Kennett must go now

Remove this Banner Ad

You’ve missed the most salient point as I did initially, 18 interviewed and none worthy by unanimous recommendation. Decision went back to the board and they nominated Nank. In the end nothing to do with nominations committee.
That word says it all. Only takes one or two to block the outcome.

That word says it all. Only takes one or two to block the outcome.

Agree. This is important nuanced hasn’t clicked on before. Essentially, the sub committee was split in opinion (unsurprisingly, given the composition) and so the board made a decision on its behalf. I’m in church in that reading?

This could easily have been Kennett’s/Nank’s expectations the whole way along. I’m very surprised the subcommittee needed a unanimous rather than majority/supermajority decision.

I’m guessing this is where Caro’s (most likely forthcoming) article will be quite interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally, I was hoping that Bills Bloggs or Jill Bloggs with a celebrated corporate background in business and sport would have been sourced to take over the presidency and bring a fresh approach to the club.

Not sure how working in commercial law, particular M&A isn’t similar to what you were expecting. He’s also been overseeing the Dingley project while at the club so doesn’t need to be brought up to speed. He was also acting CEO for a time so his commercial acumen clearly isn’t lacking. Also has a specialty in sports law - handy skill to have as a president of an AFL club.

Lawyer doesn’t always equal putting on a powdered wig and citing precedents - my boss is a lawyer and he constantly overlooks the finances on business acquisitions.

Not sure how working in commercial law, particular M&A isn’t similar to what you were expecting. He’s also been overseeing the Dingley project while at the club so doesn’t need to be brought up to speed. He was also acting CEO for a time so his commercial acumen clearly isn’t lacking. Also has a specialty in sports law - handy skill to have as a president of an AFL club.

Lawyer doesn’t always equal putting on a powdered wig and citing precedents - my boss is a lawyer and he constantly overlooks the finances on business acquisitions.

There’s also the very strong argument that those who started the project should finish it. If this is a way to get that without Jeff’s special skills then all the better

Reading this thread for the last 10 or so pages is quite stunning, anyone reading it not knowing much about football would think our club had one one premiership in our history. One would think our club is a financial basket case, needing support from the AFL to survive. One would think we have a massive debt and could be forced to relocate to Tasmania to survive. One would think our board is made up of a bunch of amateur inexperienced idiots.

Our mighty club has won 4 premierships in the past 13 years, we have a young exciting new coach and have a young exciting team on the up. We are one of only 3 (I think I recall correctly) clubs that receive no hand outs from the AFL. We have a huge pile of money in the bank, we exited pokies with great deals and we are well down the track to building what will most likely be the best facilities in Australian sport.

Reading some of the comments on here you would think the club is about to fold FFS… to me some here have become so obsessed with their hatred of Kennet that everything the club does is tainted…

How many of you are disparaging the board, with zero knowledge or understanding of their performance? Whilst at the same time so absolutely certain that Ian Silk would be the perfect candidate but question Nanks suitability?

Take a good look in the mirror and ask yourself a simple question… Have I allowed my dislike of Jeff Kennet to cloud everything else with regards to how this great club is operating?

Last edited:
Reading this thread for the last 10 or so pages is quite stunning, anyone reading it not knowing much about football would think our club had one one premiership in our history. One would think our club is a financial basket case, needing support from the AFL to survive. One would think we have a massive debt and could be forced to relocate to Tasmania to survive. One would think our board is made up of a bunch of amateur inexperienced idiots.

Our mighty club has won 4 premierships in the past 13 years, we have a young exciting new coach and have a young exciting team on the up. We are one of only 3 (I think I recall correctly) clubs that receive no hand outs from the AFL. We have a huge pile of money in the bank, we exited pokies with great deals and we are well down the track to building what will most liKelly be the best facilities in Australian sport.

Reading some of the comments on here you would think the club is about to fold FFS… to me some here have become so obsessed with their hatred of Kennet that everything the club does is tainted…

How many of you are disparaging the board, with zero knowledge or understanding of their performance? Whilst at the same time so absolutely certain that Ian Silk would be the perfect candidate but question Nanks suitability?

Take a good look in the mirror and ask yourself a simple question… Have I allowed my dislike of Jeff Kennet to cloud everything else with regards to how this great club is operating?
Looked in the mirror and can categorically state that I don't dislike Jeff Kennet.

I also think that he needs to be held to account for his actions that have not been in the best interests of the club in recent times.

How would you like to hold him to account?

So we should punish the board, the next president and the entire leadership because some supporters feel he hasn't done the right thing by the club?
He is leaving.. love him, hate him or somewhere in the middle.. time to move on too!

So we should punish the board, the next president and the entire leadership because some supporters feel he hasn't done the right thing by the club?
He is leaving.. love him, hate him or somewhere in the middle.. time to move on too!
What you are effectively saying is that because Jeff is leaving we should just accept any decision Jeff makes and move on.....that makes no sense.

