Remove this Banner Ad

joeyavalanche

Premiership Player
May 30, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-07-08/shueys-class-earns-tag

WEST Coast midfielder Luke Shuey believes he's copped more attention from taggers this season than in any other in his AFL career.

The 24-year-old is averaging 22 disposals across 13 games this year and has kicked 11 goals. Last season Shuey averaged just 21.5 touches in 14 games and kicked nine goals, although his season was plagued with hamstring issues.

His best season in terms of average disposals was 2012 when he had 23 per week and kicked 19 goals in 21 matches.

"I think I have come up against more attention from opposition this year than any other year, but that is just part of football and is part of my development," Shuey said.

"I have faced a lot more challenges this year than any other year, but I would like to think I can finish the last six or seven games off strongly."

Shuey said he is learning to work his way through tags with the help of Eagles assistants Brady Rawlings and Adam Selwood, who both played as taggers for much of their careers.

"Brades has really good insight because he has done it at the top level for so long," Shuey said.

"So I am working with him and working with Adam Selwood as well this year has certainly helped me."

is shuey serious here?
i have yet to see him take his game or even his workload up to the next level after being tagged for over 2 years now.

watched him again on the weekend and he ceases to get his hands dirty and do the hard things,
its articles like this as well as his body language that keeps me feeling like he think's he has 'made it'.

its not like he lacks confidence, on or off the field.
gaff and until lately sheppard were similar, but they seem more timid and lack that confidence.

i just cant see luke taking his game to the next level,
he's not a game changer or nor does he even strive to be,
he's had a good run with injuries so we cant accept that excuse anymore,
he's not going to get any bigger or taller and has never showed that hunger to dig deep especially in times like this,
masten got the tag after quarter time on sunday and shuey did nothing to capitalise on the opportunity.

he also doesnt have the class of a harley bennell or a daniel wells where you can accept some of his shortcomings because of his undisputed class to make up for his inconsistencies.

he holds alot of currency here in victoria still and would be honestly happy for him to be the one traded.
i dont think we can carry shuey, priddis, masten, gaff and sheed and expect to take the next step.

can anyone convince me otherwise?

Wrong tree.

Shuey's biggest issue is football intelligence. Not his work rate or physicality, not his skills and not his attitude.

id also add football intelligence in there too, but wouldnt disregard the others.
watched him stand outside packs and just watched like a cameraman on the weekend.

the most alarming this is you can teach skills and you can improve attitude,
but footy nous is something that you either have or you dont,
and even if he does have some of it, he's had enough years in the system to show enough good signs

Think he tries to do too much at times. Would like him to strip things back to basics a bit. Take the easier option from time to time. Get a cheap one-two etc.

I don't think getting rid of Shuey is what needs to be done.

You need midfield depth and class. Shuey is a good player and would appear better in a stronger midfield.

The club probably needs to bite the bullet and trade someone with currency from a different area. Lycett could be the one as he is young, has played a few games to show what he is capable of and plus you have Sinclair as a back up. Especially if Cox decides to go another year, if not then Lycett remains.

Rosa may have held some currency, but he has re-signed.

Shuey also needs to get through a block of games uninterrupted by injuries. I don't follow him that closely but he does seem to go down often with calfs and other niggles.

Lastly he is 24, I don't think you trade out 24 year old decent mids unless you're guaranteed quality from the other end.

I dont think he has been that bad. He has definitely been getting the ball more while tagged than he used to and always seems to score a goal every coupe of matches. Out of our mids he is the one worth keeping. Why would you get rid of the only one that has a bit of class.

At the end of the day the rest of the mids arnt much better, you only notice it with Shuey because he was so overrated as youngster, he easily has the best pace and class out of our mids(thats why he gets tagged) and our teams not going to get better without him.

* stats.

IMO his best year was his breakout year in 2011. He slotted long range goals on his left, took the game and players on with run and carry through the middle, laced out bullet passes to forwards, was fantastic in traffic and just generally 'looked' like he worked harder.

No doubt it was partially because he wasn't tagged, that honor was still going to Matt (ha!) i mean Kerr each week.

Every season since then, i've been disappointed unfortunately. Even if the stats tell me he's better.

Last edited:
the thing that sucks about shuey is that yes you can look at his average possessions, but it is when he gets these possessions that matter. that north game I was so annoyed with him, he picked up over half his possessions when the game was dead! where was he when we were getting flogged?

Off topic has anyone noticed there is always a new story about us on the AFL site. Either an interview with a player or Simpson.

Think he tries to do too much at times. Would like him to strip things back to basics a bit. Take the easier option from time to time. Get a cheap one-two etc.
Needs to take a leaf out of Dustin Martin's book in that regard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with ER in that football intelligence with regards to dealing with tags and possibly even positioning around stoppages are the problems with the Shue. It would also help if he received a block from his team mates now and again to give him some space. He's definitely stagnated this year, at least in terms of his impact on games. However it's also worth noting he's spent more time in the forward line so that may be influencing his disposal numbers. He definitely showed signs last year especially against the Hawks in round 12 (33 disposals and 2 goals) just before he hurt his hamstring which ended his season. He's also been pulling up sore after games so injuries and soreness have definitely been an inconvenience.

