IRS - Australia v Ireland Game 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Fletcher has been the best keeper by a long, long way ever for the afl in these IR matches. The rest have been absolutely woeful. His kicking out last night was terrible, granted. In the 2nd half it seemed like he was looking for shorter options but was compelled to bomb it every time.

His kicking out was fine. It was the deplorable lack of awareness by his teammates that saw Ireland gain possession from almost every kick in. Did you expect Fletcher to hit an Aussie jumper lace out? It was the players job to quickly adjust to the dipping ball and get in the right position to at least make a contest. It drove me crazy all night!

The reason he bombed it every time was due to the new rule which stated that a kick in had to travel at least 45 metres.

I agree with this, the Irish certainly do have to make adjustments, this 'we beat them at their own game' stuff is absolute crap. Too much handball ruins the spectacle a bit for me however the emphasis on multiple handball seems to be the only way the Aussies can negotiate IR.

Okay then, let's play Gaelic rules with a Sherrin and see how it pans out. I'd like to see our boys using the pill with no tackling pressure allowed! The ball is the key. Both sides must adapt but retaining possession of the ball and then kicking it accurately through the sticks is what it boils down to. There have been many series where we have dominated or at least shared possession but lost by a fair margin-all because we couldn't control the unfamiliar round ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back