Kurt Tippett trade talk

Remove this Banner Ad

Think about this, if the Suns really did inform the AFL of Adelaide having special deal with Kurt then why would they only inform the AFL last Friday? Surely they were aware of it before that. I am starting to think this might be a strategy by the Suns to lure Kurt home.
Im very confident that the Crows themselves informed the afl of the dodgy contract.

As it stands the Suns have pick 2 in the PSD and probably wouldn't be looking to use that on anyone else. On top of that every single person associated with the Suns knows that a mature forward is needed yet all they do is sign two defenders and pre-select another defender for the draft? It just doesn't make sense.
If and when he enters the PSD I think that GWS will take him with pick 1.

It's no secret the Suns have been sneaky in the past with how they make things happen, would it really surprise anyone if they ended up getting him in PSD? I know the national draft is being held on the Gold Coast but does anyone know where the PSD is being held?
Why is the location of the PSD significant?

Im very confident that the Crows themselves informed the afl of the dodgy contract.

If and when he enters the PSD I think that GWS will take him with pick 1.

I read a report the Suns informed the AFL and then the Crows came clean. Could be wrong but who knows. Well yeah, obviously GWS can pick him up but Kurt/his manager did say that Kurt didn't want to play for GWS. That's not to say GWS can't draft him because they can but a tall forward doesn't seem GWS's number 1 priority right now.

Why is the location of the PSD significant?
It's not, I was just curious because I knew the ND was on the Gold Coast.

Blighty in the Courier-Mail again said it's unlikely. If he nominates a low salary, could be a chance to go for him. But if he does, GWS would take him first you'd think.
At least Tippett and management know what they're in for if they try to push us for more. I'd want Blight in the negotiation room. :D

Well this is interesting....

Giant play for Kurt
Luke Holmesby and Julian Bayard6:59 PM Mon 29 Oct, 2012
GREATER Western Sydney will recruit out-of-contract forward Kurt Tippett - if it can afford him.

Giants CEO Dave Matthews confirmed the club had today discussed the controversial former Crow at a football sub-committee meeting.

"Now that it looks like Kurt Tippett is into one of the next couple of drafts clearly it means he is someone we should be discussing. We did that today, we had a football sub-committee and Sheeds was in that. He was the subject of plenty of discussons," Matthews told Melbourne radio SEN on Monday evening.

The meeting included Matthews, coach Kevin Sheedy, Sheedy's understudy Leon Cameron, list manager Stephen Silvagni and football chief Graeme Allan.

Giants have the first three picks at the NAB AFL Draft and the first pick at the pre-season draft.

The AFL is investigating an exit clause in the contract Tippet signed with the Crows in 2009.

The league blocked any potential Tippett move during the Gillette AFL Trade Period, which ended last Friday, while it continued its investigation.

He didn't get his wish to move to the Swans but could still find himself based in the harbour city.

The Giants' tall forward stocks run deep, with promising signs from Jeremy Cameron and No.1 draft pick Jonathon Patton in their debut seasons while rugby league convert Israel Folau continues to learn the craft.

But Matthews said the Giants would be open to further boosting their tall forward depth with Tippett.

"If he is affordable then we'd look to select him for sure. He's 25, he's right in the prime of his career, he's a tall player that we probably lack in the ruck and if he's affordable then we'll have the opportunity so we'll wait and see what happens over the next couple of weeks."

Matthews' comments came shortly after Adelaide list manager David Noble spoke publicly for the first time since the AFL confirmed it would investigate Tippett's last contract.

Noble took to the Adelaide airwaves to reassure Crows fans he was trying to be as active as possible in the trade period despite the dramas surrounding Tippett.

"It's been a horrible couple of weeks. Having said that, we were still active behind the scenes to try to leverage someone out to work our needs with another key defender or another outside runner," Noble told Adelaide radio FIVEaa on Tuesday.

"But our fans need to understand we weren't sitting, feeling sorry for ourselves. We were as active as we could be."

You would have to think if they draft Kurt he wouldn't sign anything more than a one year deal or maybe the minimum draft contract is two years? Could end up around this time in 12 months Kurt could be getting traded from GWS to the Suns. Haha call me crazy but this saga with Kurt finally getting to the Suns could keep going for a while yet.

