I really enjoy following via radio.

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel lazy watching the footy on the telly. ABC call is generally very good. The NIRS call was much appreciated when I lived in SE Queensland - I really should listen to it more.

I like talk back sport radio, the opinions range from one extreme to another and can be very funny, you also get blokes with a skinfull ringing and take a eternity to get out what they wan't to say.

Agree with the OP that with live radio sport there is a big element of you not really knowing what is going on which can make it exciting and interesting.

I actually listen to quite a bit of horse racing live on radio and you never know what is going on, the amount of times a caller has a horse won and then something jumps out of the ground to beat it is amazing, extremely amazing if it is your horse, as you assume it is coming last or something.

Theres actually a few whole radio calls from the 80s or 90s on you tube i listened to a bit of cos i couldnt sleep the other day, i can see what people mean.

When every game was not on tv it was great to have it on, though down here its just abc hobart get Mmm but we dont here, thought could online obviously.

I like the podcasts etc and prefer the commentary but i cant watch it without the tv

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nothing like listening to a close game on radio. I was driving and listening to 5AA (taking the 3AW feed I believe) during Essendon's narrow win over Hawthorn. It is certainly a different sensation to TV -- more vigourous. TV can seem ho-hum, especially with those Fox Footy clowns.

I actually listen to quite a bit of horse racing live on radio and you never know what is going on, the amount of times a caller has a horse won and then something jumps out of the ground to beat it is amazing, extremely amazing if it is your horse, as you assume it is coming last or something.

So true! My sister got married the year Dunaden won the Caulfield Cup - I'd backed it and had to listen to the race in the car before the ceremony started. Think the only time Greg Miles called it was when it hit the front with about 20 metres to go - amazing feeling.

I think its the extra uncertainty of listening to a game on radio that gives you that extra thrill - no better way to listen to a close game of footy. That's what makes the AFL360 grand final montages so great.

I was wondering if anyone else out there really enjoys or even prefers to follow games by radio these days. A few years ago, I would said I much prefer to follow it on TV, but I've started to really enjoy just listening to games again. The commentary and analysis is better, and it is kind of exciting to not quite be sure what's going on and hearing the crowd with out the initial context. May be I am just TV fatigued and sick of hearing BT and the Channel 7 crew going through the motions.​

+1 here, then again I do a lot of drivimg so cricket / footy on the radio has always been my thing

Yeah, listening to a game on the radio adds a whole other dimension to the game. Crowd noise is louder and general vibe is a lot more intense. SEN is mostly my first pick (Crunch Time is still decent) and as mentioned they do the Friday build-up and pre-game really well. 3AW isn't that bad and if I have to I occasionally go over to MMM.

I started listening to footy on radio as a teenager in the 90's and Rex was head and shoulders above the pack, he could make even the most one-sided and crap games of footy exciting and entertaining. Shane Healy, Huddo and Grybas were all great on but the common factor there was Rex - he was insanely good at what he did.

I love listening to games on the radio or streaming over the net however I have one quite major problem with it and that is, radio advertising is like a form of audio torture to me. I'm not sure if it's because I have been living overseas for some time and detached myself a bit for Australiana culture a little bit, but the quality of Australian radio advertising is genuinely horrendous. I get pangs of cultural cringe when I have to listen to it. TV advertising used to be similarly awful but seems to have improved quite a lot in recent years, radio has not yet made that great leap forward though and seems limited to having some inane jingle or the owner of the company explaining why his product is so great in some irritating "comical" voice. It makes it very difficult for me to listen to the radio commentary without turning it on and off constantly.

That's why ABC coverage is good. Only ads are station promos, they are single spot then back to commentary and analysis. And I remember when I was a kid (25 yrs ago) after each goal they'd play a quick ad on the radio, where now you get commentary and analysis.

Strong nostalgia if people think Rex Hunt was good.
Lost the plot towards the end, but he was a lot of fun in the early part of the 2000s and probably before (I'm too young to remember).

If there was a way to sync up the radio broadcast with the TV broadcast that would be super

Radio commentary is far superior. Also they don't need a team of 6+ guys to do it. 1-2 or even 3 is all that is needed.

Also nostalgia of having Rex hunt calling games on the way home from footy on a Saturday morning is tops. Then detouring to nans for bacon and egg burgers. Those were the days
I always mute the FoxFooty video an listen in to whichever radio call I feel like for the game.
As to sync what I've found is once Bigfooty is refreshed once in the browser, the vision and audio match up perfectly

Went from the ages of 13-16 listening to a lot of football, mainly because we didn't have Fox Footy at the time. I look back on those games with a particular fondness, despite Hawthorn being pretty ordinary for most of those years (2003-2006). There's just some kind of palpable tension they capture when it's only the sounds that get broadcast and you have to fill in the gaps, I think. The crowds always sounded that much louder as well.

I think it also helps that the commentary is/was generally pretty stellar and didn't involve Dwayne Russell or BT sitting in the box jerking themselves off over how good they think they sound.

I really hate television commentary.

Lost the plot towards the end, but he was a lot of fun in the early part of the 2000s and probably before (I'm too young to remember).
Once he lost the balance of Grybas he went down hill

Remove this Banner Ad

Back