Roast Herald Sun | Paywall starts here

Remove this Banner Ad

Caro has drawn the parallel (between the thumbs up for McGuire and the sacking of Rendell).

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/...guire-must-be-disciplined-20130530-2neuc.html

Offering one's resignation has become something of a habit for club chiefs in this tumultuous and scandal-ridden season but there was no better bet than McGuire on Thursday winning the backing of his board and the endorsement of AFL chief Andrew Demetriou.

The AFL CEO admitted he had spoken too soon ... but the fact remained his default position was to defend McGuire.

Collingwood would not suspend McGuire any more than Essendon would stand down James Hird. Had McGuire's name been Greg Westaway (St Kilda) ... he would have stepped down by now at the very least pending his racial vilification charge.

Had Matthew Knights, not Hird, overseen the pharmacological experimentation at Essendon, never adequately checked or controlled and from which players are still not fully aware of what they have taken, he would be finished.

If McGuire has escaped lightly ... the same cannot be said for Matt Rendell ... following a private meeting with two AFL officials in which Rendell allegedly invoked a scenario in which only indigenous players with one white parent would be taken by clubs.

Rendell has always denied much of what was reported as well as the tone of the conversation but he was sacked as soon as the media exposed him.

Come on guys, turn the TV on. It's not racism if it's coming from somebody like Eddie McGuire. He made a gaffe. He was tired. He wasn't thinking what actually came out of his mouth. He has a great reputation on these issues. That 13 year old girl on the other hand......what a racist.

Insidious racism isn't the most obvious. The 13 year old girl calling out "Ape" is obvious and what all fair minded people see and recognise as completely unacceptable.

The far less obvious, but often more widespread are those examples that instead imply racial overtones. The jokes, remarks, comments, that are passed off as humour, or harmless, are worse, as they reinforce racial stereotypes.

Eddie's comments on Western Sydney and falafel's and also on Adam Goodes promoting King Kong, are not harmless and should not be left unchallenged. Eddie has history and attempts to promote himself and Collingwood, as the champions of racial tolerance, when the truth is far from this.

Insidious racism isn't the most obvious. The 13 year old girl calling out "Ape" is obvious and what all fair minded people see and recognise as completely unacceptable.

The far less obvious, but often more widespread are those examples that instead imply racial overtones. The jokes, remarks, comments, that are passed off as humour, or harmless, are worse, as they reinforce racial stereotypes.

Eddie's comments on Western Sydney and falafel's and also on Adam Goodes promoting King Kong, are not harmless and should not be left unchallenged. Eddie has history and attempts to promote himself and Collingwood, as the champions of racial tolerance, when the truth is far from this.

My post was sarcastic. I think that it was disgusting that Eddie could highlight what a disgusting thing AN UNEDUCATED 13 YEAR OLD GIRL said and then say exactly the same thing and make excuses that it wasn't racism. He knows what is racism.
Eddie McGuire and the Collingwood Football Club are quick to threaten banning a racist member for shouting racism from the stands but when it's their president it suddenly isn't an issue and they publicly back him. Whichever way you look at it it's a shocking case of double standards.

My post was sarcastic. I think that it was disgusting that Eddie could highlight what a disgusting thing AN UNEDUCATED 13 YEAR OLD GIRL said and then say exactly the same thing and make excuses that it wasn't racism. He knows what is racism.
Eddie McGuire and the Collingwood Football Club are quick to threaten banning a racist member for shouting racism from the stands but when it's their president it suddenly isn't an issue and they publicly back him. Whichever way you look at it it's a shocking case of double standards.

*For the record I think what the girl said was totally unacceptable too in case I wasn't clear about that in my post.

No worries. Apologies didn't pick up sarcasm.

No worries. Apologies didn't pick up sarcasm.

The internet, ruining sarcasm.Never comes across on internet, really need sarcasm button!!

sarcasm-on-the-internet.jpeg

Collingwood are the antithesis if racial tolerance. They even promote anti social behaviour through their pitiful excuse for human beings - the Collingwood army. Sure, individually one or two may be alright, but as a mob they are deplorable.

Squiz should inquire if we can get a sarcasm button (and a variety of others to add to our postings) lol

PRESS HERE to display HUMOUR graphic to appear

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I could probably just use a sig and it would be right for most of mine.

There are some great signatures on here. On the Saints forum some of these include:

Perservering Saint:
Red symbolises sacrifice. White symbolises integrity. Black symbolises power.

