Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2013 phantom draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grundy overrated at no.3.
Whitfield at 7?!? Hasn't done anything as yet.
Top Three = O'Meara, Crouch and Wines.

I think he means how they'll end up...

Troy Menzel?

Talented but concerned about knees. Knowing his history and his brothers history I'd have him just outside that group.

What's keeping Scharenberg in the top 10 for 2013? What about the exposed form of Kelly, Taylor or Merrett? Or even Dunstan, Crouch or Sheed?

Just wondering as well, whereabouts roughly would you have Langdon and JKH now? Still a way to go for either of them but their decision making and skills look top shelf. I think they've both been impressive for first year players and shown a bit to suggest either of them could push into discussions of the top 10 or so players of the 2013 draft longer term.

Scharenberg's form from the past is too good to ignore. He's a higher level talent for my liking and I'll back in my draft time evaluation. He was playing SANFL seniors and playing strongly. If not of injury he was deemed coming into the draft as the second best talent. He's one to re-assess next year but he'll be best 22 round 1 next year.

I'm not giving all the points to those who have produced in season one as some have stronger scope to improve. Taylor as an example, it's uncommon those sub 175cm types show all that much improvement after those first few seasons in the system. Brent Harvey is the exception but few others have done that. Kelly I don't expect to develop his game all that much either as a guy I don't see developing an inside game. Merrett is a good piece who can be a strong contributor to a team but not an A-grader. Dunstan is a strong midfielder and will have an excellent long career but a few others can catch up to him. Crouch finds the footy but ball use not great so he's not becoming a star. Sheed is good and can become a best 22 player but no star either.

Jay Kennedy-Harris can be a top 20 guy from the 2013 draft, maybe top 25 depending on how the others develop, as a small again he's developed already but I'm not sure he's got the upside of others. Tom Langdon for me is top 15 and may be top 10 all things said and done in this draft, he'll be a very productive player but lacks a little bit of star quality to become one of those absolute top guys.

Thats one hell of a talent pool. You think it could go down as the best draft ever?

Nope.

Good but hard to beat that 2001 draft with Ablett, Judd, Hodge, Ball, Bartel, Dal Santo, S.Johnson, S.Mitchell, J.Kelly, B.Lake, A.Sandilands and M.Boyd.

I just don't see nearly that same extreme best few in the league star power from as many. Will be a quite a number of very good players to come out of that draft though.

Who the hell is Gleeson? Wouldn't have him over Mayes I would
Have thought. Mayes is learning a new position but his ball use it elite if doubt I would have him outside the top 8.

Gleeson plays for Essendon. Rake thin but reads the game as well as anyone. Excellent skillset. Back or midfield looks a future star. Since the bye has been out injured but watch for him next season. He's one I feel strongly about and has excellent scope to develop.

I'd slightly favour Gleeson to Mayes who can be very good but I'd argue against the grain doesn't have as much scope to develop.

A speculative wait and see call.

After Naitanui I'm not seeing any other young ruckman I'd want more than Grundy.

No guy in the past probably 20 years has matched the impact Grundy has in that first season. Watch not only his tap work but also his physical presence, followup work and ability to drag the ball forward at contests. If he stays healthy he can be one of the best ruckmen in the game.

On Scharenberg, what's he done to go from being above Acres at draft time to now below?

More me tempering my expectations of Acres. By hand lacking some consistency which is my major knock.

Still think Acres will be one of the value picks of last years draft even if still speculative at this point. Like his scope to continue developing a lot.

After Naitanui I'm not seeing any other young ruckman I'd want more than Grundy.

No guy in the past probably 20 years has matched the impact Grundy has in that first season. Watch not only his tap work but also his physical presence, followup work and ability to drag the ball forward at contests. If he stays healthy he can be one of the best ruckmen in the game.
Agree with your views on Grundy - would love him at Port. However if I had to pick my top three he would just miss out.

I think he means how they'll end up...
Overrating Grundy and Gleeson. I would be shocked if there was a single club who would take Gleeson ahead of Mayes, Vlastuin and Stringer. Clubs would still take Menzel ahead of the bottom ten.

Kreuzer's first two season were better than Grundy's. I guess Grundy has more upside because he wears black and white.

