Teams Indianapolis Colts - Unitas We Stand ™

Remove this Banner Ad

Colts coach Chuck Pagano diagnosed with leukemia

Posted by Michael David Smith on October 1, 2012, 9:02 AM EDT
paganotraining-e1343776601314.jpg

Colts coach Chuck Pagano is dealing with a serious illness that will cause him to miss several games.

The Indianapolis Star reports that Pagano had been feeling fatigued and got blood tests during the bye week, when the illness was diagnosed. The Colts have planned a press conference for this morning at which they will give more details on his medical condition.

Colts offensive coordinator Bruce Arians will take over as interim head coach while Pagano is out.

Pagano, who will turn 52 on Tuesday, is in his first year as the Colts’ head coach. A Colts official told the Indianapolis Star that while Pagano’s health issue is a concern, the team is optimistic that he will recover.

UPDATE 9:09 a.m. ET: ESPN’s Chris Mortensen reports that Pagano has been diagnosed with leukemia. Doctors have told him he will be hospitalized for six weeks but that he will make a full recovery and return to coaching.

six weeks is a long time doesnt bode well for us this season.

but still will keep chuck in my prayers get well soon.
Wow thats massive news, feel for him and his family.

Hey Colt fans, anybody interested in buying a full size replica Riddell helmet? Looking for $100. Located in Melbourne.

index.jsp
m1Y6Z.jpg

sVQfP.jpg

wVuEV.jpg

30zgB.jpg

Indianapolis is going to the playoffs. The Colts’ win on Thursday, combined with losses by the Chargers and Dolphins on Sunday, give Indianapolis a two-game lead over the rest of the pack in the AFC wild card race. Considering that the Colts still have games against the 3-6 Bills, the 4-5 Lions, the 4-6 Titans and the 1-7 Chiefs, it’s almost impossible to envision Indianapolis falling short of a winning record, and this looks like a season in which anything over .500 is going to be good enough to secure an AFC playoff spot. Amazing as it is to say, the team that finished last year with the worst record in the league will finish this year in the playoffs. That’s almost as amazing as a running back who entered the year with a devastating knee injury finishing the year as an MVP candidate.

Why Andrew Luck is even better than you think

Colts' QB has outshined Big Ben and Peyton as rookies.

Colts rookie QB Andrew Luck called it a “tsunami.”

During an empty-back drill in June, the Colts defense besieged Luck, who had missed OTAs (per NFL rules) to finish his Stanford classes, with several different blitzes.

Luck3.jpg

Then, Luck and offensive coordinator Bruce Arians studied the film of that triage.

The Colts ran the same drill during practice a few days later, and Luck deftly changed his protections to handle the exotic blitz looks. He completed 12-of-14 passes.

“(He) just lit ’em up,” Arians said. “When a guy can take it and translate it that quickly, you know you’ve got something special.”

Although much is made of Luck’s smarts — the high school valedictorian earned a 3.48 GPA as an architectural design major at Stanford while learning Jim Harbaugh’s pro-style scheme — he also has great speed, power and agility.

His numbers at the NFL Scouting Combine mirrored those of Panthers QB Cam Newton. Both ran the 40-yard dash in 4.59 seconds, and Luck jumped two inches higher (36) on the vertical leap and two inches shorter (124) on the broad jump.

“He’s a tremendous athlete,” Arians said.

Luck uses that athleticism to dodge pass rushers and extend plays. By never giving up on a play, he will sometimes take a sack, but more often that not, he will give his receivers time to get open and create a positive result.

“Just like Ben Roethlisberger, they make a heck of a lot of plays that way,” Arians said. “And you don’t want to change the way they play the game because that’s really who they are.”

Arians has experience with precocious rookie quarterbacks. The Steelers WR coach from 2004 to 2006 (and later Pittsburgh’s offensive coordinator) and Colts QB coach from 1998 to 2000, he guided both Roethlisberger and Peyton Manning as rookies.

Arians said that a stout Steelers defense and veteran RBs Jerome Bettis and Willie Parker buttressed Roethlisberger. So, Big Ben was often reduced to completing play-action and third-down passes.

Luck, however, joined a more challenging situation and had to take on more responsibility. The Colts finished 2-14 last year, and the current squad has eight other rookies and five players in their second year.

During his rookie year with the Colts, Manning would have two or three plays sent to him from the sideline, and he’d choose one. But Manning did not yet extensively direct the no-huddle offense that he would become his calling card.

Luck already orchestrates that hurry-up attack.

“We’re actually asking Andrew to do a lot more than we asked Peyton his first year,” Arians said. “(It’s) more like what (Peyton) did his second.”

Manning completed 56.7 percent of his passes for 3,739 yards, 26 touchdowns and 28 interceptions as a rookie. Luck has thrown for more yards (an NFL rookie record of 4, 183) and less interceptions (18) while leading the Colts to the playoffs, which Manning did not do until Year Two.

Perhaps most impressively, Luck has shown his ability in the clutch with seven fourth quarter comebacks, another rookie record.

“Guys just lock in and focus and don’t get too strung out by the moment,” Luck said. “(Arians) puts us in some great practice situations that mirror a lot of times what’s happening in the games.”
Although Luck modestly deflected credit throughout the interview, Arians knows he has a franchise quarterback who excels with the game on the line.

“That’s the one thing that sets the great ones apart,” Arians said. “They have a grit about them that they’re going to will themselves upon their teammates to win the game.”