Half Back Pocket:
FRANTELLE (Collingwood) "If a team had 22 Lenny Hayes' playing for them they would win 10 flags in a row.
He is a man of men. Kind of guy you would follow into war. My favourite non Collingwood player to watch by far"

Baldur:
Annar sonur Óðins er Baldur (no idea what this means, but intrigues me each time I see a Baldur post)

Falchoon:
memo AFL: next indigenous round, give Collingwood the bye.

The Punter:
And that's doesn't include the five goals the umpires gifted our opposition last game we played.

Squizzy
every now & then you need to flush

and my favourite

Armo:
"Tommy Walsh will be the next Nick Riewoldt" - My Dad in 2011.

(no idea what this means, but intrigues me each time I see a Baldur post)

It's from the Poetic Edda, a clelction of nordic poems often about their gods, in this case, Baldur / Balder / Baldr is Odinson, son of Odin & Frigg, ergo since frigg could see portents of the future Baldr inherited this gift/curse, he foresaw his own death (engineered by Loki which then sent Baldr to Hel (both place and woman ruler also known as Hela) the Poetic Edda is basically a recount of Baldrs life with the Prose being his death.

The long and short of it is, that loosely translates to "the second son of Odin is Baldr".

Anywho, this is one of those times where having a media persona is detrimental to your health. As Eddie does need to STFU about it as he's simply digging a hole irregardless of what his intent was and the story is lingering like a bad smell.

It's from the Poetic Edda, a clelction of nordic poems often about their gods, in this case, Baldur / Balder / Baldr is Odinson, son of Odin & Frigg, ergo since frigg could see portents of the future Baldr inherited this gift/curse, he foresaw his own death (engineered by Loki which then sent Baldr to Hel (both place and woman ruler also known as Hela) the Poetic Edda is basically a recount of Baldrs life with the Prose being his death.

The long and short of it is, that loosely translates to "the second son of Odin is Baldr".

Anywho, this is one of those times where having a media persona is detrimental to your health. As Eddie does need to STFU about it as he's simply digging a hole irregardless of what his intent was and the story is lingering like a bad smell.

Can foresee the future, mmmm he could be a handy addition to our recruiting department.

Oh ... my ... god (can anyone else hear the sound of the bottom of the barrel being scraped?) Apologies that I felt the need to expose you guys to this arseclown.

2011 "Daily Filth columnist Andrew Bolt has lost an action brought in the Federal Court in which the columnist was accused of breaching the Racial Discrimination Act. There were cheers and applause in the court when Justice Mordecai Bromberg read out his verdict. Bolt (in his best impersonation of a guy with a little moustache) "This is a terrible day for freedom of speech in this country.''

2013 :
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/op...es-not-the-bully/story-fni0ffxg-1226650913020

I detest racists (obviously except when it's him). But the monstering of the Collingwood fan who shouted at Sydney footballer Adam Goodes is shameful.

Collingwood was being thrashed (???) and when the bearded Goodes (!!!!) took another possession in front of her, she shouted "ape".

Goodes heard the abuse, and pointed her out to security. A bit over the top, since she's so young, but Goodes has Aboriginal ancestry and no doubt understandably feels such insults more keenly than I think reasonable. o_O

Still, he's widely admired, has been showered with almost every prize in footy, and was playing in the Indigenous Round honouring players of his background. What should one girl's abuse matter against all that?

I suspect the Indigenous Round also encouraged them to see the girl as a white racist caricature instead of just one very young teenager. So security marched her off, without even her Nan for support.

Police then grilled her for nearly two hours - two hours! - even though she was immediately repentant. Bravely, she offered to apologise personally to Goodes.

Goodes even said he felt like he was being bullied at school.

Excuse me, but in this confrontation - with Goodes, police, the media, the social media and the AFL on one side, and a 13-year-old girl on the other - it wasn't the girl who seemed the bully.

There's something you left out - he had a crack at channel 10 and media orgs for showing pictures of the girl, completely ignoring that SHE'D BEEN NAMED AND PHOTOGRAPHED ON THE FRONT OF HIS OWN PAPER THE PREVIOUS DAY!

OMG. THE HYPOCRISY JUST. NEVER. STOPS. WITH THAT MAN.

That toilet paper publication is now going front page screaming :

"Michael Long tells WHY WE NEED EDDIE"

But here's what he actually said in relation to the hypocrite and moving forward:

"It's not about crucifying people; I've been through that, I've seen the hatred, I've touched it and I don't like it."

