Opinion Our coaches, leadership, game style, and everything else

Remove this Banner Ad

Great interview with Stewart Dew on the Swans site (or 6PR). Honest and open, and a good discussion on the players.

Re-affirmed my faith in the coaches and players.
Good to hear him say that changes will be made if we keep this up , also saying the blokes who are in form in the 2s and pushing for senior call are rookies so id presume it would be Biggs, Robinson , Lloyd but they cant upgrade them all.

How do you know? The Saints used to talk up Tommy Walsh too, and look how that turned out. What about Majak Daw? Best player ever if you asked the North fans, but what's he done?

We'll know if one of them makes it as an AFL ruck. Until then, it's all hype and bluster.
Also don't know how much game time they are getting or their roles. From the stats it looks like Holmes is being used as their number one ruck, which won't be the case in our reserves for Mitchell (and his game time is probably being managed even more so). Plenty of time yet.

Get a new game plan ffs this control possession kick it around s**t might stuff the stat sheet and stop a 100 point loss, hell occasionally it bores the hawks into losing

But id rather take them on than lose instead of being flogged not taking it on

He is out gunned and out thought by clarkson

We got on a roll in the second quarter, but came out readjusted after the break back to chipping

Melchett: Field Marshal Haig has formulated a brilliant new tactical plan to ensure final victory in the field.
Blackadder: Ah. Would this brilliant plan involve us climbing out of our trenches and walking very slowly towards the enemy?
Captain Darling: How could you possibly know that, Blackadder? It's classified information!
Blackadder: It's the same plan that we used last time and the seventeen times before that.
Melchett: Exactly! And that is what is so brilliant about it! It will catch the watchful Hun totally off guard! Doing precisely what we've done eighteen times before is exactly the last thing they'll expect us to do this time! There is, however, one small problem.
Blackadder: That everyone always gets slaughtered in the first ten seconds.
Melchett: That's right. And Field Marshal Haig is worried this may be depressing the men a tad. So he's looking for a way to cheer them up.
Blackadder: Well, his resignation and suicide seems the obvious choice.
Melchett: Hmm, interesting thought. Make a note of it, Darling

I hope the mods don't move or close this thread because I think it's deserved. Except maybe 'The Coaching Staff' instead of just Horse.

I have faith in Horse and the coaching staff to make the right decisions and as a supporter and I will back them. However, maybe I'm too stupid to understand the complexities of AFL but we lose a premiership and nothing changes. Something needs to be asked about the coaching panel. The only saving grace for me right now is the trading ban. I have no idea how much of our current predicament is because we can't trade.

All I know is that something needs to change with our forward line. We have no set up. Can anyone actually name what our set-up is? I went to go type it out and I have no idea because Buddy is now our only genuine forward given Tippett/Nanka split the time 50/50. I was saying it's ridiculous that a team with XYZ can only score 70 goals but then I stopped and realised we genuinely have no-one outside of Buddy.

2012 Goalkicking Table (All Rounds)
1. Jetta 45
2. Goodes 37
3. Reid 31
4. Ben 30
5. Kennedy 29
6. Jack 27
7. LRT 25
8. Bolton 23
9. ROK 20
10. McVeigh 18

Look at that spread.

At about Round 16 now - I know that the other sample space is larger but we have this:
1. Buddy 39
2. Tippett 25
3. Goodes 14
4. Parker 14
5. Rohan 11
6. Hanners 9

That is absolutely ridiculous to me. Clearly our current line-up whatever the * it is - is not working.
So much focus has been put on our ruck and our defence - but if you look at the statistics they're actually not even that bad compared to the league. Players like Richards, Shaw, Rampe and even Smith of late gets bagged beyond belief. Meanwhile - our forward line is possibly the most expensive and least effective in the history of the AFL. I've confident the personnel we have is enough to win a premiership - I'm just not confident it's playing the way we currently are.

Quoting myself from the other thread because I'm too lazy to type:
I have nothing to say about this side anymore. I have faith in Longmire, he's a premiership coach... But that doesn't mean I won't question their decisions because everyone makes mistakes. What is Playfair doing? Why does our gameplan result in so much congestion all of the time while Hawthorn have man on man. We should have one of the most potent teams attacks in the league. Our midfielders won us a premiership in 2012, then we added Tippett and Buddy Franklin. FRANKLIN FFS - and we cannot score even to 70. That's ridiculous.

We get shamed in a grand final - and Longmire dishes up the same gameplan. We're carrying some average players, we weren't able to trade, but the result shouldn't be this bad. At least with Kirk and Bolts we had heart. What are our players doing? I gave them the benefit of the doubt the last few weeks and thought we were pacing but I was wrong. Outplayed, outcoached, outclassed. Back to the drawing board IMO. This team is underperforming and we need to make some changes to win a flag. Either personnel or gameplan while we still can.

I hope the mods don't move or close this thread because I think it's deserved. Except maybe 'The Coaching Staff' instead of just Horse.

I have faith in Horse and the coaching staff to make the right decisions and as a supporter and I will back them. However, maybe I'm too stupid to understand the complexities of AFL but we lose a premiership and nothing changes. Something needs to be asked about the coaching panel. The only saving grace for me right now is the trading ban. I have no idea how much of our current predicament is because we can't trade.

All I know is that something needs to change with our forward line. We have no set up. Can anyone actually name what our set-up is? I went to go type it out and I have no idea because Buddy is now our only genuine forward given Tippett/Nanka split the time 50/50. I was saying it's ridiculous that a team with XYZ can only score 70 goals but then I stopped and realised we genuinely have no-one outside of Buddy.