Overrating Grundy and Gleeson. I would be shocked if there was a single club who would take Gleeson ahead of Mayes, Vlastuin and Stringer. Clubs would still take Menzel ahead of the bottom ten.

Kreuzer's first two season were better than Grundy's. I guess Grundy has more upside because he wears black and white.
Probably overrating Gleeson, but he's going to be a gun. And no, they weren't

I rate Grundy but I think there are some comparable rucks around the league in terms of impact around the ground and scope to improve. If you've got Naitanui at 1 and Grundy at 2 then where do you rate these guys in terms of young rucks: Hickey, Nicholls, Lycett, Witts? Nicholls I think projects much in the same way as Grundy and still has improvement left in his game.

I rate Grundy but I think there are some comparable rucks around the league in terms of impact around the ground and scope to improve. If you've got Naitanui at 1 and Grundy at 2 then where do you rate these guys in terms of young rucks: Hickey, Nicholls, Lycett, Witts? Nicholls I think projects much in the same way as Grundy and still has improvement left in his game.

I have Nicholls at 3. Grundy has similar athleticism and does many of the same things but is much stronger, younger, has had less injury issues and as a forward while Grundy hasn't shown it consistently yet I still see more signs with Grundy. I'm expecting big things of Nicholls though. He's that third guy I project as a dominant ruckman if he can stay healthy.

Witts probably at 4 and has really come on this year. He plays a Mumford style of game as an only ok tap ruckman but incredible followup ruckman with his tackling and second and third efforts. Finds it around the ground and is a genuine target up forward with his work on the lead incredible for a big. Tap work is main question as he has no elevation on his jump which is why I have him slightly behind.

Lycett I like and with Cox to stay on as ruck coach he's got a real opportunity to develop.

Tom Campbell I also like a lot and I'd encourage any club needing a ruckman to make a bold play for him. VFL form has been terrific, has improved every season and looks ready to go now.

Zac Smith has scope to improve still at his height and with his movement but probably hasn't yet taken that step I've hoped he would.

Hickey is on the improve but I favour others slightly to him.

I have Nicholls at 3. Grundy has similar athleticism and does many of the same things but is much stronger, younger, has had less injury issues and as a forward while Grundy hasn't shown it consistently yet I still see more signs with Grundy. I'm expecting big things of Nicholls though. He's that third guy I project as a dominant ruckman if he can stay healthy.

Witts probably at 4 and has really come on this year. He plays a Mumford style of game as an only ok tap ruckman but incredible followup ruckman with his tackling and second and third efforts. Finds it around the ground and is a genuine target up forward with his work on the lead incredible for a big. Tap work is main question as he has no elevation on his jump which is why I have him slightly behind.

Lycett I like and with Cox to stay on as ruck coach he's got a real opportunity to develop.

Tom Campbell I also like a lot and I'd encourage any club needing a ruckman to make a bold play for him. VFL form has been terrific, has improved every season and looks ready to go now.

Zac Smith has scope to improve still at his height and with his movement but probably hasn't yet taken that step I've hoped he would.

I'd agree with that assessment. I hope Nicholls stays fit, looks an exciting player.

Witts I'm particularly excited by as well. At his age and his height he already has a decent impact at the contest. The knock on Sandilands earlier in his career was that he had very little impact after the ball was tapped down. If Witts can improve his ruck work, and at 208cm and 21 you'd think he could, then he could be the dominant ruck in the competition in seasons to come.

Sheed showed more in the last quarter against Adelaide than I have seen all year should of had 2 goals that was the only dissapointing bit, but he had a impact when the game was on the line as a sub, 8 disposals and 2 shots on goal !

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just out of curiousity how do you rate Max Gawn? Dominates the VFL and shows signs at AFL level - impressed when he's played as a lone ruck but as that 2nd ruck he looks out of place. Wondering how you rated him compared to the Campbell types and where you project him to end up as a player?

Just out of curiousity how do you rate Max Gawn? Dominates the VFL and shows signs at AFL level - impressed when he's played as a lone ruck but as that 2nd ruck he looks out of place. Wondering how you rated him compared to the Campbell types and where you project him to end up as a player?

Gawn is on the improve but still a developing player. He can make it as a number one option but he's still a work in progress.

Campbell is further progressed.

Who will be the better pro? Remains to be seen. But Campbell probably at this stage until he's not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back