News Hawthorn in the media 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Just like last years thread, whatever Barrett has to say is not Hawthorn in the media.

Couldn’t care less for his s**t takes, they don’t belong here.

Nice editing here.

I don't hate Kaneo like most posters seem to, and I think at the core of it is because - yes, he's being intentionally inflammatory, but he's also honest about it, and is willing to change his mind and walk back statements if needed. The journalists I can't stand are the ones who are inflammatory and pretend that they're not, and/or refuse to change their minds or walk back anything, or possibly even worse, just toe the line on everything.

Plus he's so glowing about Sam. Can't hate him.

I don't hate Kaneo like most posters seem to, and I think at the core of it is because - yes, he's being intentionally inflammatory, but he's also honest about it, and is willing to change his mind and walk back statements if needed. The journalists I can't stand are the ones who are inflammatory and pretend that they're not, and/or refuse to change their minds or walk back anything, or possibly even worse, just toe the line on everything.

I agree with this partially, he is miles better than Barrett. He does offer something and some insight. Its far better than Barrett just bending reality to bang home an agenda despite being proven completely wrong.

What I don't like with Cornes how critical and how much pressure he puts on people for the slightest mistakes, or form, or what he perceives as being hypocritical etc, etc, yet his own mistakes, which he makes regularly, he just goes 'my bad', and moves on with no consequence and on he goes. He brings the blowtorch on others for standards, but its fine for him to throw around opinions at anything and everything and even though he is often wrong there is no accountability.

I agree with this partially, he is miles better than Barrett. He does offer something and some insight. Its far better than Barrett just bending reality to bang home an agenda despite being proven completely wrong.

What I don't like with Cornes how critical and how much pressure he puts on people for the slightest mistakes, or form, or what he perceives as being hypocritical etc, etc, yet his own mistakes, which he makes regularly, he just goes 'my bad', and moves on with no consequence and on he goes. He brings the blowtorch on others for standards, but its fine for him to throw around opinions at anything and everything and even though he is often wrong there is no accountability.

part of being in high profile roles these days is dealing with media- good & bad. rightly or wrongly

Kane’s an entertainer not a footy journo. He freely admits to taking his cue from the American sports school of hot takes which is all about coming up with a contrarian position and defending it to the death, and then doing it all again the next day, even if it contradicts the previous take.

I don’t hate him like some people, I actually enjoy it from an entertainment perspective. But you can’t take anything he says beyond a grain of salt as not even he believes half the things he says.

It’s why Caro gets credit for actually going on the record last year and saying “Sorry Sam, I was wrong”.

They all did the 180 then laughed at Damo as if it was all his idea. Precious
There's absolutely nothing wrong with doing a 180 and admitting you were wrong, which is what Caro and other proper journos did.

They laughed at Purple - and quite rightly so - because he was too stubborn to admit he was wrong.

I wonder whether Kingy types just hated Clarko. Media seems to like Sammy in the main which is weird because he was the biggest smart arse of all time on the field …

I liked it btw. Man after my heart

View attachment 1896822
I really don't think the AFL world is ready for Hawthorn to be good again and nor do I think they can handle it. But quite frankly IDGAF 😂😂😂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing that made my ears spike was when after King mentions 'Ginnivan and we all know what he does and Watson did the same a couple of times' was right after it he says 'defenders better get their tackling technique right'. This IMO can go either one of two ways and I'm really hoping it's the second: 1) Ginnivan keep doing his serial ducking and Watson follows suit which makes the umpires not call anything even when the high frees are there OR 2) just play the ball and not duck at all and the frees will come naturally.

Either way I predict the free kick Hawthorn thing will return and it's gonna be glorious 😂

helooksglorious-old.gif

The thing that made my ears spike was when after King mentions 'Ginnivan and we all know what he does and Watson did the same a couple of times' was right after it he says 'defenders better get their tackling technique right'. This IMO can go either one of two ways and I'm really hoping it's the second: 1) Ginnivan keep doing his serial ducking and Watson follows suit which makes the umpires not call anything even when the high frees are there OR 2) just play the ball and not duck at all and the frees will come naturally.

Either way I predict the free kick Hawthorn thing will return and it's gonna be glorious 😂

View attachment 1897379
If Watson ducks he'll just go under that tackle and through their legs. IF he doesn't duck they'll still miss or get him high.

I wonder whether Kingy types just hated Clarko. Media seems to like Sammy in the main which is weird because he was the biggest smart arse of all time on the field …

I liked it btw. Man after my heart

View attachment 1896822
Sam opened Hawthorn back up to the media. Made himself available regularly to Kane and Kingy on their Friday show. Players were also made available for more interviews which builds their profiles in the media and will help them get their due recognition for the numerous media voted awards.

It's honestly one of his best moves as senior coach in terms of the off field stuff. Just look at how much freedom Chris Scott has had over the years to set the agenda to the benefit of Geelong just by doing AFL360 every Monday night. With any luck Sam will soon be able to swing that gig too.

Coaches like Clarko and Malthouse were brilliant on field but they constantly treated the media like adversaries and it did them no favours.

Sam opened Hawthorn back up to the media. Made himself available regularly to Kane and Kingy on their Friday show. Players were also made available for more interviews which builds their profiles in the media and will help them get their due recognition for the numerous media voted awards.

It's honestly one of his best moves as senior coach in terms of the off field stuff. Just look at how much freedom Chris Scott has had over the years to set the agenda to the benefit of Geelong just by doing AFL360 every Monday night. With any luck Sam will soon be able to swing that gig too.

Coaches like Clarko and Malthouse were brilliant on field but they constantly treated the media like adversaries and it did them no favours.
So did Kennedy and Jeans and to a lesser extent Parko. It was a different time however.

I don't think I have seen a better media player then Sam Mitchell.

For me it started with Clinton Grybas on White Line Fever and like with most things he seems to do, he has only continued to improve.

If you can help to improve Hawthorn, I honestly believe Sam will try to help you.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back