How does Capitalism help stupid people in a globalised world?

Remove this Banner Ad

What happens to pilots??

There will always be a need for pilots!

but FBT and other policies have reduced nation building, regional cities and increased FIFO. I would much rather have 4 or 5 cities with a population of 1.5m in WA than turning Perth into a Sydney or Melbourne.

My preference would be to see FIFO turn from a 1 week on, 1 week off (or worse) roster to a Monday to Thursday type roster or better still to just day trips or over nighters

but positive externalities. ie. Alan Turing.
Turing was overrated. Brilliant man but the fact he was hounded for his sexuality probably drives a lot of sentiment towards him in the field of information science.

But your point about positive externalities is a good one, probably eludes medusala who cannot think at a level more complex than Smith's simplistic baker analogy.

Much of the infrastructure on which people use hashtags was built by two monopolistic entities - the US government and AT&T/Bell Labs (which was granted its monopoly by the US Govt). The positive externality of their inefficiency propelled the information science and the internet.

Peter Thiel wrote a pretty good article that suggested that for all it's benefits in driving down price, competition doesn't drive society forward in innovations.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/peter-thiel-competition-is-for-losers-1410535536

Monopolists can afford to think about things other than making money; non-monopolists can't. In perfect competition, a business is so focused on today's margins that it can't possibly plan for a long-term future. Only one thing can allow a business to transcend the daily brute struggle for survival: monopoly profits.

Turing was overrated. Brilliant man but the fact he was hounded for his sexuality probably drives a lot of sentiment towards him in the field of information science.

But your point about positive externalities is a good one, probably eludes medusala who cannot think at a level more complex than Smith's simplistic baker analogy.

Much of the infrastructure on which people use hashtags was built by two monopolistic entities - the US government and AT&T/Bell Labs (which was granted its monopoly by the US Govt). The positive externality of their inefficiency propelled the information science and the internet.

Peter Thiel wrote a pretty good article that suggested that for all it's benefits in driving down price, competition doesn't drive society forward in innovations.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/peter-thiel-competition-is-for-losers-1410535536
manhattan oppenheimer

Simple point for simple people.

Peter Thiel wrote a pretty good article that suggested that for all it's benefits in driving down price, competition doesn't drive society forward in innovations

And how did communist countries with their state monopolies go at driving innovation? See the industrial revolution in England. Who drove that? Even things like longitude were invented by a chap on his own despite the huge amount of money being spent by the Royal Navy. See numerous things invented in WWII outside of state monopolies like Whittle.

Schumpeter > Thiel.

Simple point for simple people.

You shouldn't describe yourself as simple.

And how did communist countries with their state monopolies go at driving innovation? See the industrial revolution in England.
You mean the thing that started under English mercantilism?

Agree. Society, Australian in particular seems to be at a weird stage where we are caught between the need for family and community and the need for freedom and individualism. Balance is there somewhere.

yep

To be honest, I couldn't have taken the risks I did without knowing my family was there to catch me if I failed, nor would I have had the motivation to achieve if it wasn't for my families needs.

so in a ying yang kind of way, both the collective and the individual benefits from a stronger community and family bonds.

How does an unemployed youth with no rental history move cities?
Share houses. Heaps cheaper, and you just need to convince the people living there you're an ok person, instead of a real estate agent. Generally also have furniture and internet etc, you might need to get a bed but that's about it.

Can find them on Gumtree, the internet, local papers, through mates or looking on the noticeboard at a local uni.

You do need a little money upfront, can't see a way around that, either support from family/friends or save before leaving. If you're lucky and have secured a job before committing to the move then you should be supporting yourself 100% within a month or so, depending.

Once you leave the share house, you've got one reference for renting.

Share houses. Heaps cheaper, and you just need to convince the people living there you're an ok person, instead of a real estate agent. Generally also have furniture and internet etc, you might need to get a bed but that's about it.

Can find them on Gumtree, the internet, local papers, through mates or looking on the noticeboard at a local uni.

You do need a little money upfront, can't see a way around that, either support from family/friends or save before leaving. If you're lucky and have secured a job before committing to the move then you should be supporting yourself 100% within a month or so, depending.

Once you leave the share house, you've got one reference for renting.

But how do you get that part time job in Traralgon to save the money to leave? Remembering the worst demographic for suicide are young rural men.

p.s. mottrain Vic Vinegar tesseract see that? I just stood up for men, as a feminist. amazing s**t hey.

But how do you get that part time job in Traralgon to save the money to leave? Remembering the worst demographic for suicide are young rural men.

p.s. mottrain Vic Vinegar tesseract see that? I just stood up for men, as a feminist. amazing s**t hey.
That's the hundred dollar question I guess. If you're lucky your family will (be able to) support you initially, otherwise I guess you need to think outside the box. Something unnecessary but expensive you can sell (rifle, dirt bike etc), do you have a mate or relative near where the job is that you can stay with rent free for a short term? Otherwise just ask the new employers for help (assuming you land the job before moving), and hope for the best.

Either way, staying at home with no job and not applying for them wont help, so the hard part becomes keeping positive, and continuing to try new ideas and ways to improve your life.

Last edited:
I'm just sayin most people wont do that even if it s the most logical approach.

People like their families and communities and dont generally want to leave them.

If the rich dont figure out a way to make life better for the lower class pretty soon, they are going to get eaten.

This is not on the unemployed or the lower class or the working class, the responsiblity for solving this problem is on the rich - they have it better now than they have ever had it, and the workers have it worse. If they dont correct it soon they are going to get killed for it imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back