Luck, though, is far from a finished product. Despite displaying a strong and accurate arm, he knows he needs to improve his 54.3 completion percentage and limit his interception total.

“Windows open and close much, much faster in the passing game,” Luck said. “Guys are faster. The game is faster … You’ve got fast, athletic defensive guys out there that will make you pay for your mistakes.”

When Luck makes a mistake — like the three interceptions he threw versus New England — Arians deals with him in a nurturing manner, often tapping his quarterback on the helmet in an encouraging way.

“When he’s playing and he’s telling me what he’s seeing, and I’m telling what I’m seeing, there has to be a level of communication and trust,” Arians said. “Sometimes I tap him a little harder than others.”

Mostly, though, Luck deserves a pat on the back for launching an NFL career, which seems poised for greatness.

Thankfully, the AP choose rookie of the year, not a popularity contest, and i'm tipping Luck will rightfully be chosen.

I reckon Wilson will get a few votes simply for being a 5th round pick who overcame not even being the slated #1 guy, beat out Flynn in camp, and proceeded to do very well.

RGIII has done a great job this year, too.

But really Luck should be the one, for mastering so much (as per the article linked above demonstrates).

Thankfully, the AP choose rookie of the year, not a popularity contest, and i'm tipping Luck will rightfully be chosen.

I reckon Wilson will get a few votes simply for being a 5th round pick who overcame not even being the slated #1 guy, beat out Flynn in camp, and proceeded to do very well.

But really Luck should be the one, for mastering so much (as per the article linked above demonstrates).

Luck works in a more difficult system with less help in all areas, Seattle and Washington have much more complete teams, but I still think either RG3 or Wilson has it in the bag, people love stats and both of there's are far superior than Lucks. I wouldn't begrudge RG3 or Wilson OROTY at all they have both been amazing.

I'm super excited to see how he goes next year with some semblance of a O line when we use all our cap space to get him one. I think you will see all his stats go up considerably, In the last three games he is making less silly throws so he seems to be working hard on his turnovers. Give him more time in the pocket with less pressure and i think he will start doing amazing things.

The future is bright!

Yeah, but RG3 is still the "flashier" choice than the others though, which can even infiltrate the decision making process. Not taking anything away from him, he's had a huge year, but I'm not sure he's even the best offensive rookie in his team.

That article sums it up pretty well, though the fact that Luck can play like that and the award still be up for debate says a lot about last year's QB class overall.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm more interested in executive and to a lesser extent coach of the year than OROTY from a Colts perspective. Grigson's done an amazing job and I'm interested to see if that's recognized, because everyone knows Lucks been terrific whether he wins it or not.

Luck, Wilson, and Griffin III have all had spectacular years, and in any other year, all three (+ Alfred Morris) would be worthy OROY candidates.

This year though, I think the ranking will end up as thus;

1) Robert Griffin III
2) Russell Wilson
3) Andrew Luck
4) Alfred Morris
5) Doug Martin

When you compare their stats, they've all had fantastic years in some respect; RG3 with the TOTAL yards (pass/rush) and ball security, Wilson with the TD's, and Luck with the Passing Yards

RGIII : 3200 yds passing, 20 TD 5 INT, 102.4 rating plus 815 yds rushing, 7 TD
Wilson : 3118 yds passing, 26 TD 10 INT, 100.0 rating plus 489 yds rushing and 4 TD
Luck : 4374 yds passing, 23 TD 18 INT, 76.5 rating plus 255 yds rushing and 5 TD

However, when you compare each teams divisions as well as strength of schedules this year, not to mention that RGIII is the only QB to lead his team to a division title as opposed to just a wildcard entry (which is still a big deal, of course), I think RGIII will get the OROY nod.

I think it'll be Luck because of 1) the total organizational upheaval that took place, 2) learning more complex offense and having to be a far more pro-ready QB with a rookie HC/GM etc, 3) they were up against the returning AFCS division champs and only just missed out by 1 game when no one expected them to, 4) not as good a D to help out as the Seahawks and Redskins had.

Worth looking at all the rookie of the week/month winners thru the year as a guide. Not sure what the results of that were.

Not a single defensive player among them either.

Assuming Morris' 200 yards earns him the week 17 award, that's 11/16 weeks this year the Redskins had the winner. :eek:

Roethlisberger is the only one I noticed to have won as many weekly awards as RG3, and he also won the yearly award.

SEPTEMBER
Offensive Rookie of the Month: Robert Griffin III QB Redskins
Defensive Rookie of the Month: Chandler Jones DE Patriots

OCTOBER
Offensive Rookie of the Month: Doug Martin HB Buccaneers
Defensive Rookie of the Month: Casey Hayward CB Packers

NOVEMBER
Defensive Rookie of the Month: Lavonte David LB Buccaneers

DECEMBER
Offensive Rookie of the Month: ???
Defensive Rookie of the Month: ???

Offensive ROTM for December will almost certainly be Russell Wilson.
I can't see Luck winning ROTY without ever having won a ROTM

Updated....

SEPTEMBER
Defensive Rookie of the Month: Chandler Jones DE Patriots

OCTOBER
Offensive Rookie of the Month: Doug Martin HB Buccaneers
Defensive Rookie of the Month: Casey Hayward CB Packers

NOVEMBER
Defensive Rookie of the Month: Lavonte David LB Buccaneers

DECEMBER