' hits it wasn't behind play, and unlike all of Dipper's there was no raised elbow.
A lot of this thread will go over my head, just too young but I was at that game as a 11y.o I think, wearing my woollen #39 cats jumper, I was made to take it off for fear we'd be abused walking out of the ground. Can't comment on all of Matthews' and Dipper's thuggery naturally (although Dipper was a drug cheat) but I'd have to say that what he did to SOS deserved suspension but wasn't as cowardly as an act as say Barry Hall on Staker or Solomon on Ling (or Yze on Slade for that matter) but the bit I was most disappointed about what revving up the crowd whilst being dragged to the bench that was classless imo.

those who were at the game have said it was the most intense they have seen. Carlton supporters were literally ready to jump the fence

That was certainly my recollection of the day. Pretty sour note for Buddha to bow out on.

A lot of this thread will go over my head, just too young but I was at that game as a 11y.o I think, wearing my woollen #39 cats jumper, I was made to take it off for fear we'd be abused walking out of the ground. Can't comment on all of Matthews' and Dipper's thuggery naturally (although Dipper was a drug cheat) but I'd have to say that what he did to SOS deserved suspension but wasn't as cowardly as an act as say Barry Hall on Staker or Solomon on Ling (or Yze on Slade for that matter) but the bit I was most disappointed about what revving up the crowd whilst being dragged to the bench that was classless imo.

Well said. The part in bold describes it perfectly.

Well you have got a lousy memory - in the 92gf in the 3rd qtr - Hinkley had 3 or 4 bounces covered plenty of territory - and let go go a mighty drop punt - and hit the goal post high up - if that had gone through - it would have been one of the all time great GF goals- and unfotunately for Geelong that goal was desperately needed at the time

That should have read - 'I cannot get the picture out of my head (when I think of Kenny) of him running down the wing bouncing the ball ......' So what I am saying is we agree.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

3 teams remain in the herald sun's greatest teams of the AFL era. Us, weagles and dawks. Interesting to see who comes out on top.
COUNTDOWN SO FAR

16th: Richmond
15th: Melbourne
14th: Fremantle
13th: Western Bulldogs
12th: Port Adelaide
11th: St Kilda
10th: Adelaide
9th: North Melbourne
8th: Collingwood
7th: Essendon
6th: Sydney
5th: Brisbane
4th: Carlton

COUNTDOWN SO FAR

16th: Richmond
15th: Melbourne
14th: Fremantle
13th: Western Bulldogs
12th: Port Adelaide
11th: St Kilda
10th: Adelaide
9th: North Melbourne
8th: Collingwood
7th: Essendon
6th: Sydney
5th: Brisbane
4th: Carlton

A little surprised Carton made it to 4th largely off the one great year. By that logic, Essendon would have been higher. Also Lions 5th????

A little surprised Carton made it to 4th largely off the one great year. By that logic, Essendon would have been higher. Also Lions 5th????
Agree 100% about Carlton. The author must be a Blues supporter!

With Brisbane, their dominance was confined to a period of 4-5 years out of 26 years. In the same period Geelong figured in 17 finals series for 3 premierships; Hawthorn in 16 series for 5 premierships; and Eagles in 18 finals series for 3 premierships.

On this basis, you'd have to say Hawks will come in at 1, WCE 2, and Geelong, 3.

Edit: Jon Anderson is author, and his argument is that the Carlton best boasts a “best of” line-up that has every base covered. Very inconsistent approach.

Last edited:
good thread and solid effort at putting forth a team, Seeds, gave me a good starting point ..

I'll have a crack, although there's some really tough choices, most of which have already been identified in this thread -
anyway :

B : D. Milburn M. Scarlett T. Harley
HB : C. Enright H. Taylor K. Hinkley

C : P. Riccardi J. Bartel J. Corey

HF : P. Chapman B. Stoneham S. Johnson
F : G. Ablett sr C. Mooney R. Burns

R : B. Ottens G. Hocking G. Ablett jr

I/C : J. Selwood C. Ling J. Barnes P. Couch

could pretty easily make up a 2nd side with unlucky candidates; particularly James Kelly and Mick Mansfield.

Nailed 1st choice team.

2nd's.

Lonergan Graham Hunt
Wojo Egan Mackie
Byrnes Pickering Varcoe
Mansfield Brownless Rooke
N Ablett Hawkins Stokes
King Kelly Bairstow
McGrath Sholl Duncan Motlop

Nailed 1st choice team.

2nd's.

Lonergan Graham Hunt
Wojo Egan Mackie
Byrnes Pickering Varcoe
Mansfield Brownless Rooke
N Ablett Hawkins Stokes
King Kelly Bairstow
McGrath Sholl Duncan Motlop
I don't see how mooney gets in ahead of brownless or hawkins. Or how s.byrnes get in the first four sides let alone the second team. Especially when you leave out players who have captained the club such a.bews from the seconds team.

Jon Anderson had Mick Turner give him a hand with our team. I tried posting a link but failed.

The main omissions that I didn't agree with were Hinkley, Mansfield, King and Bairstow

Remove this Banner Ad

Back