There are issues with how Jeff and the Board have been acting and they should be questioned and held to account. What you are suggesting is that the members don't have the business acumen to hold them to account hence should be quiet. That isn't going to happen. Poor management by the club nearly had us merged with Melbourne. Although we are now more financially viable then at that time we are going forward with a bold development that will have cost pressures (expect between 20-40%) and have sold our pokies cash cows (I am for that decision BTW). So we could very easily lose our position of being a strong off field financial club. We, being the members, need to be asking the hard questions and holding this Board and future Boards to account for their decisions. Not sitting back and hoping it will be alright.

Our mighty club has won 4 premierships in the past 13 years, we have a young exciting new coach and have a young exciting team on the up. We are one of only 3 (I think I recall correctly) clubs that receive no hand outs from the AFL. We have a huge pile of money in the bank, we exited pokies with great deals and we are well down the track to building what will most likely be the best facilities in Australian sport.

Ignorance is bliss, eh.

What you are effectively saying is that because Jeff is leaving we should just accept any decision Jeff makes and move on.....that makes no sense.

There are issues with how Jeff and the Board have been acting and they should be questioned and held to account...
Fair enough.

Could you please post the issues?

Ah the ‘you don’t like Jeff argument’ I wouldn’t want a labor pollie either.

As for the success? Didn’t that apply too in 91-96? 5 flags the previous decade, and 3 the decade before that.

AFL peeps were all to happy to sign off on the downgrade of the Hawthorn name

I make no apology for my paranoia, maybe after another decade it might wane

Mate, you need to change your medication.

it’s not a matter of hatred of Kennett - I don’t think that expression has been used on this forum at all.
There’s certainly been criticism of Kennett for his various foot in mouth comments over the past couple of years that have embarrassed him, and the club, for which he’s apologised or retracted - or forced the club into damage control. If you’ve just landed from Mars you can probably come up to speed by googling him.

And the criticism (not hatred as you say in your over the top post) is levelled not only by people posting on this site but also by HFC members generally and the media and the wider public generally. And (are you sitting down?), there are even current board members who have been critical (not hatred) of our president.

But given that Kennett has agreed to retire, the other point you have inadvertently raised, is highly relevant. As you say, we are the most successful and respected and financially secure AFL/VFL club over the past 60 years. As you‘ve correctly pointed out, that’s a huge achievement and something to be really proud of.

So why couldn’t the nomination committee find even one person in this country of 25 million who was capable of taking on (or willing to take on) the position of president of this respected, financially successful and viable club? Instead we end up with a bloke who said he didn’t want the job. Nankivell may prove to be a fine president but that’s not the point. As others have said, there’s a fundamental lack of governance and transparency about the whole process. That’s obviously not a concern to you or many others, but it doesn’t sit well with many people inside and outside the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can categorically state that I think Jeff’s a w***er and I don’t like him

I don’t believe the process that was agreed to has been followed in the manner that was laid out - hard to believe that not one candidate met the requirements and we’ve had to fallback on a guy that apparently hasn’t been ready to or want to take on the role.

I have my concerns about the recommendation but will wait and see if he has been Kennetted

If this was a paid position I would absolutely get it - but this is a demanding, time consuming, media scrutinised role in which you get paid nothing. It honestly isn't shocking to me that there isn't a huge list of suitably qualified candidates who said yes to wanting to do the job. I think the calibre of candidate required who are Hawks people out there but many of them are in similarly demanding and visible roles that actually do pay their wages - so it makes sense that they wouldn't want to take it on. Not to mention with Dingley still in the works you need someone who has the requisite time to give the job their all.

If this was a paid position I would absolutely get it - but this is a demanding, time consuming, media scrutinised role in which you get paid nothing. It honestly isn't shocking to me that there isn't a huge list of suitably qualified candidates who said yes to wanting to do the job. I think the calibre of candidate required who are Hawks people out there but many of them are in similarly demanding and visible roles that actually do pay their wages - so it makes sense that they wouldn't want to take it on. Not to mention with Dingley still in the works you need someone who has the requisite time to give the job their all.

It shouldn’t be high media profile. It should be directing. You’d hope the dingley has paid professionals day to day

Ever watched grand designs?

There’s a glowing endorsement - the president has done more good than bad 😐
It’s a lowest of low bars.

Forget the racism, the suggestion of relocation, the bungled Clarko sacking, etc…

It’s a lowest of low bars.

Forget the racism, the suggestion of relocation, the bungled Clarko sacking, etc…
So not a fan Strapping? I find that most surprising? Your neutrality and unbiased work as a moderator is wonderful.

Good to see our club is in better hands than …… I won’t bother finishing. Clearly this post is worthy of a thread ban!

Can be the best ever, but if you bungle your own succession……..

Leader of liberal party
Hawks president Jeff mk 1
Hawks president Jeff mk 2. (Jury’s out)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back