Strategy How do we improve our ruck stocks?

Remove this Banner Ad

The Rusty Trombone

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 1, 2007
K Mart Car Park
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
World Donkey Punch Championships
Who would you have used our second round pick on in the draft ? Would you have used it on another midfield type , half back or maybe a 3rd tall marking type as back up for Lennon once he pushes into the midfield ?

Did I get it right Dr Mike , I read your posting rules and I think this qualifies as discussion, especially for all those that just watched Cameron Woods game on Friday night footy?

The mistake was picking the older Stephenson rather than Woods as a rookie, too short term. Hampson has not been beeten when he has played as our first ruck.

Last edited:
You used to be funny, Rusty. Now you just repeatedly whinge about things that are done and gone. I'd rather an update on Andy Collins' towel count.

Hampson didn't get the chance to play against Goldstein. Instead we had Maric getting smashed, just like he was in the final last year.

Rucks don't have to do much, but they do have to not get smashed. Hampson is largely *ed, but he doesn't get smashed in the ruck.

Getting slaughtered in the ruck is why we lost the elimination final. That's why Hampson was recruited. We will never be destroyed like that when he's in the team.

Woods clearly beat Goldstein around the ground. He actually ran him ragged. I couldn't believe it was the same guy I seriously rated Bo ahead of him. Proves again the old cliche big men can take time to develop. This is why I'm prepared to hold tight on Hampson for two more years;)

Last edited:
You used to be funny, Rusty. Now you just repeatedly whinge about things that are done and gone. I'd rather an update on Andy Collins' towel count.

Hampson didn't get the chance to play against Goldstein. Instead we had Maric getting smashed, just like he was in the final last year.

Rucks don't have to do much, but they do have to not get smashed. Hampson is largely ******ed, but he doesn't get smashed in the ruck.

Getting slaughtered in the ruck is why we lost the elimination final. That's why Hampson was recruited. We will never be destroyed like that when he's in the team.
Why isn't he in the team now ? How
Come we got destroyed in 90% of the games he played in this year ? I'm a little confused . When is all this going to happen . He's already fallen behind Orren , McBean and Elton in the VFL.

It's not done until we trade him at years end , do you think we'll have any takers ? That's a serious question , do you really think there would be any takers for him?

Seriously ? The ruck position is more than hit outs , or are you just talking about hit outs Tiger68 because the blues just won a game because they dropped the second worse Ruckman in the league in Warncock for a rookie
Listed journey man that competed as hard as Ivan Maric does every week

Seriously ? The ruck position is more than hit outs , or are you just talking about hit outs Tiger68 because the blues just won a game because they dropped the second worse Ruckman in the league in Warncock for a rookie
Listed journey man that competed as hard as Ivan Maric does every week
I totally agree. Again looking to this year when Hampson is in, yes he has been good around the hit outs but he has been murdered when the ball hits the deck in a contests. Seriously murdered. Hitler couldn't have done better.

I maintain in this day and age that, as a main stat people look for in their midfield options as contested ball and clearances, that means that the ruckmans work after he has done that tap is more important. Look at Maric, he makes an enormous effort around the contest but can be beaten in the hitouts. He is still regarded as a great ruckman. Contrast that to say Sandilands who can win the tap outs as he is the ******* empire state building he struggles to lay blocks or compete when the ball hits the deck.

I may be shot down for this, but I would happily lose the hit outs if the ruck won the ground ball contest.

Woods clearly beat Goldstein around the ground. He actually ran him ragged. I couldn't believe it was the same guy I seriously rated Bo ahead of him. Proves again the old cliche big men can take time to develop. This is why I'm prepared to hold tight on Hampson for two more years
and kicked a goal...

I don't mind Hampson purely in the ruck but ....if a ruckman can be of use around the ground, mark in defence, tackle, kick a goal then hitouts stat.s shouldn't really matter that much.

Didn't watch a lot of it but the (knock on wood) haha that's so good.... Is and has always been that he is a soft**** .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who would you have used our second round pick on in the draft ? Would you have used it on another midfield type , half back or maybe a 3rd tall marking type as back up for Lennon once he pushes into the midfield ?

Did I get it right Dr Mike , I read your posting rules and I think this qualifies as discussion, especially for all those that just watched Cameron Woods game on Friday night footy?
I always thought Orren's games at senior level were fine and midfield depth is what we need..

Let's see Wood back it up first, it's one game! I'm sure the Hammer has played at least one good game for Carlton.

