Review Hawthorn versus Sydney Swans, MCG, 7.40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

You could argue that hill should have got the free for a low tackle, below the knees, the ABC commentators said hill should have got the free, the play on call was correct by the ump. Overall the swans as usual were in front on the free kick count on the night.
Check the replay, mals left hand is above hills left knee, as agreed upon on the hawks board.

Yes, but then the tackle slips below the knees, academic anyway as hill gets away the handball.
I thought it slipped low too, but then I checked the replay. It is clear it does not. Last minute of 3rd qtr, 3rd camera angle from left, check it out. Even hawks are acknowledging it. Caught cold.

Once upon a time slipped low indicated the player was trying to take on the tackler and thus gave up prior!

When I was taught to umpire 14 years ago I was told that the tackle starting point is important and if slipped because the player tried to break the tackle... Then it would be deemed a legal tackle. Was holding the ball for sure

I thought it slipped low too, but then I checked the replay. It is clear it does not. Last minute of 3rd qtr, 3rd camera angle from left, check it out. Even hawks are acknowledging it. Caught cold.

Agreed

Look best team won the game, but we got a lot of missed frees

Though ted was lucky once, evens out, just frustrating when it is in the goal square

I always think if your good enough you win

Agreed

Look best team won the game, but we got a lot of missed frees

Though ted was lucky once, evens out, just frustrating when it is in the goal square

I always think if your good enough you win
Same here, we didn't deserve to win, hawks did more when it counted. I'm strangely ok with it though because I know we played well below our best.

Hill did get the handball away eventually so play on is the correct call, you could say he took along time to get that handball away but that's the way they umpire it these days.

Hill did get the handball away eventually so play on is the correct call, you could say he took along time to get that handball away but that's the way they umpire it these days.
Caught cold and they come to a stop laying down. Free every-day-of-the-week. Don't take my word for it, hawks on your own board admit it.

Anybody else notice the 2 or 3 center bounces in the last quarter where we were 2 short in the middle with arguing and confusion on who was supposed to be in there?

Paints a pretty decent picture of how switched on we were.

Anybody else notice the 2 or 3 center bounces in the last quarter where we were 2 short in the middle with arguing and confusion on who was supposed to be in there?

Paints a pretty decent picture of how switched on we were.

Yeah it started when we got to our biggest lead, would be less frustrating to be smashed

But we had the game to the point where you dared to think heres a big win. Credit to the hawks fighting spirit. But the way we started to panic in the middle was poor

He took long enough to be tackled dead, you can swing the hawks around 720 degrees and get nothing

Stop feeding him. Just think of his tears on gf day and smile quietly to yourself. You can basically smell the fear on their board despite the win.

The banter doesnt bother me

As you say we know who the better side is, 10 point win at home with half our side down, good luck next time hawthorn

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We got a good run with the umpiring early in the 2nd I thought. Probably got the rough end of the stick in the last. Overall it was our errors and inability to get some outside run happening that cost us in the end.

I felt it was all the players they took from other clubs that did us

You did see the free kick count right?

While we were on the favored end of the free kick count you received at least two which were unjustified and up to four that shouldn't have received (ducking head in back pocket where umpire said you ducked and second umpire paid it, hodge taking dive running into franklin in first, ridiculous soft against Kennedy in last where he was alleged to have blocked in circumstances where he turned to receive the ball and ducking by Mitchell in centre square which also lead directly to goal) and there were a number which weren't paid to us that could have been in any other game including hill where he was tackled, allowed to roll around onto his back and then dispose, kicking in danger by Lewis in the third which led directly to hawthorn goal, two htb including a blindingly obvious one in the fourth where your player burst through the first tackle and was tackled and dropped the ball thirty meters out directly in front for us and the non paid mark to goodes.

In reality you got the run of the umpires on the night. I am not complaining about the result and don't think the umpires played a super significant role given that I do think the better side on the night won, but only someone who is completely biased could possibly have concluded that you didn't get a good go.

I also think people have been a little harsh on Goodes, but there's no doubt his opponents are hurting us the other way because of his inability to turn. All up it was an above average game from him.

I also think that while Smith was beaten, he wasn't that bad ....

Average game 4 goals (should have been 5). Not bad. Goodes also draws opponents like bees to honey.

Smith had trouble staying upright last night. Wrong studs ? Who knows. I kept shouting at him to get the f*k up off the ground. Obviously he didn't hear me as I was watching a delayed download on my laptop.

Would help if we weren't always delivering the ball to him in the pocket, and if the umpires gave him the same laxity they gave the hawthorn forwards i the placement of the mark. It looked like the pushed Lance to a more acute angle (from where he actually took the mark) several times.

When Buddy has Goodes, Reid and Tippet as contested marking forward options he should look to pass rather than always taking the impossible 'highlight reel' shot. Great when they come off but when they don't (and they usually don't) it's just a behind for us and a kick out to set up the opposition attack.

I love watching Buddy play but I'd be happy to see him feeding the other forwards sometimes, as Hawks had him doing in 2013.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back