Holland to be delisted???

Remove this Banner Ad

kant eyes

Rookie
Jun 4, 2006
Kingston
AFL Club
Collingwood
I have just watched both the 02 & 03 grand final to watch Buckley run around again just in case he does not make it back, and I stumbled across similar observations that have troubled me for the last few years.

All Holland does is tag, and many a time he appears to have no spatial awareness of where the play is heading i.e he does not anticipate, moreover, he tends to be a ruff little nut, which granted is a good thing but one must know how to kick the bloody football as well and be able to read the play, and I dont think he does that too well.

He has been a solid clubman I give him that but I think in this day and age taggers need to also have a creative element about their game, and also execute kicking skills with precision because the game is so fast, if you dont the rebound will kill ya.

These are the observations that form the basis of my rant which leads me to ask: could we not use him as trade bait and train up toovey for his role, because IMO toovs knows how to kick the footy, doesnt mind a bit of ruff stuff and has a fair bit of awareness about him?

Trading dutchy might be handy to gain an extra in and under midfielder who can kick to CHF regularly from clearances for us?

I value your opinions!

why would you watch 2 losing grand finals just to watch buckley???

surely theres better games for you to watch him in.

Your thread title is a bit misleading as I don't think there is any chance he will be just plain cut from the list but he may be trade bait.

He'll have to learn to walk without a limp before he'll be trade bait. Then he'll have to learn to get a hard touch and then he'll have to bring his skill level up to virtually any of the kids, then he'll have to learn to move as fast etc etc.

Nope, there is absolutely zero chance he will be delisted at seasons end or even be traded. I think some people are a little harsh on him, his importance last year was evident in the games we missed him and although we have improved in our depth this year and whilst he hasnt featured regularly this season he is still able (with good form) to be consistently in our best 22. I would have him ahead of Licuria too by the way.

Nope, there is absolutely zero chance he will be delisted at seasons end or even be traded. I think some people are a little harsh on him, his importance last year was evident in the games we missed him and although we have improved in our depth this year and whilst he hasnt featured regularly this season he is still able (with good form) to be consistently in our best 22. I would have him ahead of Licuria too by the way.
I agree but he is severely hampered by injury at the moment after a very easy start to the year. Not getting younger, was very important but he is not good enough to be the best 22 unless fully fit as he doesn't have the skill or spatial awareness of a buckley/hird

Trading dutchy might be handy to gain an extra in and under midfielder who can kick to CHF regularly from clearances for us?

You realise people aren't going to swap an in-and-under clearance guy for a 27-year-old tagger who struggles to make the side, right?

Your thread title is a bit misleading as I don't think there is any chance he will be just plain cut from the list but he may be trade bait.

Disagree with this. Holland has replaced Licuria as veteran-player-most-likely-to-be-cut. He has almost no trade value, especially if we continue with the so-called "youth policy". He'll be 28 in jan.

Holland has replaced Licuria as veteran-player-most-likely-to-be-cut. He has almost no trade value, especially if we continue with the so-called "youth policy". He'll be 28 in jan.[/quote]

28 next year as opposed to Lica's 30. He is alot better than Lica especially by disposal (may not be the best in our team but at least Brodie doesn't just bomb away or constantly miss targets). Plus he is capable of not just being a tagger but as he showed in 2005 and 2006, he is able to win his own ball AND push forward and have scoreboard impact (something Lica's game lacks).

Holland > Lica.

WHAT!? .... He was one of our best last season.
It never ceases to amaze me how quick people get off the 'Band Wagon' as soon as a player is injured. Lets delist Bucks too.

No hang on to Brodie for another year. However there is DEFINATELY not room for all three of Obree, Licca and Holland. 1 must go, and all 3 must NOT play together.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No hang on to Brodie for another year. However there is DEFINATELY not room for all three of Obree, Licca and Holland. 1 must go, and all 3 must NOT play together.

O'Bree has been a revelation this year, I have had my issues with him in the past but I have been very impressed thisyear -t he quiet acheaver this year - may even finish top 10 Copeland!!!!!

O'Bree has been a revelation this year, I have had my issues with him in the past but I have been very impressed thisyear -t he quiet acheaver this year - may even finish top 10 Copeland!!!!!

Obree is the one I would hold onto, however his disposal is still poor. But yes, he is playing well most of the time.

P.S. We badly need a young gun in and under player.

You are spot on. I'd definitely keep O'Bree since he's (unfortunately) our best clearance guy, the other two should go. Anyone who's saying Lica has been good of late - there's no room for a player who's a 50/50 shot to turn the ball over each time he touches it in a premiership team.

It's funny that whenever the question arises of acquiring a late-20's player from another club everyone is up in arms about YOUTH POLICY, but refuse to ever apply it to our own players.
Your allegiance should be to the club, not to individual players.

I might as well put my 2 cents in .....

(1) Holland will not be delisted at season's end
(2) Really not sure who would want him either if traded? He would have to part of a package deal of somesort like Steak Knives was.
(3) IMO Broadie is just fine playing his days out in Black and White .... and it is so true people have forgotten what form he had last year before getting injured. He was up there indeed.
(4) For someone that was a forward pocket and then became tagger he should be chippping in for more goals. Not sure why MM does give him the opportunity to pitch hit every now again .... especially if he's tagging and floated down the forward line surely they might try a quick rotatation of somesort for a cheeky goal?
(5) Nothing shits me more than a Broadie lofty chip to a player. He can kick the ball anyway he wants if he's going for goal but please Broadie get rid of your lofty chips especially when there's traffic around. I can't imagine your team mates appreciating it either.
(6) His girlfriend looks HOT wearing just a Collingwood jumper! :D

Pics!

She looks hot in anything.

Yeah she does .... and in fact I think she would look the hottest IN MY PANTS!!! (boom boom)

Unfortunately I don't have any pics of her just wearing the Collingwood jumper though I'm pretty sure she said she did this for Brodie once. (re: interview on the footy show about 2 months back). But in my own mind it was me she did it for. :rolleyes::p:thumbsu:

I've been a supporter of Holland over the last two or three years because I like the bit of mongrel he adds to the team. But he's been poor this year. I think he needs to lose a little muscle off his upper body because he's lost a little agility and pace off the mark IMO.

I think he's probably safe this year. It's a weak draft and we'll have latish picks, so I can't see us delisting too many. Still, to be absolutely safe, he'd want to play some good footy between now and the end of the season.

Holland has been disappointing this year even accounting for his suspension and injury delayed start. I think he still has a role to play so I’d be happy to keep him but if an offer came up it would have to be considered. He’s in a group of players that should be considered if the trade return is reasonable in order to upgrade draft picks so we can target players or add more top end draftees to the list. The usual suspects are still the usual suspects and the ruck is not closer to being adequate than it has been since it arguably cost us a flag. O’Bree, Lockyer, Holland and Licuria all have something to offer but individually or collectively they represent various aspects of our midfield that we need to improve. Primarily pace but also penetrating footskills and in some cases decision making. It would be dangerous to trade/delist all now though, particularly given Buckley is much less likely to play let alone be a midfielder and Burns is nearing the end. We showed uncharacteristic bravery and resolve in trading Tarrant. The list restructure is not complete yet though.

We still have to promote Clarke and possibly Wellingham though, so we'll need at least four vacancies.

Wakelin, Davies, probably Bucks, and one to three others.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back