It frustrates me no end when the evidence of 1 game is used to try and highlight the errors of our recruiting department. Now I am going to qualify this by saying that Hampson has not impressed me at all since being recruited and so far his form would have to suggest that it has not been the best pick up.
However, to use the evidence of Cameroon Woods performance last night to be critical that he was not on our radar is ludicrous. How bout the fact that he was not seen as part of the future of the Magpies and was let go. How bout the fact that he has not got a game in the first 16 weeks at the blues. I am going to resort back the line I often do in these circumstances - even weaker players find 1 good game (Tambling perfect example - he was not an AFL footballers boot studder but I am sure he probably had 1 or 2 good games). When we see form over a consistent period then use it as your evidence.
Otherwise we would have to assume that after watching last weekend Richmond game we are a top 4 side.

Stop using 1 games performance as the Crux of your evidence. Everyone seems to be a genius with the advantage of hindsight.

Anyone want LAST WEEKS Tattslotto numbers - let me know I can give them to you.....

It frustrates me no end when the evidence of 1 game is used to try and highlight the errors of our recruiting department. Now I am going to qualify this by saying that Hampson has not impressed me at all since being recruited and so far his form would have to suggest that it has not been the best pick up.
However, to use the evidence of Cameroon Woods performance last night to be critical that he was not on our radar is ludicrous. How bout the fact that he was not seen as part of the future of the Magpies and was let go. How bout the fact that he has not got a game in the first 16 weeks at the blues. I am going to resort back the line I often do in these circumstances - even weaker players find 1 good game (Tambling perfect example - he was not an AFL footballers boot studder but I am sure he probably had 1 or 2 good games). When we see form over a consistent period then use it as your evidence.
Otherwise we would have to assume that after watching last weekend Richmond game we are a top 4 side.

Stop using 1 games performance as the Crux of your evidence. Everyone seems to be a genius with the advantage of hindsight.

Anyone want LAST WEEKS Tattslotto numbers - let me know I can give them to you.....
You gotta admit , it was a pretty good game , Hampson could only dream of playing a complete game of tough team football like Woods game last night. Put his body on the line for his team mates all night.

I'm only comparing this one game of footy to Hampsons dozen he played for us and I think it proves we had other options than to trade our second round pick for Hampson. That's what this thread is about and it's about creating discussion on how we go about rebuilding our ruck stocks in the future because Maric is a Warrior and warriors get injuries, Father Time is staring down Orren and Hampson would clearly be playing for Coburg development if we hadn't started our own VFL aqua this year .

How could discussion on improving our list get boring for you. This is a footy forum .

And have a look at the Hampson linked to Richmond thread from last year if you'd like to see some hindsight. Approx 98% of supporters knew he was a dud.

Rucks don't have to do much, but they do have to not get smashed. Hampson is largely ******ed, but he doesn't get smashed in the ruck.

He's still funny, just not as funny as Hampson playing football

You gotta admit , it was a pretty good game , Hampson could only dream of playing a complete game of tough team football like Woods game last night. Put his body on the line for his team mates all night.

I'm only comparing this one game of footy to Hampsons dozen he played for us and I think it proves we had other options than to trade our second round pick for Hampson. That's what this thread is about and it's about creating discussion on how we go about rebuilding our ruck stocks in the future because Maric is a Warrior and warriors get injuries, Father Time is staring down Orren and Hampson would clearly be playing for Coburg development if we hadn't started our own VFL aqua this year .

How could discussion on improving our list get boring for you. This is a footy forum .

And have a look at the Hampson linked to Richmond thread from last year if you'd like to see some hindsight. Approx 98% of supporters knew he was a dud.

3 Disposals in the first half. Not 30...3!
26 hitouts (19% to adv) vs Goldstein 43 (40%) to advantage.
Goldstein 8 tackles. Wood 3
Goldstein 14 pressure acts Wood 7

I saw he took a few good grabs, but jeez, Rusty, turn it up! You use this one game as ammo to take more pot shots at your own footy club.
I get your frustration but this is bordering on something a little bit disturbing.

Last edited:
He's still funny, just not as funny as Hampson playing football
I've got to agree with you.What else is there to do in a week with no Tigers participating.I don't know if i have a warped sense of humour,but that Rusty character sends me into fits of laughter.As long as people are laughing and not at war then the world is a better place IMO:):thumbsu:

3 Disposals in the first half. Not 30...3!
26 hitouts (19% to adv) vs Goldstein 43 (40%) to advantage.
Goldstein 8 tackles. Wood 3
Goldstein 14 pressure acts Wood 7

I saw he took a few good grabs, but jeez, Rusty, turn it up! You use this one game as ammo to take more pot shots at your own footy club.
I get your frustration but this is bordering on something a little bit disturbing.
But did you watch the entire ge and see him compete and compete and compete. Proved to be the perfect back up Ruckman just like Derricks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back