1. Jetta 45
2. Goodes 37
3. Reid 31
4. Ben 30
5. Kennedy 29
6. Jack 27
7. LRT 25
8. Bolton 23
9. ROK 20
10. McVeigh 18

Look at that spread.

At about Round 16 now - I know that the other sample space is larger but we have this:
1. Buddy 39
2. Tippett 25
3. Goodes 14
4. Parker 14
5. Rohan 11
6. Hanners 9

That is absolutely ridiculous to me. Clearly our current line-up whatever the **** it is - is not working.
So much focus has been put on our ruck and our defence - but if you look at the statistics they're actually not even that bad compared to the league. Players like Richards, Shaw, Rampe and even Smith of late gets bagged beyond belief. Meanwhile - our forward line is possibly the most expensive and least effective in the history of the AFL. I've confident the personnel we have is enough to win a premiership - I'm just not confident it's playing the way we currently are.

Hit the nail on the head here really. Guys like Kennedy, K.Jack, Hannebery and Mitchell do not kick anywhere near enough goals. It means our forward line has to be too Buddy focused as no one else is capable of scoring. Kennedy used to be really good at goal kicking but has been terrible for a while now and the same with Jack. He missed 2 very easy goals in the 1st quarter and that sort of stuff is a killer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Get a new game plan ffs this control possession kick it around s**t might stuff the stat sheet and stop a 100 point loss, hell occasionally it bores the hawks into losing

But id rather take them on than lose instead of being flogged not taking it on

He is out gunned and out thought by clarkson

We got on a roll in the second quarter, but came out readjusted after the break back to chipping

100% spot on. General play and KPI'S in first qtr was all our way and the fact of the matter was we couldn't ****Ing score !!!!!!! Has been like it all year and he needs to wake the **** up that that s**t will not score and will not win games against decent opposition which has exposed us for the imposters we are because it has won games against the piss poor quality teams we have bludged our 11 wins off. Hawthorn the exception in Rd 8 when they were playing like a VFL side.

1. Jetta 45
2. Goodes 37
3. Reid 31
4. Ben 30
5. Kennedy 29
6. Jack 27
7. LRT 25
8. Bolton 23
9. ROK 20
10. McVeigh 18

Look at that spread.

1. Buddy 39
2. Tippett 25
3. Goodes 14
4. Parker 14
5. Rohan 11
6. Hanners 9

That is absolutely ridiculous to me. Clearly our current line-up whatever the **** it is - is not working.

Quoting myself from the other thread because I'm too lazy to type:
I have nothing to say about this side anymore. I have faith in Longmire, he's a premiership coach... But that doesn't mean I won't question their decisions because everyone makes mistakes. What is Playfair doing? Why does our gameplan result in so much congestion all of the time while Hawthorn have man on man. We should have one of the most potent teams attacks in the league. Our midfielders won us a premiership in 2012, then we added Tippett and Buddy Franklin. FRANKLIN FFS - and we cannot score even to 70. That's ridiculous.

We get shamed in a grand final - and Longmire dishes up the same gameplan. We're carrying some average players, we weren't able to trade, but the result shouldn't be this bad. At least with Kirk and Bolts we had heart. What are our players doing? I gave them the benefit of the doubt the last few weeks and thought we were pacing but I was wrong. Outplayed, outcoached, outclassed. Back to the drawing board IMO. This team is underperforming and we need to make some changes to win a flag. Either personnel or gameplan while we still can.

Great post.

Our defence looks so bad because our midfield group is lacking the same input goal kicking and defensively that it did in 2012. We don't have a forward line as a result and what forwards we do have either have too much pressure placed upon (Buddy), are used in multiple roles (Tippett) or are out of the side injured thus robbing the forward line of any sort of pressure (Rohan and McGlynn).

I place this at the feet of Dew for not evolving with the game and YET again finding out what happens our midfield doesn't move the ball on quickly (numbers pushed back, resulting in the bombs forward).

We need pace, a better plan for our forwards and maybe at years end fresh ideas brought into the coaching group. Horse I have faith in, but the coaching panel is stale and not providing new ideas to take us forward.

Great post.

Our defence looks so bad because our midfield group is lacking the same input goal kicking and defensively that it did in 2012. We don't have a forward line as a result and what forwards we do have either have too much pressure placed upon (Buddy), are used in multiple roles (Tippett) or are out of the side injured thus robbing the forward line of any sort of pressure (Rohan and McGlynn).

I place this at the feet of Dew for not evolving with the game and YET again finding out what happens our midfield doesn't move the ball on quickly (numbers pushed back, resulting in the bombs forward)
That's an interesting view considering Dew is highly regarded and very well wanted. Certainly a different perspective to my thoughts but you have me intrigued, very intrigued!

Great post.

I place this at the feet of Dew for not evolving with the game and YET again finding out what happens our midfield doesn't move the ball on quickly (numbers pushed back, resulting in the bombs forward).

We need pace, a better plan for our forwards and maybe at years end fresh ideas brought into the coaching group. Horse I have faith in, but the coaching panel is stale and not providing new ideas to take us forward.

I think our defence looks poor because

Ted is cooked
Nick smith is a shadow of himself
Shaw is cooked
Grundy makes poor decisions
Rampe is played out of position
And our most reliable defender is a carlton reject

None of them cope with it hitting the ground

Occasionally reid chips in, not sure why its the mids fault

The possession game plan is based around halting the momentum of the opposition, I hope longmire realised it did s**t all tonight, I'm at f****** gym because of Sydney, they motivated me to go an lift weights because if I get in bed now I'll cry like a little bitch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back