"It's not about payback or agendas. It's about leadership from all sides. I said to Goodesy, 'Go away and play good football', focus on what he can do best. From the other side, I said, 'Ed, let's go away and tackle racism in sport in the wider community', and we've been trying to do that with The Long Walk, but what can we do next?"

Nup, no mentioned of that headline. Bit of a difference.

Who sais he's intelligent , he was a host on "millionaire" not a contestant, and even if he was born smart all those years on " the footy show " would have dummed him up.

Funny you should mention that.

Imagine how much dirty laundry there is that we don't know about.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-a-boys-club-says-knight-20130531-2nhgn.html

Former Essendon board member Beverly Knight ''The AFL Commission is charged with upholding the values and integrity of the game at all costs, and this year it seems to me much effort is going into mitigating the deeds of mates,''

''The reality check for the commission is they cannot control the players and officials, the boys club, and all that involves.''
''My experience is we are a long way off yet, and my ordeal with Eddie McGuire nearly 10 years ago, where there was no support when he racially vilified one of my staff on The Footy Show, has all come flooding back,''

The issue she recalled occurred in 2004 when Knight protested against the ridicule of a female football supporter, Jiin-Wen Ewe, on the Channel Nine television program then hosted by McGuire.

Knight wrote a letter to McGuire - and also sent a copy to Demetriou and then-Collingwood director Sally Capp - to complain about Sam Newman's mocking of Ewe's name and the racist and sexist overtones on a television segment.

Knight added that she considered the case nine years ago with Ewe as strike one.

McGuire needed to shut up
On Friday, this columnist wrote that the treatment of Eddie McGuire has demonstrated, not for the first time, that some individuals remain bigger than the game itself and there are rules for some and different rules for others.
Certainly, given Eddie McGuire's disappointing propensity to transform his original racist insult into a running commentary, the game should look at the handling of the aftermath of such incidents in future.
Surely it was time for McGuire to stop talking and start serving his penance.
If no one else was brave enough to suspend him, he should have suspended himself from his media commitments at least until next week.
Initially, McGuire's overlong press conference saw him refuse to acknowledge he had racially vilified Goodes, a position he changed by Fox Footy's AFL 360 that night. In between came 3AW, not to mention his daily breakfast show. Through it all, the shattered and drained Goodes remained silent.

Those that thought Hitler was just a misunderstood prankster might buy into this guy's rubbish. Pretending that you criticized McGuire when you didn't? That's just weird.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/op...to-eddie-mcguire/story-fni0ffxg-1226655437320

I apologise to Eddie McGuire. I'm sorry I attacked him last week, when the screeching New Racists were already bashing him beyond all reason.

The New Racists - Leftist crusaders wanting us divided by race-based laws, entitlements and grievances - refused to see the girl for what she was.

They refused to accept her word she meant nothing racist by her insult to the bearded Goodes, who has Aboriginal ancestry.

She was publicly named and shamed, marched crying out of the stadium and interviewed by police for an astonishing two hours without her parents present.

Now it's the turn of McGuire, the Collingwood president and media star, to be flogged without mercy, after he suggested on radio Goodes be used to promote the musical King Kong.

I am ashamed I helped a vile mob to punish McGuire more than is remotely fair, pushing him to tears.

McGuire, who should be judged not just for one bitterly regretted "joke" (A SHAME THAT IT'S GETTING UP TOWARDS 10 OF THESE, THEN)

By pointing out the girl, Goodes may even have made racists think twice about screaming abuse, but all this comes at a cost, some to Goodes personally.

First, he has given racists even more power, especially over him.

They know the word "ape" is all it takes to make Goodes feel "gutted".

Second, the New Racists who vilified a 13-year-old so pitilessly have shown they will burn even a child at the stake for their cause.

Many Australians seem appalled by this lack of compassion or proportion, and they need not be racists to conclude the militant anti-racist agenda is a public menace.

This is an immigrant land, and we will tear ourselves to pieces if we start treating each other as representatives of "races".

... multiculturalism, special grants for the least assimilated, Koori courts, Indigenous Rounds, race-based teams, race-based jobs, race-based benefits, and now a push to recognise Aborigines in the Constitution.

Aboriginal children being removed from loving foster families and returned to dangerous homes because their carers are white and they must be raised "black".

Sorry, Eddie, for sinking the slipper.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back