If kurt nominates the PSD and not the ND what sort of leverage does he have to get past GWS's first pick if he doesn't want to play for them?
I will be extremely pissed off if KT just falls into GWS's lap.

If kurt nominates the PSD and not the ND what sort of leverage does he have to get past GWS's first pick if he doesn't want to play for them?
I will be extremely pissed off if KT just falls into GWS's lap.
Seems like that's exactly what could happen unfortunately!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was always favourite to go to GWS. If they do pick him up though, they're going to very much struggle to keep their new generation.

GWS can easily afford Tippett if they want him. They have the largest salary cap in the league, and will do so for many many years to come.

GWS were never going to keep all their kids, just like we won't keep all of ours. Both clubs will continue to lose kids as playing lists settle. Some will be let go, others will walk, some will be poached.

As far as GWS's salary cap is concerned, they were expected and had the cap space to sign at least 1 or 2 more big name signings this free agency period such as Goddard or Cloke but it never eventuated. Tippett is simply their replacement as the big $$$ signing this year. It is already budgeted for.

GWS only have Davis, Ward, Scully & Palmer on big $$$. McDonald and Power have retired, Cornes, Brogan & O'Hailipan won't be far behind and the AFL will be paying the majority of Folau's salary. That leaves ample room for the club to secure Tippett, and lock in their best dozen kids as the years progress.

I hope they get him, he could definitely help their structure, just like he would of ours.

All true, WrongUn. But with the Giants having recently re-signed seven of their young stars (though still having a few out of contract), you would think the money they would be able to offer him wouldn't be as great as before. Not to mention their new high draft picks coming in. Their inflated cap starts coming down next year, I think? So it's just tricky to manage. I've always said that the Suns will have difficult holding on to everyone. But this is doubly hard for the Giants, who have been given far more elite youngsters than us. There is literally not enough room in their 22 for all of their first round picks + 17 year old access players + NT selections + senior bodies.

Just be interesting to see how it goes, I suppose. I would have thought that putting out the 800k or so for Tippett would have been a bogus call, especially considering they have still got to re-sign Patton. If they could get him for 600k I'd have no doubt they'd jump all over him, but they'd want to be careful if his price tag is any higher.

All true, WrongUn. But with the Giants having recently re-signed seven of their young stars (though still having a few out of contract), you would think the money they would be able to offer him wouldn't be as great as before. Not to mention their new high draft picks coming in. Their inflated cap starts coming down next year, I think? So it's just tricky to manage. I've always said that the Suns will have difficult holding on to everyone. But this is doubly hard for the Giants, who have been given far more elite youngsters than us. There is literally not enough room in their 22 for all of their first round picks + 17 year old access players + NT selections + senior bodies.

Just be interesting to see how it goes, I suppose. I would have thought that putting out the 800k or so for Tippett would have been a bogus call, especially considering they have still got to re-sign Patton. If they could get him for 600k I'd have no doubt they'd jump all over him, but they'd want to be careful if his price tag is any higher.

Shouldn't have a problem accommodating Tippetts amount..Worse case scenario it's a matter of renegotiating the recycled players wages..like extending the time on Scully's $6 million payments..(2 million paid in his 1st year.).. add that to Power & McDonalds wages, they would have been on good money (250k to 350k each) more likely the higher end as they were playing coaches...Hombsch has been traded back to SA and they're still to delist players...

Not a single kid according to the giants profile page

Well, you know.....s**t. Ah well, its their parents' fault that they settled in inferior states anyway. Just did Cairns on the weekend, scuba dived the reef and sky dived Mission Beach. I'm going to be really sad when I have to leave, although if there are any girls out there that are looking for American citizenship, drop me a line, maybe we can help each other!

Well, you know.....s**t. Ah well, its their parents' fault that they settled in inferior states anyway. Just did Cairns on the weekend, scuba dived the reef and sky dived Mission Beach. I'm going to be really sad when I have to leave, although if there are any girls out there that are looking for American citizenship, drop me a line, maybe we can help each other!

What about you getting Australian citizenship instead of stealing one of chicks :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back