IRS - Australia v Ireland Game 1

Remove this Banner Ad

I enjoyed last night's game and would like to see the concept continue if, and only if, the players buy into it. We were told in the past that this wasn't the case and last year's effort seemed to back that up. This year looked different and it appeared the team was fully committed. If players from both countries want to play and they are able to then keep it going I say.

I would like to see the game and the rules continue to be refined to make it a more exciting game. The 1st half was incredibly boring but maybe the Irish just played like crap. Still need to find the right balance between the two codes.

I would like to see the game and the rules continue to be refined to make it a more exciting game. The 1st half was incredibly boring but maybe the Irish just played like crap. Still need to find the right balance between the two codes.
Biggest issue with IRS is the piss poor crowd numbers we get over on the East coast.

The anecdotes from people who were there last night remind me a lot of the game I went to when I was about 10. Just a great atmosphere, very different to any AFL game. And the Irish fans who come out are just there to enjoy themselves and the event.

I wish they were playing a game in Melbourne this year, but considering that Ireland didn't have their best team over, maybe it's best left to one match.

Garry McIntosh. If he didn't stop it he just belted them. Same with SOO.
Fletcher has been the best keeper by a long, long way ever for the afl in these IR matches. The rest have been absolutely woeful. His kicking out last night was terrible, granted. In the 2nd half it seemed like he was looking for shorter options but was compelled to bomb it every time.

Fair play to the Aussies on their win. Much the better team and really the final score didn't do them justice. the first half was embarrassing from an Irish point of view. I really thought we were staring at an 80 point defeat! To be fair the guys show great heart to make a contest of it.

Just to give it some context apart from a few top guys this was a mix of a 2nd string and 3rd string Irish side. I know you guys have had the same complaint in previous years particularly the last 2 series. It's not easy to get guys to buy in to a hybrid sport.

The series has been ridiculed on both Ireland and Australia and interest had waned completely but the atmosphere looked great, hopefully interest will be reignited. If you and get an All Australian side out again for next year and we can get a few more top guys out this thing might just have a future!

Reading here a lot of guys think it is pretty much gaelic football with side posts but to us it looks like AFL with a round ball and nets! To be objective I think they have got the rules pretty right now.

A big compromise that mightn't be apparent to anyone familiar with gaelic football is simply dealing with possession of the football. A good pass in gaelic football is one that bounces up in to your chest. Suicide in this game or AFL. If there is a guy right on your back in Gaelic it doesn't really matter he can't wrap you up in a tackle, he can block your path and try knock the ball off you but chances are you can retain possession, turn him, lay it off or gain a free if he is forced to pull you down. Guys are doing the opposite to what they would instinctively do in their own game. I think that is something that might be under estimated by Australians.

You got some serious players in the AFL. I'd love to some of your top guys try a year of Gaelic football. Obviously never going to happen given that Gaelic is amateur, unless someone decides to make reality TV show out of it or something!!
I agree with this, the Irish certainly do have to make adjustments, this 'we beat them at their own game' stuff is absolute crap. Too much handball ruins the spectacle a bit for me however the emphasis on multiple handball seems to be the only way the Aussies can negotiate IR.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who do you play though?
The sport is in one country almost exclusively.

You could play a 'best of the rest of the world' and it would still be 4000-0
East vs West All Star game in the style of the 2008 game between Victoria and "Dream Team". Do it American style based on current teams rather than try to do anything State of Origin based. WA/SA clubs plus half of Vic versus NSW/Qld clubs and the other half of Vic.

East vs West All Star game in the style of the 2008 game between Victoria and "Dream Team". Do it American style based on current teams rather than try to do anything State of Origin based. WA/SA clubs plus half of Vic versus NSW/Qld clubs and the other half of Vic.

Problem is that there's no emotional investment in All Star teams for fans and players alike, that 2008 game was pretty stupid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back