Trading him is risky because we aren't guaranteeing ourselves a potential top 10 mid, let alone a midfielder of similar ability. On the contrary I firmly believe we won't see the best of him unless with surround him with top end talent (the same goes for Gaff). I see him in a similar vein to Travis Boak. Both averaged disposals in the low twenties early in their careers. Boak had a s**t team and s**t midfield to contend with. However Boak (at 25) took his game to the next level last year with the emergence of guys like Ebert, Hartlett, Wingard and Wines (three of which were brought into the team in the space of two seasons). Just how long it will take for us I don't know. Realistically it should depend on the development of guys like Yeo, Sheed, Colledge, Gaff and Waterman etc, so it could take five years or it could take until next season. He's also just turned 24 so he's entering his prime now, we'll just have to wait and see.

Bit like all our players, collectively they are all playing bad footy this then collectively filters down to individuals if that's makes sense

Shuey and many of our mids are reacted to what's happening and trying to then adjust instead of being pro active in getting the ball

Agree with ER in that football intelligence with regards to dealing with tags and possibly even positioning around stoppages are the problems with the Shue. It would also help if he received a block from his team mates now and again to give him some space. He's definitely stagnated this year, at least in terms of his impact on games. However it's also worth noting he's spent more time in the forward line so that may be influencing his disposal numbers. He definitely showed signs last year especially against the Hawks in round 12 (33 disposals and 2 goals) just before he hurt his hamstring which ended his season. He's also been pulling up sore after games so injuries and soreness have definitely been an inconvenience.

Trading him is risky because we aren't guaranteeing ourselves a potential top 10 mid, let alone a midfielder of similar ability. On the contrary I firmly believe we won't see the best of him unless with surround him with top end talent (the same goes for Gaff). I see him in a similar vein to Travis Boak. Both averaged disposals in the low twenties early in their careers. Boak had a s**t team and s**t midfield to contend with. However Boak (at 25) took his game to the next level last year with the emergence of guys like Ebert, Hartlett, Wingard and Wines (three of which were brought into the team in the space of two seasons). Just how long it will take for us I don't know. Realistically it should depend on the development of guys like Yeo, Sheed, Colledge, Gaff and Waterman etc, so it could take five years or it could take until next season. He's also just turned 24 so he's entering his prime now, we'll just have to wait and see.
Totally agree with you pretty much my thoughts on Shue-perman he would be the last mid I would be trading. I think Simmo sees the potential in him and will get him playing good footy they seem to have a good relationship. Look at Heppel him and Shuey had very good years when they were both contenders for the rising star (Shuey should have won IMO) since Kerr left Shuey has found it a lot harder and now that Watson is out Heppel is finding it a lot harder.

I don't think getting rid of Shuey is what needs to be done.

You need midfield depth and class. Shuey is a good player and would appear better in a stronger midfield.

end.

Midfield support depth we have... In fact that's all we have

Class we lack in spades.

His attitude and work rate are absolutely his problem, it's not his ability that's lacking. Last year he was telling us he didn't like the coaches game plan, and now he's telling us he so good that he gets tagged. He was nowhere to be seen on the weekend when it mattered, and he's been like that for the last two seasons. He needs to watch a few tapes of Cuz, Judd, Kerr to see how they dealt with tags and still dominated games. The kid is good, but the problem is he knows it, and seems to be content just picking up a paycheque each week. Needs to be reminded no one is guaranteed a game a few times by being dropped anytime his work rate drops off. It's a pity, because he's the most talented mid we have at the moment.

id also add football intelligence in there too, but wouldnt disregard the others.
watched him stand outside packs and just watched like a cameraman on the weekend.

the most alarming this is you can teach skills and you can improve attitude,
but footy nous is something that you either have or you dont,
and even if he does have some of it, he's had enough years in the system to show enough good signs

Calling him a front runner or outside is plain wrong though, as it defies the natural make up of his game. An issue of when to go, how hard to go are issues with Shuey but being our only damaging inside/ outside player kind of makes it a bigger issue for him.

His attitude and work rate are absolutely his problem, it's not his ability that's lacking. Last year he was telling us he didn't like the coaches game plan, and now he's telling us he so good that he gets tagged. He was nowhere to be seen on the weekend when it mattered, and he's been like that for the last two seasons. He needs to watch a few tapes of Cuz, Judd, Kerr to see how they dealt with tags and still dominated games. The kid is good, but the problem is he knows it, and seems to be content just picking up a paycheque each week. Needs to be reminded no one is guaranteed a game a few times by being dropped anytime his work rate drops off. It's a pity, because he's the most talented mid we have at the moment.

Deserves a re-post

His only consistency around the stoppages is remembering to fix his hair.

Can someone name me one game this year where he was our best player?

Don't worry, I'll wait :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back